Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   500M : Noise on line? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709553)

ozsat 25-11-2020 20:23

Noise on line?

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone any idea what may cause these odd readings?

Signal levels are spot on during the peak times - but download/upload rates and pings seem to get hit. Also get a lot of RS errors at same time.

The readings continue to be all over the place when all devices connected to the hub are powered off.

We had these last week and we had a visit.

Even though our neighbour has same issues too they could not find a local issue and it was passed on to networks.

The issue then cleared for 3-4 days but has returned.

SirThomas 28-11-2020 17:37

Re: Noise on line?

Well the packet loss is never a good thing (red), but the periods of high average latency might suggest periods of very heavy bandwidth use. What're your modem levels like (screenshots are the best)?

Tom

ozsat 28-11-2020 18:05

4 Attachment(s)
I think it is somebody with some dodgy kit locally.

The last 24 hours show it is intermittant.

Signal levels look very good to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirThomas (Post 36060172)
Well the packet loss is never a good thing (red), but the periods of high average latency might suggest periods of very heavy bandwidth use. What're your modem levels like (screenshots are the best)?

Tom

SirThomas 29-11-2020 15:56

1 Attachment(s)
The levels are a bit 'off' but shouldn't cause an immediate threat (unless they're moving around). Be more interesting to see the upstream.

Those repetitive spikes in the early morning are very odd. Pop a screenshot of the upstream page and the last few log entries (see if any tally with your spikes).

Tom

Image shows how a maxing-out of my line would impact the TBB plots, for ref...

ozsat 29-11-2020 19:19

1 Attachment(s)
There is no log entry since 23 Nov - apart from the reboots I did which say 1970.

The spikes seem to match RS errors rising but do not generate anything in the log.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirThomas (Post 36060256)
The levels are a bit 'off' but shouldn't cause an immediate threat (unless they're moving around). Be more interesting to see the upstream.

Those repetitive spikes in the early morning are very odd. Pop a screenshot of the upstream page and the last few log entries (see if any tally with your spikes).

Tom

Image shows how a maxing-out of my line would impact the TBB plots, for ref...

General Maximus 29-11-2020 23:46

Yeah there is a problem with noise on the line. Your downstream power levels are absolutely fine, upstream is also with spec although on the low side. You can tell there is a noise issue because all four upstream channels have dropped down to qam16 and they should be qam64. When things go back to normal you will see them flap to qam32 and then to qam64 when everything is hunky dory. If it was passed to networks on Wednesday it should have been fixed by now.

ozsat 30-11-2020 07:11

It was passed to networks on 18th Nov - so is nearly two weeks now.

I'll rechase today if still an issue after a reboot.

Thank you SirThomas and General Maximum