Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin pulling out of PAYG (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709154)

nodrogd 22-06-2020 22:23

Virgin pulling out of PAYG

Virgin will cease providing PAYG mobile by the end of July 2020.

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/s...you-go-closure

Edit: Looks as if somebody has jumped the gun on releasing this page. The closure is being delayed due to COVID-19. PAYG customers will be included in the upcoming SIM migration.

cheekyangus 22-06-2020 22:40

Re: Virgin pulling out of PAYG

Doh! Thanks for the heads-up.

Mr K 23-06-2020 08:59

Their loss, a lot of people prefer payg.

Hugh 23-06-2020 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36040812)
Their loss, a lot of people prefer payg.

It’s probably currently "their loss", which is why they will be leaving that market.

cheekyangus 23-06-2020 09:32

One of their tiny rivals already had dedicated Virgin Mobile page when I looked last night trying to get business. They had done a pretty good job and I was impressed they were so quick off the mark. The catch was that tou had to top-up every 120 days and minimum top-up was £10. So ultra-low users would be spending more they wanted even when not using it.

Mr K 23-06-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36040816)
Its probably currently "their loss", which is why they will be leaving that market.

Which is why such customers would be advised to leave VM and take their numbers with them.

EE have been trying to get me off payg for ages, I'm still on an old Orange tariff, it only costs me a few tops up a year. Unless there's a contract for less than £3 a month, I'll be hanging on to it !

cheekyangus 23-06-2020 10:51

Out of curiousity nodrogd where did you find out? I've not seen anything official. How would someone find that webpage?

joglynne 23-06-2020 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36040836)
Out of curiousity nodrogd where did you find out? I've not seen anything official. How would someone find that webpage?

Not sure if it's the same source nodrogd found but here's a link to the current VM page.

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/s...you-go-closure
snippet posted in case this page is withdrawn.
Quote:

Pay As You Go is ending

What’s happening?
Virgin Media’s Pay As You Go service is coming to an end by July 2020.

This means if you’re still on one of our Pay As You Go plans, your SIM will stop working.

We’ll drop you a text closer to the date to let you know when exactly yours will end.

I’m on a Pay As You Go plan. What do I do?
You have a few options to choose from.

You can switch over to one of our fuss-free monthly plans. Check them out virginmedia.com/leaveus.

We’ve also got an exclusive 30-day rolling mobile plan deal for you:

£5 gets you 200 mins, 200 texts and 200MB of data (subject to a credit check)
Or if you’d rather stick to a pay as you go plan, you can swap over to another provider. Just make sure to grab your PAC virginmedia.com/leaveus to keep your mobile number. If you don’t do this before your end date, you’ll lose your mobile number.

cheekyangus 23-06-2020 11:12

Thanks joglynne, I'd seen that. My point was that I was curious how anyone knew this page existed. Did they get an email or text, for instance?

nodrogd 23-06-2020 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36040836)

It was bought up by one of the other VIPs on the forum. Nobody at the time was denying it was official, & as the page was public (& still is) I posted it.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36040819)
One of their tiny rivals already had dedicated Virgin Mobile page when I looked last night trying to get business. They had done a pretty good job and I was impressed they were so quick off the mark. The catch was that tou had to top-up every 120 days and minimum top-up was £10. So ultra-low users would be spending more they wanted even when not using it.

Not a catch you want for an emergency phone.

Tesco mobile are still selling PAYG Lite aiming at this market, as are ASDA mobile. Similar tariff to Simply 8p that my parents have.

cheekyangus 23-06-2020 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36040862)
It was bought up by one of the other VIPs on the forum. Nobody at the time was denying it was official, & as the page was public (& still is) I posted it.

Thanks.

A VIP has just posted the following on an official forums thread.

"IT IS POSPONED.....
The Web Page was put up in error.
PAYG customers will continue to get the new SIM cards for now"

Mr K 27-06-2020 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36040864)
Thanks.

A VIP has just posted the following on an official forums thread.

"IT IS POSPONED.....
The Web Page was put up in error.
PAYG customers will continue to get the new SIM cards for now"

Sounds like its something in the pipeline but somebody announced it too soon !