Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Christmas (2021) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710645)

Carth 05-12-2021 13:07

Christmas (2021)

It's here isn't it.

I can tell because the wife has cleared a big space in a corner of the lounge ready for the tree. That bit's always bags of fun . . "move it left a touch . . I said left . . no not that far, you've covered mums photo, back a bit . . why is the top bit leaning over?" . . and then there's all the bells, baubles, lights and tinsel to go on it, that's usually 3 hours before it looks perfect from 25ft. Not that it stays perfect of course, not with 2 cats that find the shiny glittery things interesting and a Shi-Tzu that is too stupid to differentiate between 'bauble' and 'ball'

Two days ago she came home from a quick (2 hour) trip to the shops, handed me 2 packs of small rubber sucker things with clips on . . my enquiring look got the answer "to stick round the window frames so you can hang the spare lights on them". Spare lights, that's another thing. I remember the good old days when we only had one set . . now we have 4, thankfully not of the 'bulb' type that had you scrambling for the spares every year.
This morning I dragged all the boxes and bags down from the loft so in a few hours time this place will look like Santas grotto, battery powered singing and dancing snowmen, reindeer, elves and robins, all being placed onto any available surface, I just hope the wifi signal stays strong.

Yesterday she spent a few hours sitting at the kitchen table surrounded by christmas cards and doing an impersonation of a best selling authour at a book signing . . "this ones for Brian and Helen . . next is to Carl, Babs and family . . to Mavis and the dogs, merry crimbo *woof woof*" . . who are all these people? Is she doing the whole of Facebook?. . ah well, she's happy enough I guess.

It's not that I don't like Christmas, but next week she'll also be asking (nagging) me why I'm not wearing the 'christmas pudding' jumper and the cute slippers with fluffy reindeer heads on the front.

Oh bugger, just remembered the inlaws are coming for dinner this year too . . .

Jaymoss 05-12-2021 13:15

Re: Christmas (2021)

Well that certainly made me laugh so I thank you for your story hahahaha

Russ 05-12-2021 13:20

1 Attachment(s)
The Mrs is an absolute Christmas geek. This is our front room right now. Been this way for 3 weeks.

Hom3r 05-12-2021 13:26

Our decorations always have gone up on the day before my birthday (13th)

Last year was different, i nearly didn't bother as we had lost my mum on Sept 30th, but I told my dad that mum would be telling us to put the blooming things up.

Mr K 05-12-2021 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104386)

Best thing to do is get a dose of Omicron and have to self isolate. If you don't fancy that , a false positive test- you can easily draw a line with a biro . No visitors allowed.

Last year was bliss, I'm getting to like this virus. :)

joglynne 05-12-2021 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104386)
It's here isn't it.

I can tell because the wife has cleared a big space in a corner of the lounge ready for the tree. That bit's always bags of fun . . "move it left a touch . . I said left . . no not that far, you've covered mums photo, back a bit . . why is the top bit leaning over?" . . and then there's all the bells, baubles, lights and tinsel to go on it, that's usually 3 hours before it looks perfect from 25ft. Not that it stays perfect of course, not with 2 cats that find the shiny glittery things interesting and a Shi-Tzu that is too stupid to differentiate between 'bauble' and 'ball'

Two days ago she came home from a quick (2 hour) trip to the shops, handed me 2 packs of small rubber sucker things with clips on . . my enquiring look got the answer "to stick round the window frames so you can hang the spare lights on them". Spare lights, that's another thing. I remember the good old days when we only had one set . . now we have 4, thankfully not of the 'bulb' type that had you scrambling for the spares every year.
This morning I dragged all the boxes and bags down from the loft so in a few hours time this place will look like Santas grotto, battery powered singing and dancing snowmen, reindeer, elves and robins, all being placed onto any available surface, I just hope the wifi signal stays strong.

Yesterday she spent a few hours sitting at the kitchen table surrounded by christmas cards and doing an impersonation of a best selling authour at a book signing . . "this ones for Brian and Helen . . next is to Carl, Babs and family . . to Mavis and the dogs, merry crimbo *woof woof*" . . who are all these people? Is she doing the whole of Facebook?. . ah well, she's happy enough I guess.

It's not that I don't like Christmas, but next week she'll also be asking (nagging) me why I'm not wearing the 'christmas pudding' jumper and the cute slippers with fluffy reindeer heads on the front.

Sounds like me and John. I've just spent 3 hours writing cards. The decorating starts tomorrow if I can catch him before he jumps ship. Funny how as soon as I mention getting all the stuff from the garage he suddenly needs to go out to see about ........... enter any excuse you want, I've heard them all over the years. Even to him spending the day in A & E with a very convenient broken leg. Gosh the length you men will go to. :D

heero_yuy 05-12-2021 14:40

We won't be "doing" Christmas 'til next weekend. IMHO it starts far to early these days.

Paul 05-12-2021 15:22

We dont put anything up until the 2nd week of Dec (after my Daughters birthday).
They generally come down after New Years day.

Maggy 05-12-2021 16:18

Personally I tend to stick to the 12 days of Christmas..starting on the evening of Christmas Eve.I refuse to get up and decorate on Christmas Day as I will have far too much to do.;)

Dude111 05-12-2021 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
We dont put anything up until the 2nd week of Dec (after my Daughters birthday).

I have been noticing here hardily anyone has anything up this year. Evn last year was more than it is now..

Haridly any christmas trees up,etc........... People are so miserable now.. (Especially the VAXXED (Alot of them have been meaner to me than they used to be))

Paul 05-12-2021 21:14

Right, becasue a well known side effect is meaness :erm:

mrmistoffelees 06-12-2021 10:04

Yearly ritual of Christmas afternoon tea at the tontine this Saturday (didnt make it last year for obvious reasons> Tree will go up on Sunday, meat & seafood ordered and ready for collection on the 23rd, All the christmas presents bought & just need wrapping up.

Three more days (including today) then I'm finished at work until Jan 4th (I'll give it till Friday before the phone goes...) until then, sat with the dogs watching nonsense on TV or playing on the PS5/XBOXX until i get bored and decide to do some work !

Can. Not. Wait!!!!

papa smurf 06-12-2021 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104468)
Yearly ritual of Christmas afternoon tea at the tontine this Saturday (didnt make it last year for obvious reasons> Tree will go up on Sunday, meat & seafood ordered and ready for collection on the 23rd, All the christmas presents bought & just need wrapping up.

Three more days (including today) then I'm finished at work until Jan 4th (I'll give it till Friday before the phone goes...) until then, sat with the dogs watching nonsense on TV or playing on the PS5/XBOXX until i get bored and decide to do some work !

Can. Not. Wait!!!!

Is that one of those more plate than food joints?

mrmistoffelees 06-12-2021 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104469)
Is that one of those more plate than food joints?

No?

papa smurf 06-12-2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104471)
No?

ok?