Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Amazon : Star Trek: Picard (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707686)

General Maximus 21-02-2020 21:41

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Don't get your hopes up, this is a 3 season story arc which is why it has been guaranteed 3 seasons.

SnoopZ 01-03-2020 20:08

Great episode this week.

Pierre 01-03-2020 20:27

Yes it moved along a bit quicker.

General Maximus 01-03-2020 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36026084)
Great episode this week.

I have got my tissues ready for next week's ep

Chris 01-03-2020 20:57

It’s immersive. Star Trek, but not as we know it. Authentically the world we know from TNG and its spin offs, but with depth and texture in exquisite detail the original shows, at their very best, could only ever hint at. I am absolutely loving it.

cimt 01-03-2020 21:02

From what i've read though, the reason it is so different is because of who owned what rights to the shows and movies. Shows have to be 25% different or something along them lines. Blame the splitting and merging of CBS/Paramount/Viacom.

Chris 01-03-2020 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36026090)
From what i've read though, the reason it is so different is because of who owned what rights to the shows and movies. Shows have to be 25% different or something along them lines. Blame the splitting and merging of CBS/Paramount/Viacom.

The careless splitting of rights between CBS Paramount and Viacom certainly made Discovery an exceptionally difficult project to take on. Not only did they have to contend with a well-explored shared writers’ universe, but they had to remain mindful of which aspects of it they simply weren’t allowed to reuse. None of which excuses the dog’s breakfast they made of the early episodes, which were only partly rectified later on.

However, in Picard they have been able to shift into the future in real time, Picard having aged by the same amount that Pat Stewart has, and have distanced themselves sufficiently from the original time period that any changes they make simply look like reasonable technological progress or political change.

It also helps that the modern fashion, driven by the needs of streaming service providers, is for big screen cinematography and an overriding story arc told across about 8-12 episodes, rather than two dozen standalone episodes intended to fill an American broadcast season and make rapid progress towards the magic 100 that sees the property safely into eternal syndication. People won’t put up with wafer thin plotlines, Spartan sets, pedestrian camera work or a quota of episodes that barely use the main cast or stick to one or two permanent sets because all the money’s been spent on one set-piece FX shot in episode 9. It looked great in 1990 but time has passed.

Pierre 04-03-2020 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36026086)
I have got my tissues ready for next week's ep

It’s not that kind of show...............dirty boy.

SnoopZ 04-03-2020 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36026348)
It’s not that kind of show...............dirty boy.

:D

General Maximus 07-03-2020 16:23

I flipping loved this weeks ep. I read an interview a while ago with the shows creator Alex Kurtzman and he said that they weren't going to do fan service and old characters would only be in the series if the story needs them to be but they are clearly going out of their way in terms of nostalgia and trying to make it as close to the heart as possible whilst making it look new and different. There are so many little things in each episode which are a nod to the past and I love it.
I have previously said that I would love to see the entire TNG cast reunited and on screen at the same time, even if it was only for one scene in a single episode. They are clearly trying to pace themselves at the moment and treat us with something different each episode. As this is a three-season story arc and we know Guinan is coming back in season 2 I am hoping they eventually get Geordie and Worf back and however the story goes, the season (and maybe series) 3 finale has them all together. It will be a very special moment.

Stephen 07-03-2020 19:06

I am sure that the plan wasn't to base the entire episode round Troi and Riker. But to only feature them. However mid way through filming Kurtzman was replaced and head of the show and there may have been a large number of changes, bit like on Discovery.

It was fantastic seeing the three of them interacting again and just having great chemistry still, after so much time.

There was also a prequel comic series of 3 or 4 issues leading into the show. Which focussed on the exaction of the Romulans with Picard and Raffi. Geordi was in a small part of one issue and he was on Mars heading up the shipworms, so would likely have been there during the attacks.

Chris 07-03-2020 20:53

Last night’s episode was definitely one for the fans. I absolutely loved it - even my daughter was excited to see Troi and Riker were the wild blonde girl’s parents (my daughter is a wild blonde girl). I know they’ve been very clear that they have a story to tell and they’re not just doing fan service, but there has to be a bit of room for finding out whatever happened to whoever, and a lot of far more minor characters from the TNG canon have already had screen time so there’s no harm in catching up with some of the main characters either.

General Maximus 09-03-2020 18:51

I don't think people appreciate how much TLC goes into each episode. I am not normally one to read too much into the production side of things and like to enjoy things for what they are but a channel popped up on my recommended list for youtube so out of curiosity I watch one episode and there was loads of stuff I missed in that weeks episode (4 I think) such as a reference to Quark. You should take a look and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7ZVO62rTrYTQWp

Pierre 27-03-2020 20:08

I’ve loved Picard but the whole

Spoiler: 
Picard is now an Android

Oh come on, it just ruins it, makes anything else coming seem artificial. Not happy at all with that outcome.

Paul 27-03-2020 20:20

Why ?

I dont have a problem with it, after all, he was partly artificial already.