Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Amazon : Star Trek: Picard (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707686)

cupcakes aka dd 13-05-2019 15:49

Star Trek: Picard

The new Picard series will stream on Amazon Prime in the UK

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Amazon Prime Video and CBS Studios International are making it so, striking an exclusive international agreement for the upcoming Star Trek series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart reprising his signature role as Jean-Luc Picard. Amazon Prime Video will be the exclusive streaming home of the new series in more than 200 countries and territories, outside of the U.S. and Canada, it was announced today in a joint statement by CBS Studios International and Amazon Prime Video. Under the multi-year agreement with CBS, each episode will be available on Amazon Prime Video within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

The new Star Trek series features Sir Patrick Stewart reprising his role as the venerable Jean-Luc Picard, which he played for seven seasons on Star Trek: Next Generation. The series will follow this iconic character in the next chapter of his life.

“There’s only one word that can begin to describe Sir Patrick Stewart as Starship Commander Jean-Luc Picard, and that’s ‘legendary,’” said series executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “We are thrilled beyond measure to have him back in command, bringing the optimistic messages of Star Trek to audiences around the world.”

“We’re thrilled to partner with CBS to bring the newest edition of the storied Star Trek franchise to our international Amazon Prime Video customers,” said Brad Beale, Vice President, Worldwide Content Licensing for Amazon Prime Video. “With the incredible Sir Patrick Stewart returning as the beloved Jean-Luc Picard, we’re excited we can give Trek fans both old and new the opportunity to see him back in action. It’s a terrific addition to our already robust catalog of exclusive Amazon Prime Video content.”

“For 50 years, the Star Trek series have been a global sensation, spanning generations and audiences of all ages. It’s an honor to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back for what is sure to be another world-class extension of the historic franchise,” said Armando Nuñez, President and Chief Executive Officer, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We look forward to working with the team at Amazon Prime Video to bring this next chapter of the incredible Star Trek franchise to its passionate international fan base.”

In the U.S., the series will be available exclusively on CBS All Access, CBS’ direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, which is available on all major digital platforms including Amazon Prime Video Channels and Fire TV.

Alongside Stewart, the series will also star Alison Pill (The Newsroom), Harry Treadaway (Penny Dreadful), Isa Briones (American Crime Story: Versace), Santiago Cabrera (Salvation), newcomer Evan Evagora, and Michelle Hurd (Blindspot). The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Michael Chabon, Akiva Goldsman, James Duff, Patrick Stewart, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers. Aaron Baiers (Secret Hideout) will serve as co-executive producer and Kirsten Beyer will serve as supervising producer.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

http://bit.ly/APV-Picard

Gavin78 15-05-2019 17:35

Re: Unnamed Star Trek Picard Series

It will be interesting to see where this sits with fans after being off air for so long. Discovery being a bit more fast paced and in your face and the orville being laid back

Chris 15-05-2019 17:57

Netflix has dropped the ball here I think.

General Maximus 16-05-2019 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35994994)
Netflix has dropped the ball here I think.

I agree, I imagine there was a fierce bidding war for it but given that a) Netflix has got Discovery and b) how high profile the new series is going to be you would have though Netflix would want it at all costs. It is good for Amazon though to add a quality scifi series to their portfolio to join the like of The Expanse.

The new series is called Star Trek: Picard

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-...upfronts-title

I'll update the thread title accordingly because I am sure there will be much discussion and excitement going forward.

Chris 16-05-2019 17:48

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Anyhow.

I’m very excited about this. Through Discovery they’ve learned a few lessons about how far you can “visually reboot” Trek without losing the fan base, and Sir Patrick has an exec producer credit on this new show. He’s a damn fine actor, he made Picard what he is, you can be sure he has a very good idea how the character developed post-Starfleet. I think we’re in for a treat.

Stephen 16-05-2019 20:27

First I am so excited to have Picard back on screens but am gutted it's gone to Amazon.

Secondly there was a screen shot released from the teaser shown to the media and it shows Picard in black with a Starfleet officer/cadet in background wearing what looks like a DS9/Voyager era Starfleet uniform.

I think this will keep the visual aesthetic we know.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2019/05/9.jpg

General Maximus 17-05-2019 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35995156)
I think this will keep the visual aesthetic we know.[/IMG]

fantastic, if they are clever they have listened to all the grumblings about Discovery and are going back to core Trek. I can't wait to see what the rating are like.

Paul 21-05-2019 19:18

Do Amazon release ratings ?

Stephen 21-05-2019 19:24

Not sure if they do. Don't remember seeing any from them.

General Maximus 21-05-2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35995672)
Do Amazon release ratings ?

not officially for every series but I am sure they'll been keen to tout them if they are good and I imagine the media will be filing official requests for them because everyone is going to want a comparison between Discovery and Picard and I think Netflix/CBS and Amazon are eager to know which is the winning formula with viewers. I think the popular acclaim of The Orville has already steered them in the right direction. It is really sad but in terms of learning, the interesting thing for me now in terms pure Trek and going back to its roots is whether or not we can get a proper space intro/title sequence with a proper theme. I don't want to jinx it but I am very hopeful it will all be done properly and we'll love it.

pip08456 23-05-2019 19:37

The first teaser.

Chris 23-05-2019 20:36

:hyper:

So he’s gone to take on the family business then ...

pip08456 20-07-2019 21:42

Breaking..

Jeryi Ryan, Brent Spiner and Jonathan Del Arco will be returning for Picard. It will be good to see Seven of Nine, Data and Third of Five again.

General Maximus 20-07-2019 22:02

Really really important, make sure your curtains are closed and you have got absolute silence. Scroll down half way for the trailer:

https://intl.startrek.com/news/brent...rd-sdcc-hall-h

Stephen 20-07-2019 22:55

Direct trailer link

General Maximus 20-07-2019 23:15

Excellent, i have been dying to send it around on whatsapp

Chris 21-07-2019 00:16

SQUEEEE :hyper:

Stephen 21-07-2019 06:48

That is all kinds of awesomeness.

General Maximus 21-07-2019 07:59

yup, it is absolutely fantastic that they have got some of the old cast back. Season one is going to be fully fleshed out now but I hope they can come up with a way to get Worf and Geordie in to season 2, even if it is only for one episode. Seeing everyone together again will be amazing.

denphone 21-07-2019 08:40

The great man returns.:D

Paul 21-07-2019 19:31

I dont think Seven and Picard ever met in the previous series, not that I recall anyway.

Chris 21-07-2019 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36003631)
I dont think Seven and Picard ever met in the previous series, not that I recall anyway.

No, they never did, but as his partial assimilation became a more prominent part of his backstory in the movies that followed the series (and as the new series seems to be about the Borg in some way) it makes sense to feature Seven in it. Her dialogue in the teaser suggests they have got to know each other in the intervening years.

Plus, Jeri Ryan. You can’t not, can you? :D

Pierre 21-07-2019 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003632)
No, they never did, but as his partial assimilation became a more prominent part of his backstory in the movies that followed the series (and as the new series seems to be about the Borg in some way) it makes sense to feature Seven in it. Her dialogue in the teaser suggests they have got to know each other in the intervening years.

Plus, Jeri Ryan. You can’t not, can you? :D

No one ever carried off a cat suit like her, and probably never will.

General Maximus 21-07-2019 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003632)
Her dialogue in the teaser suggests they have got to know each other in the intervening years:D

yeah, it would be nice if they did some flashbacks to fill that part of the story in plus it will be great from Seven's point of view in character development because there is a big jump from Seven as we know her (Borgy) to how she appears to be now

ThunderPants73 10-08-2019 16:01

Ooh lovely, another subscription. Not.

SnoopZ 10-08-2019 16:14

Very pleased this is on Amazon seeing i have it, if it wasn't i would watch it via Kodi!

Stephen 10-08-2019 17:09

I don't have Amazon, however my brother does. So will be using his login.

He has been using my Netflix to Watch Discovery and Stranger Things.

Paul 10-08-2019 17:36

It will always be available from "alternative" sources ;)

SnoopZ 10-08-2019 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36005627)
It will always be available from "alternative" sources ;)

Absolutely. :D

General Maximus 21-08-2019 11:52

Just found out they are planning another set of 6 shorts. The good news is that these ones aren't going to be Discovery-centric. I think they have listened to the feedback and three of the episodes are going to be based on the Enterprise with Captain Pike, Spock and Number One. The last episode is going to be a prequel to the new Picard series and will take place 15 years before the series begins so if my maths is correct that is going to place round about where we last saw him.

Stephen 21-08-2019 12:00

It will be about 5 years after Nemesis and possibly will reveal the events that lead him to retire from Starfleet.

1701-e 21-08-2019 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36006881)
Just found out they are planning another set of 6 shorts. The good news is that these ones aren't going to be Discovery-centric.....

So who will get these outside of the US? Netflix or Amazon?

Bids please!

Paul 21-08-2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36006891)
So who will get these outside of the US? Netflix or Amazon?

Bids please!

Other sources ;)

General Maximus 21-08-2019 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36006891)
So who will get these outside of the US? Netflix or Amazon?!

Amazon own the distribution rights for the Picard series and they are also showing this "second season" of shorts.

Stephen 21-08-2019 16:19

They are? I knew they have Picard but thought as Netflix had Discoveet and Short Trek already that they would have them again.

General Maximus 21-08-2019 16:42

My bad, I misread it. I am sure they have already got it sorted out but it is going to be interesting given that the Pike and Spock stories will be Netflix owned stuff and the Picard short will be Amazon you would have thought. That being said, the whole conversation might be mute because I don't think Netflix showed the first lot of shorts, I think they were only available through CBS online in the US.

BenMcr 21-08-2019 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36006920)
because I don't think Netflix showed the first lot of shorts, I think they were only available through CBS online in the US.

They do, but they've buried them under 'Trailers & More' and have never promoted them. Apparently they only got them as a free addition as part the Season 2 package - they originally weren't going to carry them as CBS wanted Netflix to pay extra for them

Some of Season 2 references them so would have been odd if they weren't available.

Stephen 21-08-2019 17:01

The short trek episodes weren't part of the Discovery deal. However they did get shown on Netflix after a few months and a deal was done. It maybe all but the Picard one will be on Netflix. As there are 3 based on the Pike Enterprise and a Picard one and the final 2 are animated.

Paul 21-08-2019 20:48

Has anyone actually watched the shorts ?

General Maximus 21-08-2019 20:55

Yeah, they are absolutely rubbish. You can tell it is something they got the weaker characters to do inbetween filming the normal eps. "Hey, you are not needed for the next couple of hours so shall we pop over to the mess hall and you can pretend to act and we'll make a shitty story where we break established starfleet rules and regulations?".

They are only 15 minutes and you blast through them in no time but you honestly ask.yourself at the end of each one "whyyyyyyyyy?"

Stephen 21-08-2019 20:55

I have. A couple were pretty good and there are things in season 2 that follow on from the first one in particular which was centred on Tilly and the queen that shows up at the end of season 2.

I also enjoyed Calypso, which may or may not reveal what happened to Discovery after a long time in the future.

The one with Harry Mudd was also fairly decent.

They were created to shorten the time between season 1 and 2.

Paul 21-08-2019 21:11

Ive seen all of Season 2 now except the final episode.
I havent seen the shorts, and I dont think Ive missed anything.

Stephen 21-08-2019 21:40

I would even watch Runaway as that's the one that introduces the character that helps in the finale and makes friends with Tilly.

The other one was Brightest star that tells the back story of the 1st officer before he left the Kelpian planet. But if you have already seen all the episodes you might not want to.

General Maximus 23-08-2019 19:54

I liked the Kelpian episode, it was the only good one. Even though it was only 15 minutes it added so much history and enhanced the story for the main episode for me. It is a shame they couldn't someway have made it mandatory viewing or incorporated it in another episode "10 years ago..........." (or however long ago it was). The Tilly episode did my nut in big time, I wanted to smash her face in. They shouldn't have been allowed to make that episode, it goes against we know. If Star Trek was new we wouldn't know anything different but we have got decades of TNG, DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise and that episode contradicts every flipping rule and regulation in the book. What made it even more laughable is that she was supposed to be training to be an officer yet can't follow the prime directive, can't report intruders to security and can't report potential threats or first contact situations to her captain. What an absolute joke. She does my head in and has done from the start. Her character is completely false and her undisciplined and erratic behaviour would never be tolerated on the bridge of a Starfleet ship.

Stephen 24-08-2019 09:24

I like Tully, but the way I see her is a person who led a sheltered life and may or may not have ADHD or a similar learning difficulty. Who wants to do more than people said she could. I think she is fun and will prove to be very important in the next series. Without her short though the character she meets would not have been there to help when the plot required it.

I really do hope we get a confirmed start date for Picard soon.

denphone 02-09-2019 20:13

Jonathan Frakes and some of his thoughts in returning as Riker for Picard.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/...nervous-wreck/

General Maximus 02-09-2019 20:47

I can't wait to see those two together again, I hope Picard still calls him Number One.

denphone 02-09-2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36008508)
I can't wait to see those two together again, I hope Picard still calls him Number One.

l suspect your wishes will be granted.:)

1701-e 03-09-2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36008508)

Maybe though that dog collar may suggest different

Paul 05-10-2019 21:24

Picard is set to debut on CBS (All Access) on 23 Jan 2020.

Riker & Troi are both confirmed as returning.

pip08456 05-10-2019 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36012854)
Picard is set to debut on CBS (All Access) on 23 Jan 2020.

Riker & Troi are both confirmed as returning.

Didn't take long for this to be blocked due to copyright. You'd think they would want this to be out there to generate as much interest as posible.

Chris 05-10-2019 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36012869)
Didn't take long for this to be blocked due to copyright. You'd think they would want this to be out there to generate as much interest as posible.

They did this with Discovery as well. I think it’s only to allow the trailer to appear with the correct distributor branding in each territory, which in the UK was Netflix for Discovery and is Amazon Prime for Picard. So we’re reliant on the local distributor getting their marketing effort together. IIRC it took Netflix a couple of weeks to put up the very first Discovery trailers in late 2017, but by that time the CBS version had been uploaded to YouTube so many times had they been hoping for a big bang when their version went up they’ll have been disappointed. I expect Amazon will find the same if they don’t get a move on. In the meantime I guess it’s only a matter of time before the CBS Picard trailer gets multiple unofficial uploads so perhaps we will get to see it shortly anyway.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Looks like Amazon uploaded their version about 3 hours ago. Here you go:

Paul 06-10-2019 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36012872)
Looks like Amazon uploaded their version about 3 hours ago. Here you go:

The one I posted was Amazon as well. Muppets :rolleyes:

Stephen 06-10-2019 00:47

Wow looks even better than the last trailer. Good to see Riker and Troi still together.

Data's face still looks weird, but Sooner is a lot older and heavier now.

I also spotted a ToS era Romulan Warbird during the space battle scenes. Brilliant.

denphone 06-10-2019 05:03

Tis something to warm the cockles of one's heart in cold old January.:D

Paul 06-10-2019 14:15

I wonder if Star Trek Discovery will be on at the same time, or if they'll show that later.

General Maximus 06-10-2019 17:59

I'll laugh my ass off. I think it was Pip who posted about streaming rivalry a few days ago and how Disney have banned ads for Netflix. There is no greater competition than Star Trek vs Star Trek and I would be fascinated to see the viewer stats if they did go heads to head even if only for one week before Netflix cried foul and changed the time. You can guarantee 99% of people would choose Picard over Discovery. The only viewers who would stick with Discovery are the younger "non-fans" who know nothing about TNG/DS9/Voyager. I have got a friend who is in that position atm and I am doing my best to persuade him to start TNG now otherwise he won't appreciate Picard.

Chris 06-10-2019 18:42

I’ve been working my way through ST:TNG on Netflix. Halfway through season 4 so far and absolutely loving it. It stands up really well. I only wish the photography had been done with the level of craftsmanship it should have been - i.e. assuming viewers would eventually be able to see the full widescreen picture rather than assuming they wouldn’t and being careless about things creeping into the edge of the shot. It is great in HD but the 4:3 aspect ratio does sadly detract from the overall experience.

Still, ST:Picard looks fabulous, and as they gave Sir Patrick a say in how the thing was made I think we can be confident it will look and feel authentic right from episode 1, rather than halfway through after realising that making Star Trek involves more than just putting “Star Trek” on the title card.

General Maximus 06-10-2019 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36012992)
Still, ST:Picard looks fabulous

it really does and you can already see special moments in it just from the trailers. Seeing him with Will on the bench, two old and dear friends who have been through so much, brought a lump to my throat.

Chris 06-10-2019 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36013003)
it really does and you can already see special moments in it just from the trailers. Seeing him with Will on the bench, two old and dear friends who have been through so much, brought a lump to my throat.

... and a tear to my eye. As did seeing Riker and Troi married with kids. I can’t wait to dive back into their universe.

General Maximus 06-10-2019 22:05

Me too, they know how much we love the characters and so much has happened since we last saw them. I hope we get plenty of flashbacks to fill in the story to break up what looks like an intense present day story arc.

JPAC 07-10-2019 12:19

SAGA TREK saga continues...

Paul 07-10-2019 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36013006)
As did seeing Riker and Troi married with kids.

I'm confused, where do we see this ?

General Maximus 07-10-2019 21:29

exactly 2 mins into the trailer

Paul 07-10-2019 22:05

You're making some big assumptions.

There is no evidence they are married.
No evidence that Troi is the mother of Rikers child.
No evidence of kids, only one is heard.

Pierre 07-10-2019 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36013152)

I agree, I didn’t see anything that put them together.

General Maximus 07-10-2019 22:22

True but i believe it is a reasonable assumption to make. It is highly unlikely that Riker has got together with someone else, banged out a child and then hooked up with Troi.

Chris 07-10-2019 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36013152)

I think the edit is designed to convey that impression. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. Time will tell, anyway.

General Maximus 01-01-2020 17:13

Chris 01-01-2020 17:46

I still think it’s bloody obvious Troi and Riker are married with at least one kid ...

Stephen 01-01-2020 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36021767)
I still think it’s bloody obvious Troi and Riker are married with at least one kid ...

They are. I am sure they already spoke of that a while back

pip08456 01-01-2020 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36021767)

They are definately married.

Quote:

Will Riker and Deanna married in 2379, shortly before their transfer to the USS Titan. Their wedding party in Alaska included Captain Picard as best man, Dr. Crusher as bridesmaid, and Data, La Forge, Worf, and Wesley Crusher as groomsmen. Guinan was also present. Another ceremony, a traditional Betazoid wedding, was planned on Betazed shortly following. However, that ceremony was delayed when the Enterprise was diverted to Romulus. (Star Trek Nemesis)

Link

Hugh 19-01-2020 19:31

2 Attachment(s)
Excellent marketing on the Tube.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...6&d=1579462240

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...5&d=1579462240

What’s next - Canary Worf? :D

General Maximus 19-01-2020 19:43

That's fantastic, i love stuff like that.

Stephen 19-01-2020 22:30

That's absolutely amazing.

Make it So.

denphone 20-01-2020 05:32

l like it..:D:D

Stephen 20-01-2020 09:01

There was also PA announcements recorded for the 'rebranding' too

pip08456 21-01-2020 16:56

An interesting interview with "Sir Pat"

JMcB 22-01-2020 18:27

More Great news

https://www.facebook.com/49755640402...5290495919675/

Stephen 22-01-2020 19:12

That's fantastic. Guinan will be back

General Maximus 22-01-2020 19:40

brilliant, we just need Worf and Geordie and we are sorted.

Chris 22-01-2020 19:53

The most important thing is to tell a good story, not see how many old faces they can bring back for a cameo. That’s why Stewart has refused all offers up til now, and why he said yes to this one ... clearly it is an interesting new story, not a reunion tour.

Having said that, Picard and Guinan’s relationship was nowhere near properly explored in TNG. Their out-of-time meeting in Time’s Arrow barely scratches the surface, considering how Picard said their relationship went “beyond friendship”. There has to be more to it, and seeing as Stewart has been allowed a hand on the rudder here, I’m betting he wants Whoopie Goldberg back so it can be done properly.

pip08456 23-01-2020 16:54

If the first episode is anything to go by this is going to be an awesome ride!

General Maximus 23-01-2020 17:15

I am watching Nemesis as we speak for a refresher and then I'll be watching Picard.

Chris 23-01-2020 17:19

Are we surrounded by naughty war3z-monkeys or just VPN users? :D

General Maximus 23-01-2020 17:26

Probably both

pip08456 23-01-2020 17:45

I have a VPN.

Paul 23-01-2020 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36023488)

I dont know what you mean :angel:

Good first episode. :D

General Maximus 23-01-2020 22:27

It is 100% perfect and I am not saying that because I am a fanboy. I wasn't going to moan but all day I have been preparing myself for disappointment because I thought I had set my expectations too high. It seems like I have been moaning non stop recently about new series and movies saying there is something missing, weak characters and story, ruins my realism factor etc and they just don't feel right. This felt amazing. They hit the ground running from the start and I had to hold back the tears right off the bat in the opening scene. They have struck the perfect balance between nostalgia, my realism factor and moving on with a new story and new characters. There are so many beautiful nods to the past and this is what my realism factor is all about it; making you believe the character and the world he now lives in is the same and a continuation of what you know to be.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic and if they had dropped the whole season today I would have gladly stayed up all night to watch it and not gone to work tomorrow. If they can get this right what is Discovery's excuse and all the other series? It is all about TLC, I don't know whether you noticed but Patrick Steward is an executive producer for the series. I also like the fact that we have a proper title sequence with a proper theme tune. Depending how the story line develops it would be nice if they change it to something more spacey for season 2.

Chris 23-01-2020 23:03

Discovery’s problem is that firstly, it continued the obsession with prequels, where you’re on a hiding to nothing. Writing in a shared universe is difficult enough, writing new stories behind established continuity is frightfully difficult, especially when there’s a highly engaged fan base to pick up your mistakes. And secondly they originally gave the gig to people who neither knew nor cared much about the spirit of Star Trek. I think season 2 was much, much better, and they have worked really hard to try to give convincing in-universe explanations for stuff that really didn’t fit, but ultimately they effectively threw their hands up, declared the job too hard and contrived to send them so far into the future that they couldn’t do any further damage to the continuity no matter what.

Picard’s major advantage is that Stewart has the whip hand. In order to get him back, they had no choice but to do it properly. There simply wasn’t any room for someone determined to show off their own vision of the future while junking everything we’ve come to love. Patrick Stewart only agreed to do this because he saw that the proposal was coming from people who understood the most famous character he’s ever played, understood what might happen next, and were prepared to allow Stewart to input into the development.

BenMcr 23-01-2020 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36023488)

It's now up early on Prime Video UK!

Chris 23-01-2020 23:36

Darn, I need to get to bed now :sleep:

pip08456 23-01-2020 23:48

Exec producer Alex Kurtzman on Sir Pat.

Quote:

Patrick needed to make sure that we were coming from the right place and that we wanted to protect what Next Gen means to so many people, and what his character, specifically, means to so many people. And that was really about several conversations back and forth, exploring his instincts, our instincts. Ultimately our job is to make him feel comfortable and safe and to protect the show and shield it from anything that would break it in the wrong way.

He was there [in the writers’ room] for two weeks at the beginning of the experience, sitting with the writers. Everybody was talking together about what they wanted this show to be, and that’s very special. Patrick will send us beautifully written emails about what he feels about Picard and where he feels Picard has been. That’s so inspirational.

General Maximus 24-01-2020 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36023517)
There simply wasn’t any room for someone determined to show off their own vision of the future while junking everything we’ve come to love. Patrick Stewart only agreed to do this because he saw that the proposal was coming from people who understood the most famous character he’s ever played, understood what might happen next, and were prepared to allow Stewart to input into the development.

And that's the difference, having people who care. However you want to describe it and what has happened to this series, this is what Star Wars needed. It had it for the prequel trilogy and was missing in the sequels.

Chris 24-01-2020 07:33

There’s such a thing as caring too much - a trade dispute might have been a thoroughly plausible way of fomenting the trouble necessary to make Palpatine emperor, but as the plot of a Star Wars film? Not so much.

Hugh 24-01-2020 11:03

Jar-Jar Binks was "caring"?

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Anyhoo, that first episode was excellent - not what I was expecting, but it worked for me.

Stuart 24-01-2020 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36023517)
Discovery’s problem is that firstly, it continued the obsession with prequels, where you’re on a hiding to nothing. Writing in a shared universe is difficult enough, writing new stories behind established continuity is frightfully difficult, especially when there’s a highly engaged fan base to pick up your mistakes. And secondly they originally gave the gig to people who neither knew nor cared much about the spirit of Star Trek. I think season 2 was much, much better, and they have worked really hard to try to give convincing in-universe explanations for stuff that really didn’t fit, but ultimately they effectively threw their hands up, declared the job too hard and contrived to send them so far into the future that they couldn’t do any further damage to the continuity no matter what.

Personally, while I've enjoyed both Discovery and Enterprise, I don't generally like prequel sci-fi series. I think they have the problem that it can be harder to fit them in with an established canon (e.g. while I like Spock on Discovery, I feel that in real life, it would be odd if he (or his parents) never mentioned his step sister to anyone else, at least Kirk or McCoy (both of whom, despite barbed comments from the latter, are shown to be his friends).

The second problem with a sci fi prequel is special effects. Thanks to Star Trek TOS being made 50 years ago, we have a situation where the special effects in both Discovery and Enterprise are considerably better than those in TOS (and TNG). Even the sets and props look more believable than the original Trek. The way the whole look is improved in the prequel shows gives (to me) the impression that Star Fleet's technology moved backwards after these two prequel shows.

They did make changes in the final season of Enterprise to bring it more into line with the designs of the 60s, but this just shows Discovery up.

I'd prefer they went with more sequel series, which, despite the statements to the contrary, I feel they have with Picard.
Quote:

Picard’s major advantage is that Stewart has the whip hand. In order to get him back, they had no choice but to do it properly. There simply wasn’t any room for someone determined to show off their own vision of the future while junking everything we’ve come to love. Patrick Stewart only agreed to do this because he saw that the proposal was coming from people who understood the most famous character he’s ever played, understood what might happen next, and were prepared to allow Stewart to input into the development.
Having watched the first episode, I feel it actually follows up TNG well. Of course, it looks better (not that TNG ever looked bad), but it's set years after TNG. Of course the technology has improved. I don't want to go into details, because some may not have watched it, but having seen the first episode, I feel that it is consistent with how I would imagine life for Picard would be if the things that the show says happened after TNG happened. I haven't put spoiler tags because I am not referring to one specific event, and I feel that even if people haven't seen the show, they may click the Spoiler tag.

Chris 24-01-2020 15:51

I haven’t seen it ... family viewing appointment is this evening :hyper:

pip08456 24-01-2020 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36023553)
I haven’t seen it ... family viewing appointment is this evening :hyper:

I think you'll enjoy it Chris.;)

Pierre 24-01-2020 18:17

First episode was great. Like putting on a pair of slippers that are comfortable, that are familiar but also brand new.

Production values much better than Discovery, IMO, and if you are a TNG fan, lots of names and nods.

Pity you can’t binge it.