Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Keeping out Spiders (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706860)

alanbjames 23-09-2018 21:44

Keeping out Spiders

Is there anything that actually works to keep out spiders in the winter such as conkers in the corner of the room or those plug in devices?

I keep getting them in my hallway and frightens the heck out of me.

djfunkdup 23-09-2018 23:42

Re: Keeping out Spiders

Alan it's actually healthy to have a few house spiders about the place :D

They make webs etc and catch all the other insects/beasties/bugs that are too small for you too see about the house and they feed on them.House spiders in the UK are pretty harmless,clean we chaps and not known for carrying germs etc :)

arcimedes 24-09-2018 07:40

Since we had our Siamese there hasn't been a spider seen anywhere and flying insects dont last long either.

Maggy 24-09-2018 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfunkdup (Post 35964211)
Alan it's actually healthy to have a few house spiders about the place :D

They make webs etc and catch all the other insects/beasties/bugs that are too small for you too see about the house and they feed on them.House spiders in the UK are pretty harmless,clean we chaps and not known for carrying germs etc :)

Exactly!..Now If it was flies I'd say go for it..

Kabaal 24-09-2018 10:28

Could have done with some spiders around the house over the past month. Bought some tangerines, went to open them the next day and a cloud of fruit flies appeared. Took ages to get rid of them and the only thing that seemed to work was leaving fruit to rot in pint glasses with a sheet of paper rolled into a funnel so they would crawl down in but not be able to get out.

heero_yuy 24-09-2018 10:37

I don't think you can keep them out without hermetically sealing up your house and that is a bad move as pollutants from internal activities build up. Open a window or door and in they come.

There's always going to be small cracks and cranies where they can get in, gaps between floorboards or where the skirting boards meet the floors.

As has been said they do a job of keeping the insect population in check. Except for the bigger ones that I take out with my bug-a-salt gun. :D

djfunkdup 24-09-2018 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35964235)
Except for the bigger ones that I take out with my bug-a-salt gun. :D

Shit man you can't kill them :( They are amazing creatures ,just catch them and let them go free.They don't mean any harm they are just finding somewhere warm and safe and they know that everyone's house has plenty of tiny bugs to feed on that we can't really see with the naked eye ..

heero_yuy 24-09-2018 17:18

Quote:

Quote from djfunkdup:

Shit man you can't kill them :( They are amazing creatures ,just catch them and let them go free.They don't mean any harm they are just finding somewhere warm and safe and they know that everyone's house has plenty of tiny bugs to feed on that we can't really see with the naked eye ..
I'm sorry you miss-read me. I meant take out the bigger flies, wasps etc. I don't have a problem with the big house spiders, OH is less keen though.:D

djfunkdup 24-09-2018 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35964271)
I'm sorry you miss-read me. I meant take out the bigger flies, wasps etc. I don't have a problem with the big house spiders, OH is less keen though.:D

Oh that's good i feel better now :) .. i can ditch the sad music on utube :(

And get back to some Drum+Bass :D

Paul 24-09-2018 17:55

Not seen many wasps this year, plenty of flies though.
(which dies as soon as they start to buzz around me and hence annoy me).

djfunkdup 24-09-2018 18:07

Yes flies are different ! Can't stand them either because they land on lots of very unpleasant things and breakdance then they expect to do the same dance moves on your face !!

Hate the feckers... Except fruit flies there kinda cute lol :D

richard s 24-09-2018 19:29

Drum & bass would drive me out of any house and not the spiders.:D

Hom3r 24-09-2018 21:13

I've heard that chestnuts/conkers give of a gas that spiders hate

djfunkdup 24-09-2018 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35964293)
Drum & bass would drive me out of any house and not the spiders.:D

You might surprise yourself :cool:

Irelands finest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOS3MSPrQs :D

Taf 25-09-2018 16:53

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/09/10.jpg