Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Is this an ebay scam? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708510)

buckeye 14-12-2019 15:05

Is this an ebay scam?

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this but none seemed particularly relevant but a potential ebay scam seems it might belong in current affairs.

So, today I bought an item on ebay, I paid via my debit card and chose the delivery option of click and collect from my local Argos store.

The seller has demanded I verify my PayPal address despite me not using PayPal,
when I pointed this out they said they had received no delivery information so I submitted the relevant details from my ebay order and confirmation email.
This seller has now said they have had some unexplained activity on their PayPal account and will not dispatch the item unless I confirm PayPal details that I didn't use to make the purchase.

Seems like they are trying to scam me, I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Mick 14-12-2019 15:19

Re: Is this an ebay scam?

Sounds like a scam to me. Unusual PayPal activity is nothing to do with you, if you have not used that as a method of payment.

Sounds like this might have to be escalated to a dispute.

Btw moved thread to internet discussion. :)

pip08456 14-12-2019 16:16

Quite a lot of ebay sellers only accept payment via Paypal. Check this is not the case here. It will be stated in the listing.

You can still pay via your credit/debit card with Paypal. I use it regularly without problem.

buckeye 15-12-2019 19:01

Hmmmmm the seller may have been genuine and paranoid, I told them to cancel my order and issue a refund if they couldn't fulfil the terms of my order.
They have done so and I've had confirmation from Ebay that the order has been cancelled, however I'm kind of concerned that the refund has been issued via PayPal when I haven't used that service for this transaction.
Guess I need to keep an eye on my account for a while to see if I've been scammed or it was genuine.

Despite having an Ebay account almost since the service opened I have hardly ever used it, this transaction pretty much confirms my avoidance of the service, I think I'd rather spend a little more on other platforms than try and save a few quid on Ebay!

SnoopZ 15-12-2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36020392)
Hmmmmm the seller may have been genuine and paranoid, I told them to cancel my order and issue a refund if they couldn't fulfil the terms of my order.
They have done so and I've had confirmation from Ebay that the order has been cancelled, however I'm kind of concerned that the refund has been issued via PayPal when I haven't used that service for this transaction.
Guess I need to keep an eye on my account for a while to see if I've been scammed or it was genuine.

Despite having an Ebay account almost since the service opened I have hardly ever used it, this transaction pretty much confirms my avoidance of the service, I think I'd rather spend a little more on other platforms than try and save a few quid on Ebay!

I believe when you purchase something it gets processed through Paypal even when using a credit/debit card so don't get paranoid.

All my refunds from last week were bought with a credit card and refunded via paypal so don't worry.

denphone 15-12-2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36020301)
Quite a lot of ebay sellers only accept payment via Paypal. Check this is not the case here. It will be stated in the listing.

You can still pay via your credit/debit card with Paypal. I use it regularly without problem.

Same here pip.

buckeye 19-12-2019 16:24

Thanks for the replies,
I have had my refund and managed to buy the same item which was on special offer from Currys for only £2 more once postage was taken into account :)

Paul 20-12-2019 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36020395)
All my refunds from last week were bought with a credit card and refunded via paypal so don't worry.

So how would they do that if you dont have a Paypal account ?

SnoopZ 20-12-2019 18:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36020738)
So how would they do that if you dont have a Paypal account ?

ebay process payments through Paypal even if you use a credit card to pay.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1576866790