Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TV Volume (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709958)

beaker17 13-04-2021 21:34

TV Volume

My new LG TV works fine with my Virgin box, but the 100% sound volume is very poor.

Sound Bar - I would select one less than £100.
I know nothing about these items, can anybody tell me if they work OK - I am thinking of a 3.5 USB connection to the TV.

1701-e 14-04-2021 10:16

Re: TV Volume

Did you change audio output on your virgin box?

Itshim 14-04-2021 10:51

Have two lg TVs .both have this problem two Panasonic sound boxes cost about 120 pounds each work well. Optical leads.

beaker17 14-04-2021 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36076874)
Did you change audio output on your virgin box?

No

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36076880)
Have two lg TVs .both have this problem two Panasonic sound boxes cost about 120 pounds each work well. Optical leads.

I do not want batteries, so how is a sound bar powered and does it connect to the TV with a USB ?

spiderplant 14-04-2021 13:17

A sound bar plugs into the mains, and connects to the TV with HDMI or an optical cable

Carth 14-04-2021 15:14

It's always seemed strange to me that TV manufacturers put a decent amount of effort into a good picture, a myriad of connections, and a multitude of apps . . . yet the sound quality is usually rubbish.

3/10 for the lot of em ;)

heero_yuy 14-04-2021 16:46

Unfortunately with a flat screen there's no volume in the cabinet to make a decent woofer installation so the sound is always going to be reedy. We use an external 100 Watt subwoofer unit to beef up the bass.

Stuart 14-04-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36076911)
Unfortunately with a flat screen there's no volume in the cabinet to make a decent woofer installation so the sound is always going to be reedy. We use an external 100 Watt subwoofer unit to beef up the bass.

My current 43 inch LG TV has better sound than my previous Samsung 42inch TV. The 32inch Sony Bravia Wega I had before that had *much* better sound than either.

Weirdly, the 27inch iMac I have on my desk at work has nicer sound than any of them, despite being slimmer than any. That said, IIRC the speakers on the iMac are downward facing, and take advantage of the fact there is quite a large bezel down there (about 5cm), so there is actually quite a lot of room for them to move. Before anyone gets pedantic, I haven't looked up the insides of an iMac for a long time, and don't really have time to do so now, so I could be wrong. I also know that Apple invest an awful lot of money in signal processing on their various devices which may result in a "nicer" (if technically less accurate) sound.

007stuart 14-04-2021 17:56

SONOS Beam with built in Alexa/Google Assistant provides great sound for your tv as well as linking to a variety of music streaming platforms

Itshim 14-04-2021 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 36076894)
No

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

I do not want batteries, so how is a sound bar powered and does it connect to the TV with a USB ?

As I said mine are sound BOXES Richer sound s played both to me and as I could put in boxes I did . They are mains powered with a remote so that has batteries but can adjust via the box . Was told optical cable was better . No idea if correct but works well for me;)

beaker17 18-04-2021 17:30

I have now familiarised myself with all the settings and got my LG TV working fine. Volume not high enough for me and I will consider a sound bar. It is OK with my hearing aid.

Downside - For years my TV has had a lovely non-reflective plasma/matte screen, but not any more.

This new 32 inch LG Smart TV, which does everything except making coffee has a glossy screen which reflects window shine and all other light sources.

Ah well, that's called progress I suppose.

SnoopZ 18-04-2021 18:27

I was going to say if you need the volume at 100% you should get your ears checked out as that's far too load for normal hearing.

Now I wear hearing aids and getting a soundbar worked well for me, just make sure you get one that that you can also use with the VM remote or you will be juggling controllers.

jobbie8 18-04-2021 19:19

When I switched back to Virgn TV (V6) I found the sound was really quite low compared to the TiVo box. Volume on the same TV and Surround system needs turning up way more than the original VM TiVo.
I think there was a way to increase the volume in other Virgin boxes to 100%?

Hom3r 18-04-2021 19:55

I have a Samsung Sound Stage and it connects to my Samsung 32" 3D TV via optical cable.

This does mean I can only change the volume using the Sound Stage remote.

SnoopZ 18-04-2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077216)
I have a Samsung Sound Stage and it connects to my Samsung 32" 3D TV via optical cable.

This does mean I can only change the volume using the Sound Stage remote.

Mines Samsung too but if i connect it wireless i can use it with a VM and TV remotes, sounds the same too, is that not an option for you?