Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VM Business : New VM Business service - 350Mb (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704791)

rtho782 21-04-2017 22:41

New VM Business service - 350Mb

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...d-service.html

So not massively more expensive than Vivid 300, although I guess this is probably Exc VAT.

Most interesting is the idea of a static IP, probably better support, and more priority on the network... could solve contention issues?

nallar 22-04-2017 12:05

Re: New VM Business service - 350meg

> more priority on the network.

This hasn't actually been stated anywhere by VM. ISP review appear to have made it up.

If you're not a leased line customer you get the same contention issues as any home customer.

nallar 22-04-2017 14:44

> I was told this news on a call with VM Business yesterday, so it has some credence.

My bad - I had tried to confirm this last year and they didn't say there was priority. In the comments of the ISP review article it was also said that VM hadn't stated it.

I'll trust them if they've told you directly :)

> Support is very good especially in the evenings when the engineer you talk to will actually login to the CMTS while you are on the phone and diagnose with you on the line.

Much better than normal VM support then - quite tempting really.

Do you know if VM business customers who aren't using a fixed IP/routed subnet option are stuck with a hitron puma 6 router or is there an option to use your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

edit: The post I replied to has mysteriously vanished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ccarmock 22-04-2017 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nallar (Post 35895798)
> I was told this news on a call with VM Business yesterday, so it has some credence.

My bad - I had tried to confirm this last year and they didn't say there was priority. In the comments of the ISP review article it was also said that VM hadn't stated it.

I'll trust them if they've told you directly :)

> Support is very good especially in the evenings when the engineer you talk to will actually login to the CMTS while you are on the phone and diagnose with you on the line.

Much better than normal VM support then - quite tempting really.

Do you know if VM business customers who aren't using a fixed IP/routed subnet option are stuck with a hitron puma 6 router or is there an option to use your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

edit: The post I replied to has mysteriously vanished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The prioritisation was mentioned in conjunction with new services not existing....

Support is indeed excellent - can't fault it to be honest. All UK based and knowledgeable on the services. A I say in the evenings you get to talk to the engineer directly. During the day they log it and you get a call back.

The business services are only supplied with the Hitron now which is Puma 6 based. They rolled out a firmware upgrade to it in the past couple of weeks. On Tuesday this week I went from 12 to 16 downstreams due to an area upgrade, which often seems to trigger the Puma 6 spike in latency, but my graph is great still so wondering if the Puma6 firmware fix was part of this upgrade.

The original 50 Mb/s fixed IP service was provided on a version of the Superhub 1 with business firmware that had the fixed IP options, but all speeds are now provided on the Hitron.

Sorry I made the foolish mistake of using Internet Explorer with this forum and tried to add to my post which resulted in it vanishing!

duncan.stevenson 22-04-2017 17:15

I'd be very happy to pay more... if the upload was better.

300Mb is absolutely fine for us. But 20Mb upload is still a little limiting.

vsn 22-04-2017 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35895799)
The prioritisation was mentioned in conjunction with new services not existing....

Support is indeed excellent - can't fault it to be honest. All UK based and knowledgeable on the services. A I say in the evenings you get to talk to the engineer directly. During the day they log it and you get a call back.

I don't know if this is the same support you get with the 50M service, but I'm less than impressed, both with the support and with the product.

For example, I've been trying to get port forwarding to work with the Hitron on dynamic IP and all the time they promise to call me back, they don't, and the ticket gets closed after a few days. And you cannot call back and talk to the same person. IF they do call back, you have to explain the problem again, then they say they'll look into it and call you back!

ccarmock 22-04-2017 18:21

ok your experience clearly differs from mine - support I have had has been excellent.

Kushan 24-04-2017 08:44

What about STM on business lines? I haven't looked at it in a while, but last I checked business lines had sort of inverted STM, where it was heavily monitored during "peak" residential times but unlimited during business hours. What's the case these days?

pip08456 24-04-2017 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35896006)
What about STM on business lines? I haven't looked at it in a while, but last I checked business lines had sort of inverted STM, where it was heavily monitored during "peak" residential times but unlimited during business hours. What's the case these days?

AFAIK it is still the case. What it will be with this new offering remains to be seen.

ccarmock 24-04-2017 21:14

I plan to ask that question soon - will let report back here. When I pushed on current services I was told STM will kick in during 'off peak' business hours (their definition!) after 13 GB has been downloaded. No details on how long the window is and what the restriction is.

ccarmock 02-05-2017 21:37

Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

As planned the new services launched today:-

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...ess-broadband/

Finally launching with multiple static IP addresses in the routed subnet option, that was previously available on the SH1 based 50 Mb/s service.

JordanTheToaster 02-05-2017 21:41

I'm kinda wondering if you can get it as a home user

ccarmock 02-05-2017 21:44

You can indeed - I have the 200 MB/s with 5 static IP addresses now. Last week I had a call to offer an upgrade to 350 MB/s.

Kushan 02-05-2017 21:48

No reason why you can't as far as I know.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35897247)
You can indeed - I have the 200 MB/s with 5 static IP addresses now. Last week I had a call to offer an upgrade to 350 MB/s.

Can you confirm what (if any) traffic management exists on this?

ccarmock 02-05-2017 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35897250)

Can you confirm what (if any) traffic management exists on this?

I am waiting on a call back about this. During normal business hours no but outside that the older services did have STM. It would kick in after 13 GB was downloaded outside business hours. As soon as I hear more I'll report back here.

Kushan 02-05-2017 22:09

I had a dig around the site but couldn't find anything. There is a FUP but nothing specific.

ccarmock 02-05-2017 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35897256)
I had a dig around the site but couldn't find anything. There is a FUP but nothing specific.

They have always been vague about this, but as you say no mention of it any longer, unlike the previous web pages which did mention it, though not the thresholds.

rtho782 03-05-2017 07:56

Hmm, I like the look of this, with the option of multiple IPv4 addresses.....

Traffic management would kill it for me though.

roughbeast 03-05-2017 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 35895756)
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...d-service.html

So not massively more expensive than Vivid 300, although I guess this is probably Exc VAT.

Most interesting is the idea of a static IP, probably better support, and more priority on the network... could solve contention issues?

Given the allowance for overheads in config., users could get pretty close to 400Mb download too.

pip08456 03-05-2017 17:28

At present the max is 200 where I live. As and when 350 is available I will consider it.

rtho782 04-05-2017 07:59

I'm trying to get confirmation from them as to throttling outside business hours and the prioritisation over residential customers that has been mentioned.

But you only have to read through the various T+Cs etc on their website which contradict themselves in the same document and refer to clauses that don't exist to realise this product probably hasn't been fully thought out!

ccarmock 04-05-2017 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35897335)
Given the allowance for overheads in config., users could get pretty close to 400Mb download too.

The overheads built in on the business service are smaller than those built in on the residential. As an example I max out at 205 Mb/s on the 200 Mb/s business service. It will be interesting to see how they handle that with the 350 Mb/s service

ccarmock 13-05-2017 01:53

VMB pushed the 350 / 20 config to my Hitron router today and it seem this time round they have built some headroom into the config:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/05/6.gif

davedap 13-05-2017 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35898610)
VMB pushed the 350 / 20 config to my Hitron router today and it seem this time round they have built some headroom into the config:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/05/18.png

is there any out of peak hours throttling or FUP on this at all, am very intrested but hate caps lol

APS 24-05-2017 11:37

We have had the Hitron installed on the 350/20 service with 5 fixed IPs and had two issues so far:

1) The main IP address we were assigned must have been reused as we soon found it was in blacklists for mailservers (both Microsoft O365 and Barracuda). We have sorted that ourselves, but it would have been nice if VM had checked this!

2) We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

Anyone had similar problems?

ccarmock 24-05-2017 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by APS (Post 35900207)

We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

I've not experienced this, but there has recently been some capacity improvement works in my area (used to have 12 downstream channels - now 16 for instance) I believe the GRE tunnels break out on equipment with a lot of capacity in the VM network - I'd guess your issue is local congestion. If you log a ticket they should be able to confirm. I have found support good in this respect, but not had to call them recently.

The one issue I did have with the new 350/20 service was variable upstream performance. I did notice that the upstream frequencies were not usual frequencies - as they usually end in 0000 these were offset. That has been corrected by VM and I get a rock solid 20 Mb/s up now too.

UnReaL 25-05-2017 16:22

I have had mine installed today.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/05/5.png

I can confirm by my order manager and the engineer that there are no limits on VM business broadband.

ccarmock 25-05-2017 22:03

Details of no limit now detailed online: https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...oadband-Speeds

Quoting the specific bit:

Traffic Management is not enforced on business broadband connections but is enforced on others to help protect network resources. To further protect bandwidths and speeds we operate a fair use policy which is detailed within our Acceptable Use Policy

rtho782 25-05-2017 22:21

Quote:

To further protect bandwidths and speeds we operate a fair use policy which is detailed within our Acceptable Use Policy and can be viewed here.
Not sure how I feel about this, especially as that link is dead.

Can anyone do a speedtest on thinkbroadband? I wonder if higher priority means better single threaded speeds.

Does anyone have a BQM on this new service?

ccarmock 25-05-2017 22:35

Sure here is my BQM

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/05/4.png

rtho782 25-05-2017 22:49

Wow, much cleaner than mine, on vivid 300.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...c4b-24-05-2017

ccarmock 26-05-2017 21:52

I have 16 downstreams - which I think is where the Puma 6 based devices start to show some latency issues on the reports such as BQM, but that beyond 16 it gets worse.

Now I do know a firmware update was recently rolled out to the Hitrons - so maybe that included Intel's fix

APS 05-06-2017 13:57

Further to my previous report on our new VM Business Service (350 Mb/s) the service has got no better. (This is with the 5 fixed IP option).

To repeat we have seen extremely variables speeds and slow initial connections. If we run speedtest against VM speedtest servers we do occasionally get results in the 200-300 speeds (particularly early in the morning) but only a few minutes later the speeds are down to 20-30 Mb/s for long periods. Uploads give the max speed possible all the time (20 Mb/s). Overall the service is much worst than the old 50 Mb/s service which was much more consistent.

Before tackling the challenge of customer services, I have tried a thinkbroadband ping test, the results of which are here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...b00-01-06-2017

This is with multiple users using the connection throughout the day. It does not really show anything untoward and no significant packet loss.

Unless anyone has any suggestions I guess it is time to call VM.

ccarmock 05-06-2017 21:26

This definitely sounds a case to call them and have them investigate for you. Possible local congestion, but should be handled under the business SLA

MUD_Wizard 06-06-2017 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by APS (Post 35900207)
We have had the Hitron installed on the 350/20 service with 5 fixed IPs and had two issues so far:

2) We are getting big slowdowns in the middle of the day when careful speedtests show speeds of less than 20 Mb/s download but the upload seems fine. Tests earlier in the day show speeds closer to the 350 Mb/s although not quite as good as ccarmock. This is slower than the 50 Mb/s service we used to have. This makes me wonder if either the tunnel used for the fixed IP service is coming out onto the network in a congested place (we pop out near Bristol) or that they are running a throttle which is either setup incorrectly or is a very bad deal.

Having almost the same issue with my Hitron 300Mb VMB service (30-50Mb average tests this evening). Just got it re-enabled tonight, so have only done evening testing so far.

Speedtest.net (the Flash version) also locates me around Bristol, as the endpoint of the GRE tunnel. Btw, I'm in Glasgow and have no problems maxing my residential connection.

So I also think it's a congested peering issue. Haven't seen anywhere close to a 300Mb speed test yet on any of the popular sites or servers and have tried quite a few on speedtest.net.

I suggest you try this CDN test: http://cloudharmony.com/speedtest-for-cdn

What I noticed is that all but one of the CDN's report consistently low speeds for the 10MB/2 Threads column. While I don't expect CDN's to give very high speeds, my residential 50Mb connection performs much better and more consistently maxing out on that same column.

However, the one that gives 200Mb-300Mb consistently is Cachefly, so that may be routed differently. I also did some downloads that used a cachefly server and they were the same speed.

Let me know if you get anywhere with your investigation.

Have you tried getting VMB to switch you to dynamic IP? I know maybe not the ideal solution..

---------- Post added at 02:08 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35900564)
I have 16 downstreams - which I think is where the Puma 6 based devices start to show some latency issues on the reports such as BQM, but that beyond 16 it gets worse.

Now I do know a firmware update was recently rolled out to the Hitrons - so maybe that included Intel's fix

From my tests it's obvious the latest firmware does include Intel's fix.

20 downstream channels:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/06/4.png

Spikes on the BQM above are me doing speed tests and download tests. Very nice low level latency without spikes otherwise and most importantly for me, no bufferbloat!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/06/7.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 35900410)
Can anyone do a speedtest on thinkbroadband? I wonder if higher priority means better single threaded speeds.

I find it highly unlikely that there is any kind of "high priority" on the VM business service, in spite of sales guys patter.

You do end up on a different port and line card at the CMTS than you would on residential, which in some areas is probably less utilised than the residential line cards. But if you're in an area, node and line card that is already under-utilised you're not going to see a difference.

As for the rest of the network and peering, it's clear from many customers reports that speeds are still variable for many. Including mine on VMB (residential is fine).

Between your hub and the CMTS you're still sharing the same channels on a node that residential do. So still essentially limited in bandwidth as residential are. The downstream speeds could be 'tweaked' by the CMTS scheduler, but only to a point.

They could give you slightly better upstream priority using service flows rather than UGS, but that won't help if your area is over-utilised or at times when peak-load is reached: https://volpefirm.com/docsis_qos/

JordanTheToaster 09-06-2017 19:24

Is that firmware being released or has it released yet?.

ccarmock 09-06-2017 19:36

It has been released. I have version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC

JordanTheToaster 10-06-2017 04:36

Since that is the business hubs will the Hub3 get the firmware at all since it seems to be working on one of them?.

ccarmock 10-06-2017 12:20

The business service is provided on a Hitron device which is a different manufacturer to that Hub 3 used for residential, so the firmware will be different.

I read that VM have a version they are testing for the Hub 3 that has the intel fix included, but not sure how close to roll out it is.

APS 12-06-2017 09:41

Regarding the problems with the multiple fixed IPs and the Hitron, after doing a succession of tests over a couple of days to show the poor performance so we had the data in hand, we phoned VM business support.

We got put through to 2nd level support fairly quickly who almost immediately said the issue we are seeing is almost certainly down to a software issue within their network that causes packet fragmentation (and possibly loss) for data passing through the GRE tunnel. They have plans to fix this in the next few weeks (by "mid-July"). He said the issue results in timed out web pages from some common sites, slow results from speedtest sites, etc etc.

He did also check for local congestion in our network and they will do a line test but all looked OK during the initial checks.

I guess they only have seen this since going live with the service, but unless they fix it soon I think I will be asking for a refund, if only to focus their minds on getting the fix rolled out.

Gobble 12-06-2017 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35902604)
I read that VM have a version they are testing for the Hub 3 that has the intel fix included, but not sure how close to roll out it is.

Where? As far as I know, they don't have anything yet.

JordanTheToaster 12-06-2017 15:10

Actually great question do you have to use the other modem that comes with the business internet or can you keep your hub3 if you have one?

vm_tech 12-06-2017 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster (Post 35903030)
Actually great question do you have to use the other modem that comes with the business internet or can you keep your hub3 if you have one?

No you need a Hitron

JordanTheToaster 12-06-2017 23:01

That's a minor inconvenience but still might be worth it.

ccarmock 12-06-2017 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35902986)
Where? As far as I know, they don't have anything yet.

Some info here

It doesn't quote a date but suggests new firmware is in test

Gobble 13-06-2017 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35903130)
Some info here

It doesn't quote a date but suggests new firmware is in test

Yeah, I would take that with a pinch of salt. The only thing worth mentioning thus far is Arris released a patch for the TG2492LG, which the Hub 3 is somewhere between that and the compal CH7465-LG. We could be waiting on Compal/LG to do there bit, then VM to put the VM stamp on it yet... and after all of that, it doesn't fix all the issues, it is however a good step forward over the current firmware.

APS 21-06-2017 14:24

Regarding my posts above relating to slow speeds on the 350 Mb/s service (with 5 fixed IPs) My original fault report seemed to have gone astray because I was sent a text message saying all the lines tests were OK and requested I sent some speedtest results to a specific VM email address. After more than a week I never heard anymore so I phoned in. I was given another fault ref no. and this time I told them the results of numerous speed tests over the phone.

I was phoned back by 2nd level support who doubted the speeds we are seeing was a network software issue, primarily because occasionally (early morning and late afternoon) we get speeds approaching 200 M/s. He sent out an engineer who did his own speed tests mid-morning. Speeds ranged from 20-50 Mb/s! No other fault found.

He spoke to someone back in the office who went back to the broken network software story for the multiple fixed IP setup and said a fix might happen sometime in August or September, so later than promised before.

I think it is time for a call to demand compensation.

ccarmock 21-06-2017 20:37

Doesn't sound goo d- I wonder if this is congestion at peak business times in the equipment terminating the tunnels.

I don't see similar slow down myself. Though it's possible that there are a range of tunnel termination points.

MUD_Wizard 22-06-2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35904262)
Doesn't sound goo d- I wonder if this is congestion at peak business times in the equipment terminating the tunnels.

I don't see similar slow down myself. Though it's possible that there are a range of tunnel termination points.

Two locations in the UK, I've been told.

ccarmock 22-06-2017 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard (Post 35904359)
Two locations in the UK, I've been told.

Do you happen to know if customer are mapped to a single one or do they effectively load balance connections across them?

I ask as if one of them is more congested this could explain why some are affected and others not.

APS 23-06-2017 09:11

One of the 2nd level support guys told me that they had increased the number to four recently, which was why he thought this was not a congestion issue with the tunnels. However, since verifying we have slow speeds we have not heard any more from them!

dragon 09-07-2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard (Post 35901854)

From my tests it's obvious the latest firmware does include Intel's fix.

Not Necessarily, if you have a static IP and they are using a GRE tunnel to make it happen the lower jitter could be a result of said Tunnel.

Native VM IP

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/07/4.png

2xL2TP to AAISP over VM.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/07/5.png

bma 05-09-2017 22:37

I've been bitten by this - they're still selling it, despite their tech support people knowing about the issue (one of them actually said to me today "I don't know why the sales team still sell it").

This was a residential-business transfer, and the whole point was for static addressing, now, due to the botched install, I've been left with a 20mbps internet connection and no phone line. Now my options are basically pay £80/month for 20mbps internet with static IPs, lose the static IPs - which negates the point of business or going back to residential - doing so loses our phone number as they can't be moved from bus to residential, and means renegotiating with residential.

It's crap that they're not telling people about this though. That's verging on fraud - they know they can't supply a service, but sell it anyway.

ccarmock 05-09-2017 22:43

They should make people aware there are performance issues in some cases with the static IP addresses. It seems to affect me at some times and not others when I get around 360 Mb/s down sometimes more.

I will be going after a refund when this is resolved for the months of poor service.

bma 06-09-2017 11:50

Do you know if there's any way to have a "hybrid" service?

E.g. we don't need the static IPs for the main connection (e.g. general internet) - which is where the massive slowdown causes issues - the static IPs are for outbound service which on the upload aren't going to saturate an even faulty GRE tunnel.

My router (pfsense) is more than capable of GRE tunnelling, so is there a way I can not use the built-in GRE feature on the modem, and instead use the modem's dynamic IP and connect the GRE tunnel myself?

ccarmock 06-09-2017 21:01

In theory you could form a GRE tunnel from another device that is running in Dynamic mode. The GRE tunnel is authenticated, but they provide the username/password, but will not provide the tunnel endpoint address.

However my understanding is that the problem is unlikely to be with the Hitron itself, but rather the GRE endpoints within the VM network. So you might still get poor performance even if you could make this work.

bma 07-09-2017 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35915552)
In theory you could form a GRE tunnel from another device that is running in Dynamic mode. The GRE tunnel is authenticated, but they provide the username/password, but will not provide the tunnel endpoint address.

However my understanding is that the problem is unlikely to be with the Hitron itself, but rather the GRE endpoints within the VM network. So you might still get poor performance even if you could make this work.

I've actually cancelled my order now and gone back to resi until they've got this sorted.

But my theory was that I don't need fast downstream to the static IPs. e.g.

dynamic ip -> router

router -> lan

router -> gre tunnel -> clients with static IPs (e.g. services which need upload more than download).

It seems perfectly feasible, but without a gateway address it'd be impossible.

pip08456 18-09-2017 18:07

I've just been informed the 350mb upgrade is due to be completed by the end of the calendar year in the Cardiff area.

Once it is completed then I will consider taking it out. Hopefully any current problems will have been ironed out by then.

While I'm here does anyone know of a reliable supplier of quality screen printed T Shirts and printed mugs both here and in the US and/or Canada? Bulk purchase if the price is right.

thedotlair 28-09-2017 21:47

Any news regarding the Static IP GRE fix that was being passed around? Looking to switch back at some point but not until it's been fixed.

ccarmock 29-09-2017 16:31

The problem still exists at the moment. There has been some progress in the past couple of week I gather, but now firm ETA for the fix as yet, though I know that VMB have a team working on the fix at the moment.

Ignitionnet 30-09-2017 14:13

VM have been supplied a fixed image to deploy to their terminating equipment, however it hasn't been applied to all nodes yet for some reason. Maybe it introduced new issues?

ccarmock 02-10-2017 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35918490)
VM have been supplied a fixed image to deploy to their terminating equipment, however it hasn't been applied to all nodes yet for some reason. Maybe it introduced new issues?

Quite possibly. Though my service is terminating on a test node within the VM network where they are able to try various configs/changes which have not yet improved service consistently.

Some of the time I get great performance >360 MB/s at times, others around 8-20 Mb/s

I received an email today to say there is an emergency change going in between midnight and 6am Weds morning:-

Planned Work Ref C00862000
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 04/10/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 04/10/2017 06:00
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
Emergency works are required which will impact your Single Static/Multi Static service (Hitron Device) for up to 10 minutes. This is to resolve a hardware fault on the device - F005607576.

The work will start in the early hours of Wednesday morning and you may see several impacts to service up to the maximum time stated.

thedotlair 03-10-2017 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35918437)
The problem still exists at the moment. There has been some progress in the past couple of week I gather, but now firm ETA for the fix as yet, though I know that VMB have a team working on the fix at the moment.

Thank you sir. Ignitionnet and yourself are my only sources of knowledge on it being fixed as VM is giving me static on the subject :(

Ignitionnet 03-10-2017 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedotlair (Post 35918845)
Thank you sir. Ignitionnet and yourself are my only sources of knowledge on it being fixed as VM is giving me static on the subject :(

I'm waiting for VMB to contact me back regarding my order so that I can tell them where to stick it right now.

They don't answer enquiries from their website. They don't answer their Twitter support handle, while the residential account responds in minutes. This issue is in part self-inflicted and should've been dealt with months ago. The earlier speed upgrades are worthless as in this area the upgrades are running months behind schedule anyway.

So given support seems worse than residential, speed upgrades won't come earlier and static IP addressing doesn't work there's zero incentive to spend the extra.

kalleh 03-10-2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35918894)
I'm waiting for VMB to contact me back regarding my order so that I can tell them where to stick it right now.

They don't answer enquiries from their website. They don't answer their Twitter support handle, while the residential account responds in minutes. This issue is in part self-inflicted and should've been dealt with months ago. The earlier speed upgrades are worthless as in this area the upgrades are running months behind schedule anyway.

So given support seems worse than residential, speed upgrades won't come earlier and static IP addressing doesn't work there's zero incentive to spend the extra.

The information VM Business have given me has been well shall we say lacking to say the least.

I was told initially there was 2 different firmwares One for static One for Dynamic.

Then I was then told The Dynamic and Static are the same but the Multi Static is a different firmware that runs on the Hitron as others have posted they are running a newer version than myself.

Have asked to be put to multi-static as in the Glasgow area and the graph/latency is nowhere near as stable as the others posting here.

Also as it uses the residential part of the network it can be congested in the evening with the responses I've been told that your 'traffic' is only 'prioritised' between 9-5. Which well lets just say is a lie as you are given no priority.

In the end I require download speeds of above that of a FTTC connection and bonding two of them right now is still even more expensive than this at the £60 a month premium.

The Speeds are generally fine its more so the unstable latency that is the issue and i'm not talking about the BQM Graph looking completely green like most people expect but when pinging servers in london and europe one would expect the jitter being almost double the latency at random intervals to be the source of a fault somewhere.

Now it is a bit pedantic but the quality of some applications I'm using and services don't run as smooth as they possibly could when you are seeing a constant 20ms which rises to 40-80ms on many occasions.

ccarmock 03-10-2017 21:30

I agree that the support and communication over the performance problems when static IP addressing is in use has been very bad, ordinarily support for more routine service issues on the business service has been very good to date, in my experience.

On the subject of firmware. my understanding is that there is a single firmware version used, however the GUI config option change depending on whether static IP addressing is defined in the VMB IP service section of the 'Admin tab' .

I am running he multi-static service and am on version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC of the Hitron firmware.

What do you have?

kalleh 03-10-2017 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35918909)
I agree that the support and communication over the performance problems when static IP addressing is in use has been very bad, ordinarily support for more routine service issues on the business service has been very good to date, in my experience.

On the subject of firmware. my understanding is that there is a single firmware version used, however the GUI config option change depending on whether static IP addressing is defined in the VMB IP service section of the 'Admin tab' .

I am running he multi-static service and am on version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC of the Hitron firmware.

What do you have?

4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC is the version i'm running I'm connected via the Uddingston headend. CMTS26 i believe

ccarmock 03-10-2017 22:31

From memory that is the version I was on before the upgrade to '161' Maybe yours was missed from the last update?

Will see if I can find out if the versions are different for multi static vs single static/dynamic.

Do you have dynamic or single static addressing right now?

If Dynamic do you have the VMB IP Service option on the left hand side when clicking on the Admin tab?

kalleh 03-10-2017 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35918913)
From memory that is the version I was on before the upgrade to '161' Maybe yours was missed from the last update?

Will see if I can find out if the versions are different for multi static vs single static/dynamic.

If Dynamic do you have the VMB IP Service option on the left hand side when clicking on the Admin tab?

Dynamic. and no option for the VMB IP Service. Even when the Static IP was enabled to begin with the firmware remained the same .142 but obviously the VMB IP Tab was there I have queried there ever being an update to be told what i relayed in the previous post.

Any sort of information regarding this would be helpful.

APS 04-10-2017 09:45

We detected no loss of service last night. Did anyone else and/or has anyone had a firmware upgrade for the Hitron yet?

kalleh 04-10-2017 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35918913)

To Follow up on this I've been told the switch to multi-static will happen overnight this evening. Hopefully this updates the firmware.

It seems VMB do have some genuine staff who at least make you think things are going to happen or are trying their best to help you.

The majority however I've spoken with so far seem to be good at dodging answering questions and passing the buck.

ccarmock 04-10-2017 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by APS (Post 35918934)
We detected no loss of service last night. Did anyone else and/or has anyone had a firmware upgrade for the Hitron yet?

Yes I had two periods of downtime last night one recorded shortly after midnight, and another at around 3am.

The Hitron firmware has not been upgraded as part of this, but the outage notification I got was that this was to fix a hardware fault.

kalleh 05-10-2017 12:56

Just to follow up on this.

Multi Static has its own version of firmware which is .161 I had this switched to earlier and took a while to get it fully working but whatever is in this firmware fixes major latency issues. Went from unstable ping to very stable. But instantly ran in to the download speeds issue.

Switched back to single static the modem rebooted with the older firmware. .142

Instantly same latency issues are back and download speeds are just as bad.

Would really like to know what the major changes are in this firmware unless it applies some sort of PUMA 6 fix.

Back to Good download speeds and troubling latency issues on Dynamic we go!

kalleh 11-10-2017 13:03

Date of Issue 11/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C00857319
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 20/11/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 20/11/2017 06:01

Cable Modem
10 Mins

Got this email today hopefully fixes some issues.

mrdanny 11-10-2017 13:47

I had one of those sent to me on the 6th October

NOTIFICATION OF PLANNED WORK

Date of Issue 06/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C******
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 18/11/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 18/11/2017 06:01

With impact time of 15 mins.

I spoke with tech support and they said it is provisioning for the fix of the static IP issues, at this stage they were not saying its the FIX......

At least its something..

ccarmock 11-10-2017 20:57

My understanding is these series of changes are to migrate the GRE tunnel endpoints to a new area of the network, in preparation for the fix to the performance issue.

kalleh 12-10-2017 13:26

Date of Issue 12/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C00856895
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 22/11/2017 09:00
Planned Work End (Local UK): 22/11/2017 15:00

Date of Issue 12/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C00857097
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 09/11/2017 09:00
Planned Work End (Local UK): 09/11/2017 15:00

mrdanny 13-10-2017 07:27

Something is definitely happening, business customer care called me yesterday, to say ignore the message which I got sent on 6th October, as the dates for the work were incorrect, and the provisioning work on my service is being carried out next week not in November.

Overnight I received a revised email:

NOTIFICATION OF PLANNED WORK

Date of Issue 12/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C******
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 18/10/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 18/10/2017 06:01

With impact time of 15 mins.

Looks like they made a mistake on the dates and put 11 instead of 10 in the dates for me earlier, hope those with dates of this work advised for November also receive this news of the work being moved forward, we shall see.

mrdanny 18-10-2017 07:18

Confirm they did do something service was off for just about 15 minutes as per the notification.

Effect was ZERO so guess we can confirm it is provisioning work and not the fix.

ccarmock 18-10-2017 22:39

Just got a series of 4 planned work notifications - so more changes about to happen.

amstel 21-10-2017 12:07

Hi,

I spoke yesterday to a Virgin technician and he told that this issue will be sorted next year :]
He also said that at the moment I should not use a static IPs in the modem mode.

kalleh 21-10-2017 12:38

It's not possible to use static IP's in modem mode.

kalleh 26-10-2017 06:16

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/10/22.png

Ignitionnet 26-10-2017 12:02

Unfortunately an Intel 'fix' makes BQM graphs meaningless. They didn't actually fix anything, they just changed the path ICMP takes within devices so that it avoids the Puma 6 problem.

Nothing is actually resolved: your production TCP, UDP, etc, traffic is still hosed, but it makes the BQM graphs look prettier.

FGUK 08-11-2017 12:31

I've been through similar problems with VMB and the SH1 a couple of years ago, promises, misinformation etc etc. I currently use VMB with a SH2, Dynamic IP (with DDNS service) at I think the 150Mb speed. Reasonably happy, but its not what I rely on day to day.

But to the point. I have been offered an upgrade, and being an old hand with VM, didn't believe what sales said until I had read this forum. So whats the latest on the Hitron, Static IP`s (either single or multiple) and modem mode/No NAT?

mrdanny 08-11-2017 13:09

Tech support called me last week to ask if it was OK to put us into a test of the fix for the poor speeds with Static Ips, which I said was OK. They this testing should start in next 2 weeks towards the end of the month. Also they said that it will involve a mixture of fixes both at their end and also to the hub.

They said they will call or email at least 48 hours before any implementation is made.

They are still aiming for end January for complete roll out of the fixes.

Will keep you posted.

ccarmock 21-11-2017 22:02

Got an email today to invite me to participate in a Hitron firmware trial, so sounds like things are starting to happen....

mrdanny 24-11-2017 07:55

Hi all yes can confirm the trial of the new firmware is proceeding I have been given 30th November 2017 as date for the update to our Hitron. It will be interesting to see how it goes is it going to be a improvement in the performance or a complete fix where you get the speed you were originally sold. Will let you all know how it goes anyway.

ccarmock 02-12-2017 15:05

The trial Hitron firmware upgrade was postponed. Now due next week

mrdanny 05-12-2017 13:56

Happening tonight, let hope they keep their word this time.

ccarmock 05-12-2017 20:43

yes I received the same notification so here's hoping!

mrdanny 06-12-2017 06:18

Not Happened here yet, the waiting and disappointment continues..........

ccarmock 06-12-2017 06:46

My Hitron did not update overnight.

mrdanny 06-12-2017 12:36

Update from Virgin

Unfortunately, we had some further problems deploying the new firmware to your router last night which we are looking into. As soon as we have any further information we will e-mail you with an update.

Pretty vague.....

ccarmock 07-12-2017 21:53

Got an email asking me to reboot the Hitron. After doing so within a few mins it started to download a new firmware version & rebooted about 10 mins later running version 4.5.10.173-UPC so far performance is fine.

pcfarrar 19-12-2017 12:38

I was having a new Voom connection installed yesterday and the engineer told me that a new business 500 Mb service is launching next year to replace the 350 Mb.

2slow4u 20-12-2017 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35927914)
Got an email asking me to reboot the Hitron. After doing so within a few mins it started to download a new firmware version & rebooted about 10 mins later running version 4.5.10.173-UPC so far performance is fine.

Are you saying you're getting full speed 24/7?. I'm getting ~15-20MB most of the time which seems to be a non issue in the night as i get the full fat 40MB/sec then.

Here is a typical speedtest result, hardly the "350Mb" its supposed to be :(

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...&sz=w1903-h984

I talked to the "2nd level support" and they said a new firmware is being trialled that fixes the issue, to be deployed in Jan. They didnt want to give me it as its a trial unfortunately :(

This after fobbing me off saying they did their tests and everything was fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfarrar (Post 35929491)
I was having a new Voom connection installed yesterday and the engineer told me that a new business 500 Mb service is launching next year to replace the 350 Mb.

I hope not, the current system is a POS so god help them if they want to push it further!

pcfarrar 20-12-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slow4u (Post 35929633)
I hope not, the current system is a POS so god help them if they want to push it further!

They've probably made a good amount of money out of it selling leased lines.. :D

I had to order one to replace a Voom connection earlier this month.

2slow4u 20-12-2017 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfarrar (Post 35929634)
They've probably made a good amount of money out of it selling leased lines.. :D

I had to order one to replace a Voom connection earlier this month.

I dont know if I should :D or :cry:

ccarmock 20-12-2017 16:03

Quote:

Are you saying you're getting full speed 24/7?.

Well I'm not constantly testing but when I have done performance since the firmware upgrade has been consistently good:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/12/32.png

Quote:

I talked to the "2nd level support" and they said a new firmware is being trialled that fixes the issue, to be deployed in Jan. They didnt want to give me it as its a trial unfortunately :(

That is my understanding too that the new firmware will be rolled out in January if the trial goes well, which it has done so far for me. I understand that some changes were required within the VM Network also.