Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin media phone scam (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707708)

baz 22-05-2019 15:12

Virgin media phone scam

just had a call supposedly from VM saying probs with router etc, from 01206972086 anyone else had this I presume another scam?:mad:

regards all
baz

RichardCoulter 22-05-2019 15:22

Re: Virgin media phone scam

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz (Post 35995795)
just had a call supposedly from VM saying probs with router etc, from 01206972086 anyone else had this I presume another scam?:mad:

regards all
baz

01206 is a Colchester area code, but when dialling it a message saying "you have dialled an incorrect number" is received. Looks to me like they have spoofed a UK telephone number to try and make themselves appear more authentic, so yes, I would agree that it looks like a scam.

Good job you weren't fooled and it was kind of you to alert people to this.

baz 22-05-2019 15:38

I often get calls from Microsoft ?? telling me my router as been compromised I get fed up of these idiots had one the other day from HMRC telling me I was going to be arrested for not paying tax that's a laugh retired now, they are the lowest of the low they will give me an internet call or withheld number or starting with 01/2/3 or whatever other number the buy them in blocks, I wont repeat what I say to them ???

RichardCoulter 22-05-2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz (Post 35995812)
I often get calls from Microsoft ?? telling me my router as been compromised I get fed up of these idiots had one the other day from HMRC telling me I was going to be arrested for not paying tax that's a laugh retired now, they are the lowest of the low they will give me an internet call or withheld number or starting with 01/2/3 or whatever other number the buy them in blocks, I wont repeat what I say to them ???

🤣🤣🤣 You do right.

Dude111 22-05-2019 21:05

I hate people who try to scam others!!!!

We get calls all the time supposedly from microsoft "YOUR WINDOWS HAS EXPIRED....... ALL SERVICES WILL BE SHUT DOWN.... CALL THIS #"

Lots of BS!!!!!!!

Stephen 23-05-2019 09:17

Well your windows version is that old maybe it's correct lol.

I got a call once about windows having a virus and they needed to take over my pc to help.

I told them to get lost as I only own and use Apple computers. The guy didn't know what to say next...

baz 23-05-2019 10:53

just had another one claiming to be from BT technical department telling me I have virus on PC i'm not even on BT lol number

tweetiepooh 23-05-2019 11:09

I had a call saying BT would close my line. I said I was on VM not BT, they rang off.

Later same day had call with same "voice" saying VM would close my line. I asked for their office/personnel number so I could confirm their ID, they rang off.

heero_yuy 23-05-2019 13:23

I had somebody phone my Virgin number (x-directory) claiming to be from BT and that my BT internet was compromised.

Usually you know it's a cold caller as there's a short "dead" delay before the call centre computer connects a salesman to you giving you time to hang up on them.

Reminds me I must get a caller ID phone on that line now that it's a no cost extra.

baz 23-05-2019 15:55

and yet another one,01902333853 I must say they are so thick they don't give up told em got wrong number fraud squad by mistake they soon hung up

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

here we go again 01928639011 another new number think i'd best stop reporting numbers now as don't want to bore or clog the forum up.