Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Things are finally going right! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709444)

Anonymouse 17-10-2020 22:27

Things are finally going right!

After I lost my job, only 20 days later (thankfully!) I got a new one. The job itself was fine: much easier work, no heavy lifting (lots of light lifting I was well able to cope with), and colleagues who aren't overgrown kids, plus very good pay. The only kicker was the nightmare commute...between Bolton and Sheffield.

Picture it: Bolton to Man Picc; Man Picc to Leeds (after a fair bit of waiting time); Leeds to Thurnscoe (nearest station and more waiting time); cycle ride, 2.5 miles, to ASOS Barnsley/XPO Logistics.

After a week, though, I discovered there's a private bus service between the site and Sheffield, so the commute became a bit easier...but no less expensive, and it still took hours, It was really starting to get to me. Getting home on Sunday morning (night shift was Tue - Sat) was the worst - Sheffield station doesn't even open until 7:30...and the first train to Man Picc isn't till just after 9am. I was getting home at 12pm or later on Sundays, utterly shattered. More than once I nodded off and missed my stop, having to come back from Westhoughton, and not just on Sundays.

However, one of my trainers mentioned a site XPO have at Trafford Park, a much easier and cheaper commute. I looked into this, but after a few weeks when nothing seemed to be happening as regards an official transfer or whatever, I took matters into my own hands - and myself to the site.

This involved a bit of Google research and much use of Maps to work out a train/cycle route via Trafford Park, though my new phone has a very useful map app (I will reluctantly admit I should've got a proper smartphone ages ago, it's just that I hate the damn things and see them as a necessary evil). I talked to Personnel there and explained the situation, i.e. I was very happy with every aspect of the job except one, and could I perhaps come to work here instead?

It worked! Not long after I was invited to an induction, and this Monday I started work at Missguided!

I like the name, it's such a clever pun. And this job's even easier: stock control, i.e. checking contents of cartons in shelf locations: does this carton actually contain 50 crop tops, or 8 hoodies, or 20 white thongs size 14, or are there only 47/7/19 of each?

The best way to get things done these days is to make them happen. So I did. I have cut about 2 hours off my commute and it now costs a third of what it did: Bolton - Man Picc, walk/cycle/tram (dealer's choice) to Picc Gardens, 250 bus to almost the front gate, just 200 or so yards away. Result!

Hugh 17-10-2020 22:32

Re: Things are finally going right!

Well done - pleased it’s all worked out for you.

SnoopZ 17-10-2020 22:34

Is learning to drive an option as it always seems your commute is the problem?

Chris 17-10-2020 22:35

So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs? :D

SnoopZ 17-10-2020 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36054187)
So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs? :D

:D

Julian 18-10-2020 00:40

Glad to see thongs are looking up for you........

Anonymouse 19-10-2020 18:20

Driving's out. I don't want to know. In a previous job they had us driving 3.5 ton delivery vans, learning to back them onto delivery bays, but I could not get the hang of it. Driving's like flying: you need to have a feel for it. Some people do, some don't. I don't. Besides, I've had my fill of accidents just on a bike. :p:

Anonymouse 20-10-2020 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36054187)

No, it's just the location; the vast majority of clothes I've dealt with up to press have been tops, leggings and T-shirts. Thongs have been very seldom as yet, and now you've got me doing it! :p:

Can't help but remember Pinocchio in one of the Shrek films; he states, "I'm wearing women's underwear"...and nothing happens re his nose.

"You mean you are wearing women's underwear?" Donkey asks.

"I most certainly am not!" (nose grows!)

"You most certainly am are!"

"Am not!" (nose grows again!)

"What kind?" Puss inquires.

"It's a THONG!" cries Gingerbread Man.

Anonymouse 09-12-2020 04:33

Unfortunately the thread title is now inaccurate...because we have now returned to the scheduled programme called My Sucky Life. Due to low work volume about a dozen agency staff have been laid off...including me.

Here we go again...:(

On a slightly brighter note, apparently my Universal Credit claim is still being processed - I thought it was odd when I didn't get anything, but it seems I will in 2 days' time. For the current situation I just had to submit a 'change of circumstances' form and start looking for work again.

Halcyon 09-12-2020 11:31

Never give up!

I totally agree with you. The best way to get things done is to get on and do it.
It only takes a few moments to ask and if you don't ask you'll never know.

I wish you luck in finding something soon but it sounds like you definitely have the right attitude and will get there.

Anonymouse 10-12-2020 10:35

Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon! :D

denphone 10-12-2020 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36061609)
Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon! :D

Good luck Anonymouse.

heero_yuy 10-12-2020 11:22

Quote:

Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages. :erm:

papa smurf 10-12-2020 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36061623)
Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages. :erm:

A bit like tossing the caber ;)

RichardCoulter 10-12-2020 22:30

Quote:

Tell them that you used to love knocking on people's doors and running away when you were a child and that you never grew out of it.....you're sure to get a job with them :D