Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33615173)

Panes XP 31-05-2007 13:20

Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband

I am intending to share a 20mb Virgin Media Broadband connection with other people in my street.

Would I be able to use the old rediffusion cable ducts for my new cabling?

Do Virgin Media prohibit you from sharing your broadband with other households?

The other problem I have to overcome is that Cat5e cabling has a maximum distance of only 90 metres and I think Cat6 can be run for only 150 metres.

Thanks in advance.

dcclanuk 31-05-2007 13:21

Re: Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband

Not allowed to do that AFAIK with VM! [or any ISP for that matter!]

on in an hour! 31-05-2007 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panes XP (Post 34318012)
I am intending to share a 20mb Virgin Media Broadband connection with other people in my street.

The other problem I have to overcome is that Cat5e cabling has a maximum distance of only 90 metres and I think Cat6 can be run for only 150 metres.

Thanks in advance.

thats a big NO NO my friend.:td:

punky 31-05-2007 13:27

Moved to VM broadband forum.

Nikesh 31-05-2007 13:29

Don't think you're allowed to do that... but you could just get a powerful wireless router and share that with your neighbours on your street. :)

prawncocktail 31-05-2007 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikesh (Post 34318029)
Don't think you're allowed to do that... but you could just get a powerful wireless router and share that with your neighbours on your street. :)

also illegal

Do not do any of what you have suggested, you can be heavily fined and even go to prison for it. Your 20mb connection or any connection with any isp if for your use only, you are not allowed to share it and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure nobody can access your connection (mainly applic. to wireless) other than you. If you dont do this you can get in serious trouble not just with your isp but also the police

Nikesh 31-05-2007 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by skirkby (Post 34318042)
also illegal

Do not do any of what you have suggested, you can be heavily fined and even go to prison for it

Really?! Sorry I didn't realise. Scrap my suggestion. :)

Shaun 31-05-2007 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikesh (Post 34318029)

How is that any different to using a wired solution?

The OP could buy a business product/reseller product and charge the rest of the street to help cover the additional cost but there wouldn't be that much of a saving and the OP would be responsible for all maintenance and such like.:erm:

prawncocktail 31-05-2007 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikesh (Post 34318043)
Really?! Sorry I didn't realise. Scrap my suggestion. :)

no problem, just be careful

ssdd 31-05-2007 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panes XP (Post 34318012)

Thanks in advance.

Prey do tell us WHY you want to do this, as as said before "it's a NO NO"

Nikesh 31-05-2007 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 34318044)
How is that any different to using a wired solution?

The OP could buy a business product/reseller product and charge the rest of the street to help cover the additional cost but there wouldn't be that much of a saving and the OP would be responsible for all maintenance and such like.:erm:

Sorry LOL.... I obviously didn't think it through....

Panes XP 31-05-2007 13:47

When I phoned up Virgin Media last week asking about download limits, contention ratio etc.. I also asked whether I will be able to share my broadband with my neighbor and they interestingly said it was fine and that I will need to purchase a wireless router.

So I suppose thats a verbal contract?

Tightscot 31-05-2007 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panes XP (Post 34318058)

not worth the paper it's written on...:)

brundles 31-05-2007 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panes XP (Post 34318058)
When I phoned up Virgin Media last week asking about download limits, contention ratio etc.. I also asked whether I will be able to share my broadband with my neighbor and they interestingly said it was fine and that I will need to purchase a wireless router.

I believe that technically it's against the Ts&Cs to share the broadband outside the household that it's installed to.

If nothing else, I wouldn't be comfortable sharing my broadband connection to any device I wasn't aware of and couldn't exert some form of control/restrictions over. Whatever gets done on your broadband connection, whoever by eventually leads back to your front door.

xspeedyx 31-05-2007 14:44

lol nice guy but nooooooooooooooo way are u meant to not sure how they will know this but I wouldntr risk that