Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Fixed IP address (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709134)

ian-uk 16-06-2020 09:23

Fixed IP address

Hi, does anyone know if you can get a fixed IP address with virgin media and how to get it.

Kushan 16-06-2020 09:31

Re: Fixed IP address

You can with Virgin Media Business, but not residential.

However, on the residential side your IP lease gets extended longer and longer the longer you have it. It will only change if you change your equipment (plug a different router in without using the old router's MAC) or there's certain works in the area, stuff like that. Depending on _how_ static you need your IP to be, it might be good enough.

Otherwise, pay for a business package.

tweetiepooh 16-06-2020 11:04

You can setup things like dyndns, noip etc that can match your IP to a name, some services are free some have a small charge.
Some routers can update the service settings for you, otherwise you can get software on a PC that's always on.
The upshot of which is that if your IP changes you can use a DNS entry to access it.

Kushan 16-06-2020 12:14

That's the best way to do it, that's what I do. All automated, don't even have to think about it. If my IP changes, it's just DNS propagation I have to wait for - usually minutes at most, though can be a couple of hours.

Maltloaf 22-06-2020 00:05

Just spotted this post, was looking at switching to virgin. But need a fixed ip. Just presumed it would not be a problem. Will look into the business prices but I suspect they will be more than I want to pay. I work from home but only want to pay residential rates really as I am not vat registered.

Kushan 22-06-2020 13:12

What do you need a fixed IP on a residential connection for? If you're running a business, don't use a residential connection, you don't want to be caught out with your residential connection having a residential SLA.

Maltloaf 24-06-2020 16:19

Having a fix ip allows me to remote connect to devices back home when out. We have Ip cameras and also use it for DNS management.

rtho782 29-06-2020 11:30

Virgin's dynamic IPs are so static I had the same one for 4 years until I changed my router recently from a USG to a UDM-Pro.

Even on the two occasions we've closed the account, to reopen in the wife's name, and then mine again, to chase better deals, we've kept the same IP.

You don't need a fixed IP to connect remotely anyway, many of us host websites at home and run VPN back to home for our phones etc, all on a dynamic IP with ddns.

Getting a static IP from VM Business would involve a GRE tunnel and is bad.

heero_yuy 29-06-2020 15:25

I've just changed over from a SH1 and Cisco VHD box to a SH3, initially in router mode for registration and software update, then modem mode together with a V6 box and still have the same IP.

The only time it's changed is when VM do a large equipment upgrade / re-segmentation.

Kushan 29-06-2020 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltloaf (Post 36041052)
Having a fix ip allows me to remote connect to devices back home when out. We have Ip cameras and also use it for DNS management.

Then just use a DDNS service to update your DNS records if your IP Ever changes. As others have stated, it rarely changes with Virgin but if it does, you'll not even notice.

As long as you're not running an e-commerce site or something, you'll be fine. I've been running services off my domain name for over a decade now, via several house moves and IP flushes without anyone ever noticing.