Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709318)

Media Boy UK 28-08-2020 18:02

Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?

With Broadcasting going HD only or closing channels down is the time right for Virgin to do some tidy up?

You can see it with the following channels and areas.

214. DMAX +1
216. Blaze
222. C&I +1
226. Drama +1

536. Racing TV HD
544. LFC HD
546. Box Nation
551. Premier Sports 1 HD

But Virgin has only got two free channels left before the shopping channels start at channel 740. With the Kids channels having only 23 channels out of 39 EPG slots.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

This is just an fun poll so what is your views on Virgin Media UK's hit or miss EPG Channels numbers.

Mr K 28-08-2020 18:09

Re: Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?

Be nice if the +1 channels were next to the main channel in the order.

ScottishSteve 28-08-2020 18:12

3 more slots will be available soon in kids when the Disney channels are axed next month

I agree a tidy up is needed.

HD Swap just like sky would be great and save a lot of space

Media Boy UK 28-08-2020 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36048012)

UKTV and Sky has done that in the past but when new deal was signed they ask for the main channels or HD Channels to be moved to use the +1 channel ex channel numbers.

I mean Challenge +1 was on channel 140 but when Sky Crime was launching it moved to Channel 229.

RobboEdin 28-08-2020 18:51

It won’t matter when we get access to the Horizon box.
The Horizon software has profiles, each of which can set up their own channel list in any order you like.

cheekyangus 28-08-2020 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36048018)
It won’t matter when we get access to the Horizon box.
The Horizon software has profiles, each of which can set up their own channel list in any order you like.

If they are really not updating V6 to Horizon it'll be a while before most VM TV customers have access to a box with this feature.

Media Boy UK 28-08-2020 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36048019)
If they are really not updating V6 to Horizon it'll be a while before most VM TV customers have access to a box with this feature.

Telewest did have this feature when I join Telewest Digital back in 1999 on their boxes before it was axe when on demand started. (I has only 75 channels when I joined - months before Radio appeared.)

Raider999 28-08-2020 19:57

Quote:

Not going to happen thank goodness (can't have itv+1 after itv because ch4 is there)

Mad Max 28-08-2020 20:30

Quote:

Be nice if they were all binned!

muppetman11 28-08-2020 20:33

When watching Sky Replay (Sky 2) do Virgin offer a pop up prompt to watch the show airing from the start and in HD ?

fox35 28-08-2020 20:58

I really don't see the need for the +1s anymore, or for that matter most of the other drivel repeat linear channels. With access to more and more content through Catch Up and On Demand both through VM apps or other means, will there really be such a need for the +1s in 2021+?
With the future release of the Horizon update and other advanced tech moving forward, including cloud storage, I think more and more such content will be app based, on demand and on the go.

muppetman11 28-08-2020 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36048030)
I really don't see the need for the +1s anymore, or for that matter most of the other drivel repeat linear channels. With access to more and more content through Catch Up and On Demand both through VM apps or other means, will there really be such a need for the +1s in 2021+?
With the future release of the Horizon update and other advanced tech moving forward, including cloud storage, I think more and more such content will be app based, on demand and on the go.

Cloud recordings hasn't happened with the big TV platforms owing to rights issues. On Demand and Catch Up is already in the Cloud the sting being the length of time Shows/Movies are available via this method.

Chris 29-08-2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36048021)
Telewest did have this feature when I join Telewest Digital back in 1999 on their boxes before it was axe when on demand started. (I has only 75 channels when I joined - months before Radio appeared.)

NTL also allowed you to reorganise your epg once upon a time. They introduced it with their CR3 software update in around 2002 or 2003 I think ... I went off-net a couple of years after that so I don’t know when or why they junked that feature. It was one of the simplest yet most useful things they ever did.

Maggy 29-08-2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36048030)

It's useful if you have missed the start of a programme.;) What's really need is better programmes..on all channels. So much crap and repeats.

Carth 29-08-2020 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36048052)
It's useful if you have missed the start of a programme.;) What's really need is better programmes..on all channels. So much crap and repeats.

Couldn't agree more Maggy :tu:

No matter who provides your TV viewing, around 80% of it - IMO - is worthless garbage, simply a filler between adverts :D