Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Removal of vm equipment (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710404)

Brunel 27-09-2021 11:16

Removal of vm equipment

Asking for a friend.

Moving into a house that the previous occupant had broadband supplied by VM.

This is no longer in use.

The house will be modernised and the garden landscaped.

Who to contact for removal of all unwanted VM cabling & equipment etc?

Thanks.

tweetiepooh 27-09-2021 12:15

Re: Removal of vm equipment

Personally I'd find way to leave the VM cable into the house present as it could make sale easier and you may want VM sometime in the future. Can be left tidy on the inside but ready to use.

Jaymoss 27-09-2021 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36094787)
Personally I'd find way to leave the VM cable into the house present as it could make sale easier and you may want VM sometime in the future. Can be left tidy on the inside but ready to use.

as he said the garden is being landscaped. My cable in only a few centimeters down so if I ever wanted to do anything I would be scuppered. If a new owner wanted it VM would just have to do a repull

nodrogd 01-10-2021 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36094788)
as he said the garden is being landscaped. My cable in only a few centimeters down so if I ever wanted to do anything I would be scuppered. If a new owner wanted it VM would just have to do a repull

Mainly due the chronic state of VMs inherited ducting cables are being jointed more than replaced now, as repulls are causing issues. It has led to some properties being declared unserviceable.

Brunel 01-10-2021 11:02

The reponse from V.M.

"The cable will remain our property and will be classed as a utility in the same brackets as gas, water electric etc

Removing this may have a detrimental effect on the local network for customers in the area

That is why we ask to keep it in place

Also if the Home owner required services, Then it would need a dig again.

Sadly we are not able to remove this"

heero_yuy 01-10-2021 14:00

1 Attachment(s)
What I have seen some people do is to roll up the cable and terminating box and place it at the boundary of the property. As they state the cable should be properly terminated to prevent others from loosing service.

Typical terminator looks like this:

Attachment 29267

Brunel 01-10-2021 14:12

Thanks, your info. will be taken into consideration....

Jaymoss 01-10-2021 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunel (Post 36095352)
The reponse from V.M.

"The cable will remain our property and will be classed as a utility in the same brackets as gas, water electric etc

Removing this may have a detrimental effect on the local network for customers in the area

That is why we ask to keep it in place

Also if the Home owner required services, Then it would need a dig again.

Sadly we are not able to remove this"

find how deep it is and then when it is inevitably not deep enough complain
it does not comply with standards

Brunel 01-10-2021 15:02

The cable ducting is 1-2 cms. below the surface.

raging bull 01-10-2021 16:03

Back in the day the recommended depth to bury cable was one spades depth.

RichardCoulter 01-10-2021 16:13

I'm sure that they would like you to keep it there as it encourages new occupants to subscribe and makes it easier & cheaper for them if they do.

However, VM are notorious for being awkward and inflexible depending upon what benefits them, up to and including lying in my (and others) experience/opinion, so make sure that any agreement is in writing.

I can't imagine that they could legally do anything about it if anyone didn't want it on their property and insisted on its removal.

In the old days of cable, when cable was strung from house to house, a rental fee was paid to properties that didn't subscribe. This might be worth pursuing for some people to either make a little money or (more likely) get VM to remove it.

Jaymoss 01-10-2021 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunel (Post 36095384)
The cable ducting is 1-2 cms. below the surface.

mine is only that deep too

Pierre 01-10-2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36095409)
mine is only that deep too

There is no specification for the depth of the drop cable from the property boundary to the property.

Depth in the footway/ Carriageway is 250mm/450mm respectively

Commonsense would suggest if you laying across a garden that you would put it down a good spades depth+, as suggested, to prevent a future spade going through it.

But it depends how hard the ground is. Installers only carry basic tools and if it is hard ground they won't waste time breaking through it.

You have instructed them to remove it, they have said they won't. In the absence of an agreement between you and Virgin Media for it to be there they are trespassing and you are within your rights to remove it.

If you wanted service in the future, or a subsequent owner wanted service, VM will just run another cable to the property.