Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Glass TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710438)

nialli 07-10-2021 12:14

Sky Glass TV

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-gl...dish-necessary

SnoopZ 07-10-2021 12:25

Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

I wouldn't go out and buy a new TV just to have Sky built in, they need a standalone box that anyone can use over their broadband connection, i guess that'll be out at the same time.

Jaymoss 07-10-2021 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36096314)

if them prices are right then the tvs are cheaper to buy monthly than outright but I would not want to be tied to a 4 year contract

Bob 07-10-2021 16:09

It's certainly an interesting proposition.

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources

1701-e 07-10-2021 17:10

In relation to the thread title..... No!

muppetman11 07-10-2021 18:08

Not remotely interested and not something that would tempt me back to Sky.

Itshim 07-10-2021 18:15

Don't see the point but what do I know!

Mad Max 07-10-2021 19:47

Looks interesting, quite a change in the offing with regards to not needing a STB/dish.

Legendkiller2k 07-10-2021 20:30

All i'm saying is don't count vm out just yet they have something in the pipeline ;)

Mad Max 07-10-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096436)
All i'm saying is don't count vm out just yet they have something in the pipeline ;)

Ooooh, you're such a tease....:D

TimeLord2018 07-10-2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36096369)

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources

There is no Recording facility
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/revie...lass-review-tv

Jaymoss 07-10-2021 20:43

Quote:

Sources

So I guess it is an ok way of getting a TV on interest free credit (although if you shop around Paypal Credit with some retailers do interest free)

I have to say again, Who made up the pricing? £1049 to buy the 65 inch model outright or pay £21 which is £1008 so buy it on terms save £40 and not see all the money go at once

Hugh 07-10-2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096436)

A TV that can receive streaming & linear via a built-in satellite dish?

:D

Mr K 07-10-2021 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36096429)
Looks interesting, quite a change in the offing with regards to not needing a STB/dish.

Yes but you do need an Internet connection. It goes down, so does your TV.
Same with voip v landline phone. .
There are advantages to not having tv, broadband and phone all dependent on the same BB connection.

Hugh 07-10-2021 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096445)
Yes but you do need an Internet connection. It goes down, so does your TV.
Same with voip v landline phone. .
There are advantages to not having tv, broadband and phone all dependent on the same BB connection.

It’s got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

That’s what we have on our Sony TV.

Mr K 07-10-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096448)
Its got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

For which you'd need an aerial, which defeats the object of no wires, outside house adornments ?

jfman 07-10-2021 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096451)
For which you'd need an aerial, which defeats the object of no wires, outside house adornments ?

If anyone were to be prepared for the apocalypse with a some D size batteries, a torch, a wind up radio and an indoor antenna I’d have predicted you, Mr K. After all you’ve had 5 years to prepare. ;)

Mr K 07-10-2021 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096452)
If anyone were to be prepared for the apocalypse with a some D size batteries, a torch, a wind up radio and an indoor antenna I’d have predicted you, Mr K. After all you’ve had 5 years to prepare. ;)

Funny you should say that. I've been struggling to find D size batteries lately , I blame B***** :D

nomadking 07-10-2021 21:10

So basically an all-channel version of Virgin TV Go.

jfman 07-10-2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096455)
So basically an all-channel version of Virgin TV Go.

This bit isn’t quite confirmed.

Hugh 07-10-2021 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096451)

Or…

Do what we do in the guest bedroom, and use an internal aerial (as back up to the Fire Stick).

nomadking 07-10-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096456)
This bit isn’t quite confirmed.

If it is the case that not all Sky channels will be included, doesn't that mean people will still need the dish etc for those missing channels?

jfman 07-10-2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096458)
If it is the case that not all Sky channels will be included, doesn't that mean people will still need the dish etc for those missing channels?

Well it doesn’t have a satellite tuner, but the indication is it won’t have the same number of channels they advertise on the comparable Q package. Now they might all be FTA ones but it’s not quite confirmed. But even if FTA, there isn’t the tuner to integrate them.

nomadking 07-10-2021 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096459)
Well it doesn’t have a satellite tuner, but the indication is it won’t have the same number of channels they advertise on the comparable Q package. Now they might all be FTA ones but it’s not quite confirmed. But even if FTA, there isn’t the tuner to integrate them.

Isn't it simply going to be streaming channels over the broadband connection, rather than "tuning in" to anything. It's meant to be a full satellite replacement, so should have all Sky Channels.
Quote:

For an extra £10 per month, you can get a Puck for adding the Sky Glass interface to other TVs in your room as part of Sky Whole Home. And, Sky will introduce an exchange program that lets you "regularly" swap out the TV for the newer model, too.
I wonder if that device requires the Sky Glass TV as a base station, and not something that everybody else could use.
Not sure I'd want to be tied to a limited range of TVs from one supplier.

TimeLord2018 07-10-2021 22:22

The Puck devices will only be sold with Sky Glass meaning they cannot be purchased separately.

nomadking 07-10-2021 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36096465)
The Puck devices will only be sold with a Sky Glass TV, meaning they cannot be purchased separately.

But from a technical point of view, could they be sold separately? Or do they need a Sky Glass TV in order to work?

Paul 07-10-2021 22:40

43" - Too Small
55" - Too Big.

Both my TVs are 50", which is just right for me atm.
Plus I would not want to buy another TV just to watch Sky
(One of my current ones I only got 3 months ago).

On top of that, it doesnt look like you can record (or download ?) anything.

All in all, pretty pointless. I'll wait for an actual box to appear.

Legendkiller2k 07-10-2021 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36096439)
Ooooh, you're such a tease....:D

Tbf it's already in the open lol their iptv service lot of testing going on now so shouldn't be long before vm broadband customers can get it, then afterwards it'll be available to anyone with decent broadband (25mbs) is what they recommend although for sd 4mbs will be plenty.

nialli 08-10-2021 10:49

I started this thread with a clumsy title. Can an admin please change it to "Sky Glass" or something more appropriate? Thanks

tweetiepooh 08-10-2021 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36096469)
43" - Too Small
55" - Too Big.

For our room 43" could be too big. Viewing distance between say 1m and 4m, wide range of angles. But good TV's in smaller packages aren't forthcoming.

Joedm45 08-10-2021 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096473)
Tbf it's already in the open lol their iptv service lot of testing going on now so shouldn't be long before vm broadband customers can get it, then afterwards it'll be available to anyone with decent broadband (25mbs) is what they recommend although for sd 4mbs will be plenty.

Dammit, there's me hoping they were relaunching the Telly Tablet :D:D:D

Legendkiller2k 08-10-2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36096534)

We pretend that don't exist lol, mind you i saw one in a local cash converters the other day for £99 lol.

Mad Max 08-10-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36096534)

Be better with Telly Tubbies..:D

OLD BOY 08-10-2021 17:08

Quote:

Sources

What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!

heero_yuy 08-10-2021 17:37

Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.

ozsat 08-10-2021 17:48

After discounting the +1 channels - it seems a lot of channels will not be available.

It may be a similar line-up to the SkyGO service which has quite a few missing - perhaps no streaming contract with the provder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36096563)
You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.

Inactive Digital 08-10-2021 17:49

Quote:

What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!

I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.

nomadking 08-10-2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36096575)
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.

Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.

Inactive Digital 08-10-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096578)
Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.

That's my thinking too.

Itshim 08-10-2021 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096448)
It’s got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

That’s what we have on our Sony TV.

Surely most TV,: s have one ? :confused:

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36096443)
So I guess it is an ok way of getting a TV on interest free credit (although if you shop around Paypal Credit with some retailers do interest free)

I have to say again, Who made up the pricing? £1049 to buy the 65 inch model outright or pay £21 which is £1008 so buy it on terms save £40 and not see all the money go at once

Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .

Hugh 08-10-2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36096583)
Surely most TV,: s have one ? :confused:

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .

They also need to have a Freeview tuner - it wasn’t clear initially that Sky Glass had this.

MattGarner 10-10-2021 18:40

Quote:

The TV's do come with HDMI ports so I wouldn't say "locked in" - Assuming these ports would work for your DVD players, game consoles etc. So technically you could plug in a Virgin box if you really wanted to.

andreww342003 10-10-2021 20:30

Re: Sky Glass TV

Sky did previously release their own branded TV's back around 2003, they were simply cheap TV's with the Sky branding and only available from SkyBuy, Sky's interactive shop that was only available to Sky Digital. Those TVs could work with any provider, and I would be very surprised if this Sky Glass did not come with external HDMI for customers to connect their consoles or Blu-ray players, unless they intend to introduce some sort of Xbox Cloud or PlayStation Now app for that.

There were also Sky IDTV's from Panasonic and LG, the former also featured a Freeview tuner which Sky later abandoned, since these sets fell behind software upgrade releases. These TV's had built in internal Digibox's to compete with the ONdigital integrated TVs.

To be honest the lack of Sky Q support or any sort of satellite dish connectivity puts me off this, I don't like having everything going through one wire since if that fails your left with nothing, and I doubt this TV would be friendly to mobile data plans.
At least with Virgin the TV is somewhat separate from the broadband so if that goes down you can continue to watch the linear or recorded channels, just with no ondemand access. But with BT/TalkTalk TV since everything subscription related goes though the internet, your left with nothing but the Freeview channels. And there's the issue when trying to download a Steam game and watch a subscription channel at the same time, the TV service starts to break up since it cant handle the multicast channels whilst downloading, so I have to cap the Stream download to about 1 Mbps.
Basically we are not ready for IPTV just yet, at least for HD or 4K.

TimeLord2018 11-10-2021 10:28

List of broadcast channels available on Sky Glass at launch
http://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-...list-sky-glass

Jaymoss 11-10-2021 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36096568)
Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.

I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha

Raider999 11-10-2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36097009)
I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha

I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)

Jaymoss 11-10-2021 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36097052)
I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)

Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha

Raider999 11-10-2021 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36097062)
Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha

I believe I read an article that said all OLED are either LG or produced by others under license to LG.

TimeLord2018 11-10-2021 16:50

The Sky Glass TV is made by TP Vision who make Philips TV sets

Quote:

The panel itself is supplied by TP Vision, the company behind Philips TVs. It combines the quantum dot technology made famous by Samsung's QLED TVs with a direct LED backlight. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Sky isn't getting into specifics such as the number of dimming zones Sky Glass has, or its peak brightness figures.
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish

OLD BOY 11-10-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36096575)

I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.

jfman 12-10-2021 20:46

Suspect given the entrenched poverty caused by energy prices, Universal Credit cuts, etc that Sky don’t want to be advertising interest free TVs to non-subscribers. Especially in the early days. Hence the lack of specificity.

Legendkiller2k 13-10-2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097080)
I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.

It'll work as a freeview tv once you cancel subscription, notes we have say you'll still be able to use Netflix, prime etc but noth SKQ itself.
You can connect 3 devices via the HDMI ports, if you have a hdmi switch/splitter you can ofcourse connect more devices, it does work with VM boxes no problems, however if you're staying with VM you'd be better of buying a standard smart tv, the SKY glass isn't all that from what we've been told in office.
I'm yet to see one but we're having a demo one in this week so i'll hopefully have more info then unless only the oompa loompas upstairs get the demo.

Media Boy UK 16-10-2021 23:38

Sky Glass Channel lineup revealed on DS Forum:

Highlights are:

-ViacomCBS to launch HD Channels for 5 Star and 5 USA

-Sky to launch HD Channels for Pick and Sky Replay

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament

-Sky to add up to FIVE UHD Channels to EPG

In full: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_99765764

Paul 16-10-2021 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36097664)
Highlights are:

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament

Thats a Highlight :erm:

Pass.

Stephen 17-10-2021 19:45

I'd think about the 43" for our bedroom as don't currently have one there.

It's got decent specs and a soundbar built in. So wall mounting it would mean only having a power cable to hide.

In that respect its brilliant.

Legendkiller2k 17-10-2021 20:17

Can't wait for Virgin sand to launch. :p

Paul 18-10-2021 04:08

and what is Virgin Sand ?

cheekyangus 18-10-2021 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097772)

I think Legendkiller2k is referencing something they've seen at work and can't talk about yet.

Sand basically being part of glass production is just humourous way to say it's a Virgin Media branded TV product.

Stephen 18-10-2021 10:57

I think he is more likely just having a laugh.

Mad Max 18-10-2021 13:00

Quote:

Must be a beach somewhere nobody has walked on...:D

Legendkiller2k 18-10-2021 13:16

Quote:

I was being silly lol, but vm do have a streaming service coming out no idea of it's name yet though.

ozsat 18-10-2021 16:31

Virgin Oil - or Extra Virgin Oil for the top package. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36097828)
I was being silly lol, but vm do have a streaming service coming out no idea of it's name yet though.

andreww342003 20-10-2021 21:14

Thinking about it, Virgin did release an Android tablet that had built in steaming apps, The Virgin Telly Tablet
Scale it up and they could just release an Android TV with their apps integrated.

TimeLord2018 24-10-2021 20:34

Reading some of the posts on Sky forum , Digital Spy and YouTube videos about Sky Glass, the Playlist function seems to be poorly implemented

OLD BOY 25-10-2021 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36098678)
Reading some of the posts on Sky forum , Digital Spy and YouTube videos about Sky Glass, the Playlist function seems to be poorly implemented

I am not attracted by the Sky Glass service at all. The Roku TVs seem to be much better with this sort of concept. All the Sky programming is accessible from there via Now TV and there are loads more streaming services displayed.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/...aming%20player.

muppetman11 26-10-2021 23:13

Roku is great but sadly doesn’t include all the services content in its Universal search.

Mad Max 28-10-2021 20:20

Peacock TV, eh, looks like some really riveting stuff on there, like this lot

Peacock, bringing The Real Housewives of Dallas, Bethenny Ever After, Kourtney & Kim Take New York, Very Cavallari and WAGS (and many more) to the streaming service. :rolleyes:

OLD BOY 28-10-2021 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36099118)

Peacock, bringing The Real Housewives of Dallas, Bethenny Ever After, Kourtney & Kim Take New York, Very Cavallari and WAGS (and many more) to the streaming service. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Sky’s usual fayre!

Paul 28-10-2021 20:25

Quote:

Pass. :sleep:

muppetman11 28-10-2021 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099120)
Sounds like Sky’s usual fayre!

Peacock has plenty of decent shows/movies although I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

TimeLord2018 28-10-2021 20:33

Quote:

I think that's Hayu not Peacock.

OLD BOY 29-10-2021 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099126)
Peacock has plenty of decent shows/movies although I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

Decent shows, some of them, maybe. But haven’t we already seen all the decent stuff?

As a free service, it’s fine, but I doubt there’s much on there for me, so I wouldn’t pay for it either - nor would I watch the advert-infested free version.

muppetman11 29-10-2021 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099160)
Decent shows, some of them, maybe. But haven’t we already seen all the decent stuff?

As a free service, it’s fine, but I doubt there’s much on there for me, so I wouldn’t pay for it either - nor would I watch the advert-infested free version.

There are tons of shows on there I haven’t seen , not sure about yourself but I don’t sit around watching TV all day , you seem to assume if you’ve seen it everybody has.:D

cheekyangus 29-10-2021 15:39

Someone asked what's on Sky Glass (maybe it wasn't on this specific CF thread) and RXTVlog just posted this article covering it.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/sky-glass-...-and-whats-not

Mad Max 29-10-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36099127)
I think that's Hayu not Peacock.

The below is on Peacock.

Reality TV is getting space on Peacock, bringing The Real Housewives of Dallas, Bethenny Ever After, Kourtney & Kim Take New York, Very Cavallari and WAGS (and many more) to the streaming service.

muppetman11 29-10-2021 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36099239)
The below is on Peacock.

Reality TV is getting space on Peacock, bringing The Real Housewives of Dallas, Bethenny Ever After, Kourtney & Kim Take New York, Very Cavallari and WAGS (and many more) to the streaming service.

You’d be surprised to know there are lots and lots of people who watch that trash.:D

OLD BOY 29-10-2021 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099164)
There are tons of shows on there I haven’t seen , not sure about yourself but I don’t sit around watching TV all day , you seem to assume if you’ve seen it everybody has.:D

Yes, muppetman, I am sure there are, but aren’t we all looking at these things from our own perspectives?

And no, I watch TV between about 9.15pm to 11pm Sunday to Thursday and until about 2 or 3am on Fridays and Saturdays. Is that excessive?

I don’t miss the good shows. I record them or add them to watchlists. However, I appreciate that some people, maybe most, are not that organised.

If Peacock start showing originals or stuff I’ve not seen before that is up to standard (in my eyes) then I will consider subscribing.

Itshim 29-10-2021 17:22

Ok I will ask the question , what has this got to do with virgin media service?

OLD BOY 29-10-2021 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36099243)

It hasn’t, directly at least. However, the introduction of Sky Glass sets Virgin a challenge of doing something similar. Or not.

Carth 29-10-2021 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099250)
It hasn’t, directly at least. However, the introduction of Sky Glass sets Virgin a challenge of doing something similar. Or not.

I see no reason they'd have to 'copy' the idea, or spend time & money developing something similar.

VM works with all TV's that can use a 'box', why would they bother?

Paul 29-10-2021 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36099230)
Someone asked what's on Sky Glass (maybe it wasn't on this specific CF thread) and RXTVlog just posted this article covering it.

Thats a pretty big list.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36099243)

Nothing at all, no one mentioned (or noticed) it was in the wrong place. Moved.

OLD BOY 29-10-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36099230)

Thank you, cheekyangus. I note that the My5 app isn’t on there.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36099252)
I see no reason they'd have to 'copy' the idea, or spend time & money developing something similar.

VM works with all TV's that can use a 'box', why would they bother?

Perhaps by not having a Virgin equivalent or a better Virgin alternative, they may lose audience share.

Carth 29-10-2021 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099273)
Thank you, cheekyangus. I note that the My5 app isn’t on there.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Perhaps by not having a Virgin equivalent or a better Virgin alternative, they may lose audience share.

You've seen the costs, you've seen the channels on offer, what Virgin deal would you say is Sky Glass equivalent to (if any) at the moment?
Wouldn't you think most of the 'valued' VM customers have better anyway, and those who don't won't be interested in a 'Glass specific' TV will they.

Itshim 31-10-2021 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36099256)
Thats a pretty big list.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Nothing at all, no one mentioned (or noticed) it was in the wrong place. Moved.

Thought I had missed something . When Tec is involved I am really slow on the uptake :rolleyes:

cheekyangus 13-11-2021 20:04

According to jimbo on Digital Spy not only are all the English Regions still SD on Sky Glass, so are BBC Parliament and BBC Alba.

denphone 22-11-2021 07:38

A pretty thorough fair review for those considering Sky Glass TV here.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...medium=twitter

Paul 22-11-2021 15:55

Yeah, there is nothing compelling about it at all. I wont be considering it.

muppetman11 22-11-2021 18:56

I would never consider Sky Glass if in the future you can buy the same thing delivered via just a box then maybe I’d consider it.

Paul 22-11-2021 20:15

You can largely do that already with NOW and other catchup apps on an android tv box.

muppetman11 22-11-2021 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36102123)
You can largely do that already with NOW and other catchup apps on an android tv box.

I already use Now but Sky Glass offers a wider range of channels and is a little better integrated but no way I’d stump up for a TV set just to get it.