Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709206)

JMcB 07-07-2020 19:58

New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Hi all, just looking some people's opinions on a new set up. I have always run with VM standard setup (Superhub running as WiFi router.) But I've got a new router and a new Cat-8 network cable.

My question is, when I change my VM router to a Modem and connect to the new router will I get better speed with the new Cat-8 network cable or should I stick with the Cat-6 that I have.

I'm hopping to do speed tests at each point just to see.

General Maximus 07-07-2020 20:02

Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

you won't notice any different whatsoever and it will be a very long time until you do. I don't know what the cost of cat8 cable is but even if it is 10p I wouldn't recommend buying anymore. I like having the latest stuff for novelty but there is such a thing as overkill.

Hom3r 07-07-2020 23:03

A few years ago I put in loads of CAT6 cables around the house as it was the latest at the time.

I would if relaying buy the latest version.

General Maximus 07-07-2020 23:14

Yup, cat6 has defo outlived its usefulness. We are past the need of 10gbits/sec and need 40 pronto. You must have one hell of a router with a stonking fiber internet connection.

Hugh 07-07-2020 23:37

You may have missed off the sarcasm emoji there, mon General...

SnoopZ 07-07-2020 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36042731)
You may have missed off the sarcasm emoji there, mon General...

Yes I was left scratching my head about this, I even googled cat 6 Vs cat 8 to make sure I read it right when General said he wouldn't buy anymore of it.

What I found out was cat 8 is faster but it is for alot shorter distance.

General Maximus 08-07-2020 00:13

Hands up if your router and all the devices on your lan can do 10gbits/sec. No? Well cat6 is more than sufficient and you defo dont need cat8.

alanbjames 08-07-2020 03:43

I didn't know Cat 8 existed until i read this post lol.

I thought Cat 7 was still the thing.

roughbeast 08-07-2020 06:57

This helps explain some of the differences between cable categories.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/learni...thernet-cables

Kushan 08-07-2020 12:41

If you're running cables between rooms/walls/etc. it does make sense to consider running a better grade of cable than you currently need. That said, CAT6 is sufficient for 10Gbit and most home networking equipment still lacks that. It'll be many years before we need anything beyond CAT6 in the home.

CAT8 is really only if you plan to run 25Gbps+ stuff and that's not going to be in the consumer space for many, many years. If the price difference was a few pence then maybe? But almost certainly not required.

If it's cables between devices today, then CAT8 is absolutely overkill and makes zero difference. The HUB won't negotiate anything higher than 1gbps. Even consumer stuff isn't really going beyond 2.5Gbps (or 5gbps if you're lucky, 10gbps if you're very lucky) and CAT6 is still fine for that.

In short: Anything above CAT6 won't net you any benefit today.

JMcB 09-07-2020 03:22

Thanks all,

For just a wee update the cat 8 cable going from Modem to new router wouldn't work. Cat6 worked fine as expected. Cat8 cable code a few pound but it made for a nice test.

I'm going to runs some speed tests with cat6 & 8 from router to laptop.

General Maximus 09-07-2020 09:42

Have fun wasting time

Uncle Peter 09-07-2020 14:13

CAT8 differs electrically to balanced UTP and requires shielded terminations to work properly.

The primary use as it stands is that it offers SMEs who wish to stand up small data centres or comms rooms a cheaper alternative to multimode fibre.

JMcB 10-07-2020 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36042924)
Have fun wasting time

Loving it

General Maximus 10-07-2020 10:57

Where are these blistering speed test results? I can't wait to see what 40tb/sec looks like