Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709192)

heavyside 02-07-2020 07:00

Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

I recently spoke with Customer Services about upgrading to the Ultimate Oomph bundle to be told that it was not available in my area of London (21). However, when I visited the Virgin Media web site and entered my postcode it said It was available. I then clicked on the 'Upgrade' button and got the error message, 'Oops, something went wrong' and that I could not upgrade online.

Does anyone know where can I get a definitive answer whether it is available or not?

nialli 02-07-2020 09:26

Re: Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

Best I can tell you is it WAS available in Area 21 (Greenwich) last year as I've got it myself. Presumably, come next month when my discount ends I will have to make my annual call to Retentions to ensure it doesn't leap from £99/m to £139/m.
During lockdown the unlimited SIM with Ultimate Oomph has been a lifesaver as the "500mb" broadband has been up and down more times than Norwich City FC

spiderplant 02-07-2020 10:53

CS should be giving you the definitive answer, but I suggest giving them one more try just in case.

heavyside 02-07-2020 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36041987)
CS should be giving you the definitive answer, but I suggest giving them one more try just in case.

This is hopeless. I did as you suggested but my patience exhausts itself after 20 minutes on hold to Customer Services. I tried the text link on offer but that directs me back to the Virgin Media web site where I eventually get the 'Oops, something went wrong' error message all over again when I try to upgrade. Frustrating.

Mythica 02-07-2020 13:58

It should be available everywhere shouldn't it? The only part that might not be available is the 500Mb as part of the package which they just roll it down to the next speed down I believe. Use the postcode checker to see what speed is available to you.

heavyside 02-07-2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36042013)
It should be available everywhere shouldn't it? The only part that might not be available is the 500Mb as part of the package which they just roll it down to the next speed down I believe. Use the postcode checker to see what speed is available to you.

This is exactly what I did, Mythica. According to the postcode checker on the web site, I can get 500Mb along with everything else but when I try and upgrade via the web site I get the dreaded 'Oops, something went wrong' error message (I've tried three different browsers with the same result). Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.

I can't upgrade online and I can't get anyone to answer from Customer Services - at least not within the span of human patience. I feel like I am stuck in some kind of infinite loop.

spiderplant 02-07-2020 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36042018)
Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.

The London area 21 network is a bit of a mish-mash. Just because it's available to Nialli doesn't mean it is everywhere.

heavyside 02-07-2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36042019)
The London area 21 network is a bit of a mish-mash. Just because it's available to Nialli doesn't mean it is everywhere.

Understood, Spiderplant, but according to the postcode checker on the web site, it is available. In fact, I already have everything in the bundle - except for the 500Mb broadband speed - but I am paying about £35 pm more for it if you include the mobile sim which is currently billed separately. Hence my eagerness to change to the Ultimate Oomp bundle.

Mythica 02-07-2020 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36042018)
This is exactly what I did, Mythica. According to the postcode checker on the web site, I can get 500Mb along with everything else but when I try and upgrade via the web site I get the dreaded 'Oops, something went wrong' error message (I've tried three different browsers with the same result). Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.

I can't upgrade online and I can't get anyone to answer from Customer Services - at least not within the span of human patience. I feel like I am stuck in some kind of infinite loop.

The upgrade online feature rarely works in my experience and I believe doesnt work if you've just upgraded part of your services but I could be wrong about that.

jfman 02-07-2020 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36042025)
The upgrade online feature rarely works in my experience and I believe doesnt work if you've just upgraded part of your services but I could be wrong about that.

Some retention deals cause this too.

heavyside 03-07-2020 07:08

It shouldn't be this difficult to do something as simple as upgrading a bundle even in such stressful times as these.

nialli 03-07-2020 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36042020)
Understood, Spiderplant, but according to the postcode checker on the web site, it is available. In fact, I already have everything in the bundle - except for the 500Mb broadband speed - but I am paying about £35 pm more for it if you include the mobile sim which is currently billed separately. Hence my eagerness to change to the Ultimate Oomp bundle.

I wouldn’t pin too many hopes on getting 500mb downloads in Area 21. As Spiderplant says, the area’s a mess. I live on one of the streets that doesn’t have over-populated street cabinets and my average is around the 150mb mark. I’ve never seen 500mb even when connected by Ethernet. The Virgin Mobile 4g coverage around here is good though (60mb plus) and more reliable of late than the broadband, so the unlimited SIM has proven invaluable in lockdown

heavyside 03-07-2020 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36042094)
I wouldn’t pin too many hopes on getting 500mb downloads in Area 21. As Spiderplant says, the area’s a mess. I live on one of the streets that doesn’t have over-populated street cabinets and my average is around the 150mb mark. I’ve never seen 500mb even when connected by Ethernet. The Virgin Mobile 4g coverage around here is good though (60mb plus) and more reliable of late than the broadband, so the unlimited SIM has proven invaluable in lockdown

My service is the other way round. I regularly get 380Mb plus download speeds from my 350Mb broadband. My 4G is lousy though when I am at home due to the nearest mast being faulty for the last few months. I wish Virgin Media would fix the web site so I could get an answer.

SnoopZ 03-07-2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36042094)

Why are you paying for 500mb if your average is only 150?

And my understanding is area 21 is all over the country, not just one place, I think I am area 21 and I live near Cambridge.

spiderplant 03-07-2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36042138)
And my understanding is area 21 is all over the country, not just one place, I think I am area 21 and I live near Cambridge.

Area 21 covers a fair bit of London (roughly a diagonal slice from Harrow to Greenwich), and all of Southampton. Cambridge is in area 31 (along with about a dozen other places in England).

It would be a lot less confusing if they didn't call them "areas".