Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   UK offers right to residency and path to citizenship to 3m Hong Kong citizens (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709188)

Damien 01-07-2020 12:46

UK offers right to residency and path to citizenship to 3m Hong Kong citizens

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/h...-a4485601.html

Quote:

Boris Johnson says the UK will open a pathway to British citizenship for around three million Hong Kong British National (Overseas) passport holders as a result of China's new security law.
:clap:

heero_yuy 01-07-2020 13:54

Re: UK offers right to residency and path to citizenship to 3m Hong Kong citizens

A fine guesture. Let's hope they don't all come over at once. :erm:

1andrew1 01-07-2020 19:22

Re: UK offers right to residency and path to citizenship to 3m Hong Kong citizens

The right decision.

I wonder how easy it would be for them to gain citizenship of Singapore? That country seems a potential beneficiary of corporate relocations from Hong Kong.

ianch99 02-07-2020 09:11

The irony of this is priceless :)

mrmistoffelees 02-07-2020 10:44

Excellent, that may help fill the potential fruit & vegetable picker shortfall

Taf 02-07-2020 10:44

Any move from HK to UK would still mean jumping through several immigration hoops over a few years. And incur costs to the immigrants I bet.

A (British) friend and his (HK) wife as keeping an eye on things over there, but it could go sour very quickly as China asserts itself. They have lived and worked there for several years now.

OLD BOY 02-07-2020 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36041967)
The irony of this is priceless :)

I assume you are comparing poor jobless Romanians with wealthy entrepreneurial Hong Kongers and can't see the difference.

Amin's Ugandans have benefited this country considerably and people from Hong Kong will be the same. We should be welcoming people with the wealth, skills and knowledge that will benefit this country and are not a threat to the jobs of the low paid.

Carth 02-07-2020 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36041986)
We should be welcoming people with the wealth, skills and knowledge that will benefit this country and are not a threat to the jobs of the low paid.

The problem there is that if there are no jobs for these highly skilled knowledgeable people, they might then become 'a threat to the jobs of the low paid' . . . or a further burden to the benefits sytem.

Having said that, I'm sure that when the Covid situation is over, and Brexit finally sorted, there will be an abundance of roles that need filling ;) :rolleyes:

Maggy 02-07-2020 12:13

Well when China drives Hong Kong into the ground and it's no longer viable as a free enterprise centre I'm pretty sure we can do with the entrepreneurs being on our side and working for us..

jfman 02-07-2020 12:15

Coming over here, stealing our jobs, etc.

Carth 02-07-2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36041995)
Coming over here, stealing our jobs, etc.

:rolleyes: grow up

Maggy 02-07-2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36041996)

Seconded!

downquark1 02-07-2020 12:29

Depending on the amount of wealth they able to ferret out of Hong Kong this could result in an economic boost, probably explaining why China is so pissed off.

Politically this could also be Boris importing "Tory voters", we'll have to see how many take up his offer.

jfman 02-07-2020 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36041996)

Not my view but it is the inevitable response in time.

Irish, Asians, Eastern Europeans. It’s a staple throughout British history. Whether they walk into well paid or low paid jobs is irrelevant really. It’s an employment opportunity lost to someone already here is the simplistic outlook that some will view it with.

Carth 02-07-2020 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36042001)
Not my view but it is the inevitable response in time.

Irish, Asians, Eastern Europeans. It’s a staple throughout British history. Whether they walk into well paid or low paid jobs is irrelevant really. It’s an employment opportunity lost to someone already here is the simplistic outlook that some will view it with.

aah right, I see how you meant it now.

Having said that, yes there will always be the unemployed (that want to work) viewing working immigrants with just a little annoyance ;)