Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Cable damage (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709159)

Maltloaf 24-06-2020 16:36

Cable damage

My father-in-law has virgin media, something that I am looking at getting myself. I noticed that his main incoming black signal cable that runs down along the site of his property at floor level has been damaged. The TV is still working fine but I suspect it's going to start causing issues when the whether gets worse. I have temporarily put installation tape over it. Does anyone know what the rules are will cable faults with virgin. Is it something that can be repaired DIY style? We could wait till it stops working but if we are going to fix it would rather do it whiles the weather is good.

OLD BOY 26-06-2020 15:22

Re: Cable damage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltloaf (Post 36041054)
My father-in-law has virgin media, something that I am looking at getting myself. I noticed that his main incoming black signal cable that runs down along the site of his property at floor level has been damaged. The TV is still working fine but I suspect it's going to start causing issues when the whether gets worse. I have temporarily put installation tape over it. Does anyone know what the rules are will cable faults with virgin. Is it something that can be repaired DIY style? We could wait till it stops working but if we are going to fix it would rather do it whiles the weather is good.

My neighbour accidentally sliced through his cable last summer. He reported it to Virgin and they were out the next day.

RichardCoulter 26-06-2020 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36041328)
My neighbour accidentally sliced through his cable last summer. He reported it to Virgin and they were out the next day.

Did they charge him?

OLD BOY 27-06-2020 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36041356)
Did they charge him?

I don't think they did, but I'll ask him next time I see him.

RichardCoulter 27-06-2020 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36041427)
I don't think they did, but I'll ask him next time I see him.

Apparently, if they did, you can claim it back on your buildings insurance.

ozsat 28-06-2020 14:26

After a possible excess and the fact you've made a claim - in the long run you may be worse off than just payiing up.

Raider999 28-06-2020 15:24

Contact Virgin, they own the equipment, it is down to them to maintain it.

RichardCoulter 28-06-2020 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36041541)
After a possible excess and the fact you've made a claim - in the long run you may be worse off than just payiing up.

Good point, it's not always worth claiming. Over the weekend I was searching for a better deal and they asked if I had made any claims in the past 5 years, so I wonder if you can escape this by changing companies or if the declaration of a claim (I have one and did declare it) pushes up the quote from the other insurance companies??

Carth 29-06-2020 09:06

I think they all 'speak' to each other in this digital age.

I remember ringing around for car insurance ages ago, 3 of the companies I spoke to could pull my (then) current details up with minimum information from me.

RichardCoulter 29-06-2020 11:28

I'm sure they can find out yes. By 'escape' I meant not be penalised for claiming because you hadn't actually claimed from the new company.

Raider999 29-06-2020 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36041609)
I'm sure they can find out yes. By 'escape' I meant not be penalised for claiming because you hadn't actually claimed from the new company.

If you change insurance companies, you will be asked if you have made a claim within the last 3-5 years. Failure to disclose this is likely to mean your insurance will be nullified when they find out.

OLD BOY 29-06-2020 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36041612)
If you change insurance companies, you will be asked if you have made a claim within the last 3-5 years. Failure to disclose this is likely to mean your insurance will be nullified when they find out.

I think Richard means that if you had a damaged cable, you could change to Sky, BT or Talk Talk to avoid making a claim in the first place.

pip08456 29-06-2020 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36041652)
I think Richard means that if you had a damaged cable, you could change to Sky, BT or Talk Talk to avoid making a claim in the first place.

I don't think so OB.

Mad Max 29-06-2020 19:10

Let's be fair here, if you damage a cable, albeit by accident, you should pay for it to be repaired.

SnoopZ 29-06-2020 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36041669)
Let's be fair here, if you damage a cable, albeit by accident, you should pay for it to be repaired.

True i guess.

Luckily when i cut through my cable VM came out and fixed it for free.