Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What is the difference between a Hybrid and an Electric Car (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711650)

Ken W 21-01-2023 16:36

What is the difference between a Hybrid and an Electric Car

What is the difference between a Hybrid and a Electric car

daveeb 21-01-2023 16:45

Re: What is the difference between a Hybrid and a Electric ar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36144075)

Hybrid uses an electric motor to assist the petrol engine. Mild hybrid type kicks in at low speed to assist the engine but you can't drive on just electric. Full hybrids (some charge when driving, others have to be plugged in like full electric) will drive around town at low speeds under electric power only then the petrol motor kicks in at higher revs. Electric is just that, runs on the power from an electric battery, no petrol engine involved. You probably need a dedicated charging point installing outside the house for these otherwise they'll take an age to charge from a conventional extension cable.

heero_yuy 21-01-2023 17:35

Re: What is the difference between a Hybrid and an Electric Car

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36144075)

An electric car has a much bigger battery and costs more. Given that the battery will have to be replaced after 8 to 10 years it's likely that the vehicle will be un-economic to repair and will be so much scrap. So much for the eco-credentials.

Dude111 21-01-2023 17:56

We have a Hybrid.... Has to be plugged to charge it.... It makes a wierd noise.... You can hear them coming for miles :D

Itshim 21-01-2023 18:05

Was told yesterday , by a guy that leases one (hybrid) and he wishes he never had , told waste of time of driving in local area , could never see the point myself , petrol if you do low mileage, listen to pod cast sliced bread , advises in tests you need do something like 38,000 miles to cover of buying one over petroleum, taking all running costs into account, and to cover co2 etc need to run it for 8 years. Check it of yourself

mrmistoffelees 21-01-2023 23:44

Love my electric car, wife just got her new electric one today

Can’t imagine going back to ICE for a car now.

Still not ready to swap to an electric motorbike just yet though

Itshim 22-01-2023 15:05

Have say not sure that EVs are really worth the trouble yet. A friend and I both have recently had to go to Southampton him from Swansea and me from Cardiff allowing for the fact that Cardiff is 40 minutes or so closer, lt still took him 1hour45min longer to get there and over 2 hrs longer to get home. Problem was charging , my gas guzzler took 10 mins or so to top up he took been 1and 1/2 hours and 2 hrs. Guess it's great if you love service station's

idi banashapan 22-01-2023 15:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZYRFZUbn0

Worth watching if you're thinking about switching. Of course, I guess the miles and type of roads you are on make a difference, but cruising on Motorways should be the easiest on the power source drain as it's steady

Hugh 22-01-2023 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144152)
Have say not sure that EVs are really worth the trouble yet. A friend and I both have recently had to go to Southampton him from Swansea and me from Cardiff allowing for the fact that Cardiff is 40 minutes or so closer, lt still took him 1hour45min longer to get there and over 2 hrs longer to get home. Problem was charging , my gas guzzler took 10 mins or so to top up he took been 1and 1/2 hours and 2 hrs. Guess it's great if you love service station's

Wasn't he fully charged when he set off from Swansea?

It’s only 155 miles by road from Swansea to Southampton - I’m surprised he had to charge on that leg…

What is he driving?

Itshim 22-01-2023 17:34

Would have thought so , nissan leaf

Hugh 22-01-2023 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144165)
Would have thought so , nissan leaf

That explains it - it's only got a 149 mile range on that model.

mrmistoffelees 22-01-2023 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36144155)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZYRFZUbn0

Worth watching if you're thinking about switching. Of course, I guess the miles and type of roads you are on make a difference, but cruising on Motorways should be the easiest on the power source drain as it's steady

You would think so but it’s actually the opposite, there’s very little regenerative braking done on a motorway, driving round town overall pushes charge back into the battery.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36144171)
That explains it - it's only got a 149 mile range on that model.

knock about 20% off that if it’s the claimed range

And iirc the leaf only has a 3.6kw onboard charger

Paul 23-01-2023 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36144126)
Can’t imagine going back to ICE for a car now.

ICE ?

Hugh 23-01-2023 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36144199)
ICE ?

Internal Combustion Engine.

Ken W 23-01-2023 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36144083)
An electric car has a much bigger battery and costs more. Given that the battery will have to be replaced after 8 to 10 years it's likely that the vehicle will be un-economic to repair and will be so much scrap. So much for the eco-credentials.

So for me, a hybrid is best as I only do short local trips and a max of 2500 per year.