Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Stoopid(!) Question but... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33603925)

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 21:09

Stoopid(!) Question but...

How can I tell if my router is working correctly? I've got a Linksys WRT54G wireless broadband router. The thing is when I connect my xbox360 (use the official wireless adapter) after 20 mins or less my broadband connection goes off for the xbox360 and the PC. The Cable Modem isn't showing any problems, the ready light and sync light are static, so I'm guessing that my router might be the problem but how can I test this? Had this problem for nearly a week now and its driving me insane. NTL customer support havn't been the best of help after a couple of phone calls eg "switch everything off then back on again". Please help:(

zing_deleted 22-11-2006 21:12

Re: Stoopid(!) Question but...

are both connecting wirelessly? if so is there another active network? could change broadcast channels. how hot does the router run?

DocDutch 22-11-2006 21:18

easy way of testing.

on your pc open up a dos prompt (start --> run --> Type in "cmd") then in dos do a ping 192.168.*.* -t -w 10 (* is for the linksys router dont know those by head) the -t -w 10 bit is so that the ping goes continually until you stop it, this is I think 1 of the best ways to test a router if its working correctly.

if say after a while you have massive packet loss then there is something wrong with the router, so another test then is to do the same ping whilst being connected hard-wired.

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34164568)
are both connecting wirelessly? if so is there another active network? could change broadcast channels. how hot does the router run?

There's no other active network available only my own. The PC is wired to the router. The xbox360 connects by wireless only as does the lap top. As for changing broadcast channels, not tried that yet but I have tonight, through desparation, reset the router to see if that would help and it didn't.

DocDutch 22-11-2006 21:23

sounds like the router is having issues then as you said your pc is wired to it and doesnt get an internet connection.

Does it get a IP address at all the pc or not even that?

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34164577)
easy way of testing.

on your pc open up a dos prompt (start --> run --> Type in "cmd") then in dos do a ping 192.168.*.* -t -w 10 (* is for the linksys router dont know those by head) the -t -w 10 bit is so that the ping goes continually until you stop it, this is I think 1 of the best ways to test a router if its working correctly.

if say after a while you have massive packet loss then there is something wrong with the router, so another test then is to do the same ping whilst being connected hard-wired.

Tried putting in the router address (which I use to view the router settings) and can't get it to run message reads 'is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file'

DocDutch 22-11-2006 21:33

what you typed in ... cmd ??? with out the " " I hope. otherwise its command.exe that you should use otherwise

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34164583)
sounds like the router is having issues then as you said your pc is wired to it and doesnt get an internet connection.

Does it get a IP address at all the pc or not even that?

Sorry but I don't understand your question ?:dunce:

DocDutch 22-11-2006 21:36

how you typed in the CMD as in "CMD" like what I put in my 1st post or cmd without any " "'s in it.

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34164599)
what you typed in ... cmd ??? with out the " " I hope. otherwise its command.exe that you should use otherwise

No, didn't use "" went to start > run typed in cmd which pulled up the dos prompt and typed as follows 192.168.1.1-t-w 10

DocDutch 22-11-2006 21:43

noooo type in or just copy this down:

ping 192.168.1.1 -t -w 10

then it will work.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

also let this test run at the same time that you play on the 360 ;) see when it stops.

NEONKNIGHT 22-11-2006 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34164615)
noooo type in or just copy this down:

ping 192.168.1.1 -t -w 10

then it will work.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

also let this test run at the same time that you play on the 360 ;) see when it stops.

Ok did as you said, the xbox360 connection failed with DNS error, the PC and lap top couldn't connect to the internet but the pinging carried on! Ran the diagnostic help on Xp and it suggested either a Gateway or DNS problem. Does this shed any light on the problem I'm having?

EDIT Had to switch off the PC and modem and switch back on again to get the broadband to work.

DocDutch 23-11-2006 07:12

sounds like the wan port on the router has a hissyfit. might be worth checking for new firmware or otherwise replacing.

NEONKNIGHT 23-11-2006 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34164819)
sounds like the wan port on the router has a hissyfit. might be worth checking for new firmware or otherwise replacing.

Ok, thanks for your help. ;) Think its a new router I'll have to go for. Just hope that this will cure the problem.

NEONKNIGHT 23-11-2006 12:26

Seems I'm not alone with this problem:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...58&postcount=6

Quote:

I've been searching for a thread on a site like this for a few days now. Sounds like I'm having exactly the same problem as you guys - I can use my laptop for days, weeks, months without problem, but I turn on the 360 and start chatting/downloading and it's a 50/50 chance that my connection will drop.

Unplugging and re-plugging the cable modem power "fixes" the problem.

Through a bit of trial and error (and fruitless calls to NTL support) I've come up with this sequence of events:

1. Start CM. Lights settle and everything's fine.
2. Start wireless router. It connects and gets a good (82.) WAN IP address.
3. Start laptop (XP). It connects with a hardcoded 192.168 address to the router, and the internet is browseable.
4. Start Xbox. It connects with a hardcoded 192.168 address to the router, and connects to Xbox Live!
5. Do enough stuff with the Xbox to make Live! disconnect.
6. Try laptop. No connection to the internet (DNS requests are not answered)
7. http to the cable modem IP. No response.
8. http to the router. This works fine and shows the same WAN IP as before.
9. Renew DHCP from the router to the cable modem. After a short delay...
10. Router's WAN IP is now "0.0.0.0" and has no default gateway and no DNS servers.
Too much of a coincidence I think.