Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : Dynamic EPG (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688301)

japitts 16-06-2012 11:41

Dynamic EPG

I know, historically, VM has not supported a dynamic EPG..

Just after 10pm last night, we were watching BBC News channel on 601, scrolled on the miniguide and set BBC1 "News at Ten" to record, and our local news at 10.25pm.

Noticed a few minutes later that the record light had not come on, so checked the guide and planned recordings. The listings had been updated, and "the ten" was now showing as starting at 10.10pm and finishing at 10.35pm, local news 10.35pm-10.45pm, all the subsequent programs also pushed back by 10minutes. The planned recordings all reflected the late running, and recorded accordingly.

Have VM introduced dynamic EPG?

jtaylor06 16-06-2012 23:31

Re: Dynamic EPG

I've noticed similar.
The recordings I plan in most cases start from the channel's on screen EPG followed by the sponsorship ad then program.

Rillington 17-06-2012 10:52

I'd suggest that people wait until the second week of Wimbledon before confirming whether VM has finally introduced a dynamic EPG, and if so it will be interesting to see if it has been made available to all customers rather than just to those who pay for Tivo.

japitts 23-06-2012 22:02

Probably related to this, I have noticed the occasional random gap in the V+ 7day listings, where the schedule will show "no programme information".

A current example is Tuesday 26th on Ch142 & 143, after 10pm. I actually want to set a series link that should be in this hole, so am waiting for this particular gap to be filled :-)

VirginMediaPhil 25-06-2012 15:14

Well, it didn't work on Family Guy last night.

alwaysabear 25-06-2012 15:33

The Epg was out after the football last night, so it is safe to assume that the EPG is still not dynamic.

denphone 25-06-2012 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35446103)
The Epg was out after the football last night, so it is safe to assume that the EPG is still not dynamic.

Absolutely correct but l am sure it will arrive in good time.:)

MalteseFalcon 25-06-2012 16:51

Probably only on Tivo boxes though, V+HD boxes seem to be losing services all over the place and Tivo getting them all. Makes me more stubborn to not change over, I'm afraid. I like being the last person to switch to things.

passingbat 25-06-2012 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35446108)

Providing we have the option to turn it on or off, I don't mind. Not being able to turn it off, as I seem recall it was reported that a mod on the VM Tivo forum had said, could lead to potential recording dissasters.

japitts 25-06-2012 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35446108)

Well, maybe it's being trialled. It didn't work last night admittedly... but it certainly worked the week before. I guess Wimbledon fortnight will be a test.

Stating the obvious too, I guess it takes two to tango. Broadcaster to supply the data, and VM to implement it in real-time.

Tim Deegan 25-06-2012 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35446144)
Probably only on Tivo boxes though, V+HD boxes seem to be losing services all over the place and Tivo getting them all. Makes me more stubborn to not change over, I'm afraid. I like being the last person to switch to things.

Eventually VM will probably want to get rid of V+HD completely. And you will probably be able to get the Tivo without paying any extra.

Just say to VM that you would rather keep your box, and they should give you the Tivo free as a sweetner. But the Tivo is far better anyway.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Maybe a member of VM staff could tell us what is happening.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35446172)
Well, maybe it's being trialled. It didn't work last night admittedly... but it certainly worked the week before. I guess Wimbledon fortnight will be a test.

Stating the obvious too, I guess it takes two to tango. Broadcaster to supply the data, and VM to implement it in real-time.

Haven't the broadcasters been supplying the data for years? Remember Video Plus?

wwe 25-06-2012 17:55

I set my v+ up to recorded my program's and half the time it misses the start so I extended my rec to 10 mins to start rec and it never does starts dead on the time it's ment 2 start

MalteseFalcon 25-06-2012 19:30

I agree, the Tivo does sound better than V+, but I am one of those who has to be slowly converted to things. Don't like change to routine, and things I am used to.

But I will probably wait until nearer my birthday and call to see if they can do me a deal for my birthday.

japitts 16-12-2012 23:09

Sorry to bump an old thread..

Tonight I had BBC News 22:05-22:20 & regional news immediately after - set to record. It soon became apparent that SPOTY was running seriously late, and just after 22:05 the EPG hadn't changed, so set the 22:30 MOTD to record just to catch that timeslot.

I noticed just before half past, that the EPG had updated with late-running times and the revised versions of network and regional news both showing set to record, but the *original* timings showing as planned/actual recordings.

The weird bit.. I cancelled MOTD2 recording a few minutes after it had started, but a long time before the revised timing was due to start. V+ didn't put this into the recordings list as "actual recording" as it had done with the other two.

So V+ definitely has dynamic EPG, but recording wasn't totally seamless. And I've got a 10minute recording that's black-holed somewhere.

nstokes 17-12-2012 10:01

I dont see a Dynamic EPG coming to Vm anytime soon