Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

BBKing 28-09-2004 19:37

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

they then told me that I was going to upgraded to 1.5 meg on the 28th September (today!)
[out of retirement]

I've no idea where on earth this came from but it's stone wrong - the dates are in October, exact dates subject to confirmation.

[back into retirement until the big switch is flicked]

IanUK 28-09-2004 20:56

Typical, get me all excited....

Flubflow 30-09-2004 13:33

Still no 750k upgrade for me in Teesside. :(
It's particularly annoying because a few months ago my BB charges went up from 19.99 to 24.99 (I used to get the cable modem owners discount) so the extra speed would be some sort of compensation.
:bigcry:

macc 30-09-2004 18:37

flubflow why did they raize your charges did you have to get a new modem

nefu 01-10-2004 07:58

I am in swindon (SN5) with a SACM and still at 600K, anybody else 'round here been upgraded?

PC_Arcade 01-10-2004 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTL postcode Checker
Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of September.

:rolleyes: and today is the 1st of October and STILL no sign of the upgrade

nefu 01-10-2004 12:38

Just spoke to a very helpful guy (Hadrian - thank you!) in TS who took my modem off the system and put it back on again to force a config update and now I have 750K - hurray.

He also told me that all SACM users should be upgraded by now so if you're not try calling TS.

Elysium 01-10-2004 15:11

Still no speed-upgrade here (Worsley / Manchester ) .. Have had the Samsung for two weeks or so now and presumed 1st Oct would result in the 1.5 upgrade.. When is it going to happen .. sheesh ..

Flubflow 01-10-2004 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc
flubflow why did they raize your charges did you have to get a new modem

No I still have the same Motorola surfboard SB4100 modem and the network card I bought through them years ago when they had that option.
They suddenly decided, presumably for reasons of greed, that the people who own their own cable modem no longer deserve the £5 discount. I had not made any changes to my service. They just decided that they need the £5 more than I do.

I complained, asked for my discount back, and got this unhelpful reply.....

"Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that as per the communication back in May NTL have withdrawn
the discount for owned modems. NTL service and maintain all modems wether
owned or rented and as such will now be charged the same.

Please accept my apologies if the information was not received, and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

Should you require any further information regarding your account or wish to
discuss this further, please contact us on customersupport.teesside or call
our Customer Management Centre on 0800 052 2000 from your ntl telephone.

Yours Sincerely

CMC Administration and Support (ntl C.O.B.I)"

So, I asked them that if that was the case and I was now paying the same as everyone else then, like everyone else, I demand that I have a brand spanking new cable modem and I'll sell mine (not that there would be much market for it).
I got no reply so, to cost them some money and save me some, I called them to stop some telephone line featues.
I think they suck and if after I get no further when I eventually manage to get to someone higher up in NTL then the cable TV is going next year too.
I might send them a monthly bill for the "hire of my cable modem".

EDIT: Still no 750k speed upgrade yet either. :mad:

Chris W 01-10-2004 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by flubflow
<snip>

I understand where you are coming from, hence: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/19/wh...rge-of-ntlhome

however just to play devil's advocate... if something goes wrong with your cable modem would you be prepared to pay ntl £50 to send an engineer out to replace it? (which would result in you having an ntl rented modem anyway because you won't be able to provision any other modems on the ntl network and therefore not being justified in paying less than everyone else anyway)

scrotnig 01-10-2004 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysium
Still no speed-upgrade here (Worsley / Manchester ) .. Have had the Samsung for two weeks or so now and presumed 1st Oct would result in the 1.5 upgrade.. When is it going to happen .. sheesh ..

BBKing posted about this elsewhere...set top box upgrades are still not done yet as there is still stuff to be done.

macc 01-10-2004 18:07

flubflow they tried the same thing with me about a year ago and i protested i told them that i had bought the modem through them and that they could not bill me twice for the same modem and as my modem that i bought through them still works ok i have no reqiurment for them to change it.

SMHarman 01-10-2004 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flubflow
No I still have the same Motorola surfboard SB4100 modem and the network card I bought through them years ago when they had that option.
They suddenly decided, presumably for reasons of greed, that the people who own their own cable modem no longer deserve the £5 discount. I had not made any changes to my service. They just decided that they need the £5 more than I do.

I complained, asked for my discount back, and got this unhelpful reply.....

"Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that as per the communication back in May NTL have withdrawn
the discount for owned modems. NTL service and maintain all modems wether
owned or rented and as such will now be charged the same.

Please accept my apologies if the information was not received, and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

Should you require any further information regarding your account or wish to
discuss this further, please contact us on customersupport.teesside or call
our Customer Management Centre on 0800 052 2000 from your ntl telephone.

Yours Sincerely

CMC Administration and Support (ntl C.O.B.I)"

So, I asked them that if that was the case and I was now paying the same as everyone else then, like everyone else, I demand that I have a brand spanking new cable modem and I'll sell mine (not that there would be much market for it).
I got no reply so, to cost them some money and save me some, I called them to stop some telephone line featues.
I think they suck and if after I get no further when I eventually manage to get to someone higher up in NTL then the cable TV is going next year too.
I might send them a monthly bill for the "hire of my cable modem".

EDIT: Still no 750k speed upgrade yet either. :mad:

Phone up CS and politely remind them that they are offering new customers free telco line rental for the next year and as a goodwill gesture they could do well to do the same to you as they have stopped the owned modem discount, maybe, just maybe, you might find yourself better off.

Flubflow 02-10-2004 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman
Phone up CS and politely remind them that they are offering new customers free telco line rental for the next year and as a goodwill gesture they could do well to do the same to you as they have stopped the owned modem discount, maybe, just maybe, you might find yourself better off.

Yeah, I kinda feel like I'm paying for all these free deals that they are now offering to new customers.

Wilty 02-10-2004 22:03

Hi... Looks like I'm late to these discussions, but anyone in Brighton experienced any upgrade in their speed yet?

Here's what I got from the speed test just now:

Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:45:01 UTC
1st 128K took 1061 ms = 123536 Bytes/sec = approx 1028 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1042 ms = 125789 Bytes/sec = approx 1047 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1082 ms = 121139 Bytes/sec = approx 1008 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1061 ms = 123536 Bytes/sec = approx 1028 kbits/sec

Looks like I'm still on the 1Mb :(

Then again, I'm still a bit hacked off in general - we're not even close to MMB (Multi-Mega Bit) yet. Anyone checked out the speeds in Sweden? Telia - 8Mb :disturbd: , Bostream 26Mb (for about £30/month!) :Yikes: and Bredbandsbolaget doing 100Mb (for around £38/month!!!) :bigcry: . Got links if anyone's interested...

Cheers,

Wilty