Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

sandy 08-11-2004 01:09

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Hi i live in cambridshire im on 1mbit ntl and i havnt been upgraded yet. .

does anybody know when this area will be upgraded or what?

Any information would be cool thanks!

Tezcatlipoca 08-11-2004 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy
Hi i live in cambridshire im on 1mbit ntl and i havnt been upgraded yet. .

does anybody know when this area will be upgraded or what?

Any information would be cool thanks!

:welcome:

Whereabouts in Cambs do you live?

I'm in Cambridge itself, connect using a standalone cable modem, & got my upgrade back in late August (I think) - despite the postcode checker saying it wouldn't be done until November.

You might need to ring tech support & get them to do it for you if it's due but hasn't gone through automatically - 0845 650 0121 [or, one of the ntl people here may be able to help]

browneggsandham 11-11-2004 17:16

Just a quick thought about the newly announced speed upgrades - I take it this means all broadband customers will have to be given on of the new Samsung boxes, 'like all the 1.5meg customers did?

Cheers,
Browneggsandham :)

Graham F 11-11-2004 17:25

Depends if they use boxes for BB or not i would of thought :)

madcap 11-11-2004 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by browneggsandham
Just a quick thought about the newly announced speed upgrades - I take it this means all broadband customers will have to be given on of the new Samsung boxes, 'like all the 1.5meg customers did?

Cheers,

Only if your going to want 2 or 3Mb for 1Mb the old pace boxes are ok.

browneggsandham 11-11-2004 22:00

Yeah sorry, I did just mean the higher speeds - forgot about the 1meg. Sounds like a good deal to me - they're meant to be quite a bit better from what I've heard. Also forgot that Langley only currently use SAC modems, although I'm sure the Samsungs are meant to be launched there soon aswell.

Stouffer 21-11-2004 20:28

I'm currently in the LE6 area, on a 1mb line, and still haven't recieved the upgrade yet :( Any ideas? They said September, then october, but haven't heard of any change yet.

My average speed using spped tests is about 1mb still (dropping to 750k often, and peaking at 1.2mb) but even when downloading form a very good HTML source, my peak is 121k, same as it's been for 2 years now.

Paul 22-11-2004 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stouffer
I'm currently in the LE6 area, on a 1mb line, and still haven't recieved the upgrade yet :( Any ideas? They said September, then october, but haven't heard of any change yet.

My average speed using spped tests is about 1mb still (dropping to 750k often, and peaking at 1.2mb) but even when downloading form a very good HTML source, my peak is 121k, same as it's been for 2 years now.

There are a number of technical reasons why Leicester has not been upgraded yet (apart from a few in error ;)) - our ntl sources tell us that they hope to have them sorted in the next couple of months.

Chrysalis 22-11-2004 15:29

on Leicester.

Stouffer I feel sorry for you, personally I dont think its right that some customers wait for what could be 6 months after other customer's for upgrades, and I am also in Leicester and now on 1.5mbit, but the performance is abysmal at the moment with fluctuating pings and transfer speeds, I think the Leicester part of ntl's infrastructure is in need of a rehaul we have been stuck on analogue tv and poorer internet performance then other national ntl customers for a while now.

On upload speed increase

I think ntl were planning on not increasing upload speed but didnt confirm this in case the market reacted since their initial announcement and now telewest have announced increased upload speeds and this new LLU ADSL residental isp from easynet I think ntl will raise upload speed's to keep with the pace, wether or not only the top tier gets the increase will remain to be seen but I would be surprised if we dont see 384kbit now.

orangebird 22-11-2004 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis
on Leicester.

Stouffer I feel sorry for you, personally I dont think its right that some customers wait for what could be 6 months after other customer's for upgrades, and I am also in Leicester and now on 1.5mbit, but the performance is abysmal at the moment with fluctuating pings and transfer speeds, I think the Leicester part of ntl's infrastructure is in need of a rehaul we have been stuck on analogue tv and poorer internet performance then other national ntl customers for a while now.

<snip>.

So what do you suggest ntl do - downgrade everyone again til Leics. is sorted? :shrug:

Neil 22-11-2004 15:48

Quote:

I think ntl will raise upload speed's to keep with the pace.
I don't. :)

Graham F 22-11-2004 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
Quote:

I think ntl will raise upload speed's to keep with the pace.
I don't. :)

care to share your thougts as to why Neil?

Mick 22-11-2004 16:31

Who knows what ntl might do - ntl told me they are thinking of keeping the upload speeds as they are but as I have previously said this is probably an indication that they are still thinking about it.

jtwn 22-11-2004 17:53

Somebody needs to remind ntl of telewests upload increase, hopefully ntl will follow in suit.

ian@huth 22-11-2004 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Somebody needs to remind ntl of telewests upload increase, hopefully ntl will follow in suit.

Why?

The vast majority of NTL BB customers don't need any increase in upload speed.