Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : VM are working on letting us keep our recordings + other titbits. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705659)

RichardCoulter 09-11-2017 14:05

VM are working on letting us keep our recordings + other titbits.

According to a VM technical guy, VM are working on the possibility of allowing us to transfer our recordings across after a box swap. The stumbling block seems to be copyright etc as opposed to technical ability.

I think that this would be a USP for VM and be warmly welcomed by customers.

Also, the telephone service is to scrap the copper wires and eventually go onto VOIP and as we speak they are already working on a new STB.

Edit: Just realised that the new box (or should I say software) is being discussed here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33705585

Taf 09-11-2017 14:14

Re: VM are working on letting us keep our recordings + other titbits.

I feel that all recordings will end up "on the cloud" at some point, with no local storage.

VOIP will mean a change of our home phone hardware I suppose, but what happens when the system or power is down and you need to make an emergency call?

nodrogd 09-11-2017 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35924068)
Also, the telephone service is to scrap the copper wires and eventually go onto VOIP and as we speak they are already working on a new STB.

That will be an absolute pain for all those people with hubs on the top floor of their houses & their phones downstairs.

RichardCoulter 09-11-2017 14:25

I honestly don't know how it works, so i've asked some questions here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...9#post35924069

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35924070)
I feel that all recordings will end up "on the cloud" at some point, with no local storage.

VOIP will mean a change of our home phone hardware I suppose, but what happens when the system or power is down and you need to make an emergency call?

ISTR that a cable company tried this a few years ago (in America I think) and had to stop doing it, again, for legal reasons to do with copyright etc

Mr K 09-11-2017 14:29

Quote:

According to a VM technical guy, VM are working on the possibility of allowing us to transfer our recordings across after a box swap. The stumbling block seems to be copyright etc as opposed to technical ability.

I think that this would be a USP for VM and be warmly welcomed by customers.

Edit: Just realised that the new box (or should I say software) is being discussed here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33705585

Dangerous idea for phones. If your broadband or power is down, no phone with VOIP. No good in an emergency !
Atm you can still have your line even if both power/broadband are down , assuming you have a corded phone.

As for tv, with good old tivo, programmes can archived off via scart if you have a dvd/hd recorder, sod copyright ;)

spiderplant 09-11-2017 16:34

Quote:

For STBs with hard drives, it's neither technically nor legally possible.

Ignoring the legal aspects, think about the technicalities...
1) It would take many hours to copy 1TB of data. The technician isn't going to wait around for that to happen.
2) There is no sensible way to connect a second hard drive to a STB to do the copy. So you'd need a special disc copying machine to do it.
3) By far the most common hardware fault in STBs is hard drive failure, so in most cases you wouldn't be able to read the data from the old box in the first place.

On the other hand, if network PVR is ever permitted, your recordings would be held completely separate from the STB, so it's entirely plausible that they'd be maintained over a box swap. And in not having a HDD, the box would be far less likely to fail in the first place.

Raider999 09-11-2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35924112)

1) It would take many hours to copy 1TB of data. The technician isn't going to wait around for that to happen.
2) There is no sensible way to connect a second hard drive to a STB to do the copy. So you'd need a special disc copying machine to do it.
3) By far the most common hardware fault in STBs is hard drive failure, so in most cases you wouldn't be able to read the data from the old box in the first place.

On the other hand, if network PVR is ever permitted, your recordings would be held completely separate from the STB, so it's entirely plausible that they'd be maintained over a box swap. And in not having a HDD, the box would be far less likely to fail in the first place.

It doesn't take m'many hours' to copy 1Tb of data - I have done it with upgraded Sky+ boxes using 3rd part software written for the purpose.

What is wrong with connecting via USB port to a USB drive, would only need port to be enabled and software to download it.

In fact the best situation would be to have an external Bix with multiple drives, and an option to copy recordings from STB drive to external drive for storage, retrieving them to STB box when viewing required. (A bit like delete/undelete). The copy to the external drive could be queued up to work overnight.

OLD BOY 30-11-2017 13:19

Quote:

I was hoping that we would be able to 'record' to the cloud sooner rather than later, and that this fact explained why the V6s were only available at a maximum of 1 TB.

It appears that this ruliing, while correct, may upset the applecart somewhat.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017/...loud-dvr-case/

Maybe Sky and Virgin Media will commission future programmes on the basis that they will be available to their subscribers via the cloud for 18 months. That would do it!

Paul 30-11-2017 13:52

Quote:

but what happens when the system or power is down and you need to make an emergency call?

Use your mobile .. :)

Taf 30-11-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35926949)
Use your mobile .. :)

What mobile :confused:

Paul 30-11-2017 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35926958)
What mobile :confused:

Funny.

If you really are one of the 5% who doesnt have one, then I suggest you get out of the dark ages.

RichardCoulter 30-11-2017 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35924112)

Ahh right, well you know more about this than I do.

It would still be useful for those who will lose a particular STB for reasons other than a hard drive failure eg upgrading from a TiVo box to a V6.

spiderplant 30-11-2017 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35926980)
It would still be useful for those who will lose a particular STB for reasons other than a hard drive failure eg upgrading from a TiVo box to a V6.

There's an easy solution to that one. Keep your TiVo and use multi-room streaming.

Taf 30-11-2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35926963)
Funny.

If you really are one of the 5% who doesnt have one, then I suggest you get out of the dark ages.

I will gladly accept any donations for one... and money to cover costs of course. ;)

Paul 30-11-2017 19:20

If you can afford TV and Internet, you can afford a mobile phone.

In fact, it would be cheaper to get rid of the landline completely, and get a mobile.