Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Fox wants to sell TV entertainment and film division to Disney? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705643)

1andrew1 06-11-2017 23:10

Fox wants to sell TV entertainment and film division to Disney?

Not sure about the implications of this on VM.
Quote:

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., leaving behind a media company tightly focused on news and sports, according to people familiar with the situation.
The talks have taken place over the last few weeks and there is no certainty they will lead to a deal. The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, but given the on again, off again nature of the talks, they could be revisited.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/finan...ney/ar-AAutOrA

muppetman11 06-11-2017 23:44

Re: Fox wants to sell TV entertainment and film division to Disney?

So Disney would own Sky.

RichardCoulter 06-11-2017 23:55

Fox have a 39% stake in Sky, so if Disney currently own 12% or more and this deal goes ahead then Disney would have a controlling stake, so yes.

Incidentally, just to complicate matters, Fox has made a bid for any shares in Sky that it doesn't already own.

muppetman11 06-11-2017 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923551)
Do Disney have an existing stake in Sky?

Fox have a 39% stake, so if Disney currently own 12% or more and this deal goes ahead then Disney would have a controlling stake, so yes.

Disney don't own any of Sky however 21st Century Fox have a 39% stake and are currently trying to buy the rest. The FT mention Sky as being part of the deal discussed with Disney.

It does say talks aren't on going so nothing may materialise.

1andrew1 07-11-2017 01:06

Original story here: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st...y-sources.html

FT adds: [quote]
Quote:

Walt Disney has held talks with Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox about buying most of the company, including its stake in UK-based Sky, people briefed on the talks said, in a potentially controversial deal that would reshape the media landscape.
The very preliminary talks, which were first reported by CNBC, were no longer active, according to one person who was involved in the negotiations, and did not preclude Fox from being approached by another media company.
Another person said that Fox was effectively putting itself up for sale and that the likes of Verizon, the US telecom group, Charter Communications, the US cable company, and internet giant Amazon could be looking at buying all or part of its assets.
https://www.ft.com/content/03f7c04a-...b-322b2cb39656

If Fox just focused on news and sport, I could see it merging with News Corp (The Times, The Sun, Talk Sport) and maybe acquiring Sky Sports too. Would Disney sell its stake in Sky to someone like Vodafone? And then Vodafone its German cable assets to LGI?

denphone 07-11-2017 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35923549)
So Disney would own Sky.

Interesting to say the least.

muppetman11 10-11-2017 11:45

If I'm honest after reading into this more I honestly don't understand the logic behind it , call me a cynic but could this be a story put out there by the Murdoch's.

alwaysabear 10-11-2017 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35924251)
If I'm honest after reading into this more I honestly don't understand the logic behind it , call me a cynic but could this be a story put out there by the Murdoch's.

I agree Murdoch's not happy with referral of his bid for the rest of Sky. I suspect all sorts of things will be coming out in the press.

1andrew1 03-12-2017 22:39

Quote:

Fox revives talks on $50bn asset sale to Disney
Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox has restarted talks with Walt Disney over the sale of its entertainment and international assets — including its 39 per cent stake in the pan-European broadcaster Sky — in a potential deal that could reshape the global media map.
The discussions between the two sides ended last month but have begun again, according to multiple people with knowledge of the talks. The negotiations have centred on Fox’s movie studio, cable channels, such as FX, and international businesses, such as Star of India and Sky.
https://www.ft.com/content/dfee4a40-...9-c64b1c09b482

Horizon 04-12-2017 21:09

We don't know whether Murdoch really wants to sell up, or whether this is a backdoor way to expand his empire further by getting into bed with the House of Mouse.

Tigers and mice don't mix very well...

vincerooney 04-12-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35927466)
We don't know whether Murdoch really wants to sell up, or whether this is a backdoor way to expand his empire further by getting into bed with the House of Mouse.

Tigers and mice don't mix very well...

Very true!

I thought Murdoch wanted to buy the rest of SKY? But now he wants to sell it?

Horizon 04-12-2017 23:12

It's very mixed signals he's giving out, isn't it?

I don't know for sure, but I think his takeover of Sky will be blocked and of course when we talk about Sky now, it's not just a UK company anymore, but pan-European. If he can't control that, perhaps he thinks its time to throw in the towel.

There are other things as well, inheritance being foremast on his mind. He's old and has two sons, the daughter is out of the running. Before all the current fiasco, James was favourite to take over the overall reigns, but now it seems Lachlan is top dog.

Other things too like News Corp's largest shareholder after the Murdoch's, a Saudi prince, has sold his entire shareholding. Perhaps he knows something the rest of us don't. Also lots of things going on with American newspapers changing hands and Murdoch must be dying to get in on that "action."

But the main reason that Murdoch cites for selling most of his company is one of scale, of course what he really means is domination. Fox is very big today even in the new Netflix/Amazon/Apple world, but where as Murdoch used to be the big fish in the small pond, he now finds himself still a big fish, but in a lake.

Media pundits suggest the AT&T/Time Warner merger will go ahead. Comcast already gobbled up NBC Universal. So the consolidation of Hollywood with telcos and other content companies is showing no signs of abating. Don't forget John Malone is at the centre of this too.

No doubt the current 6 major Hollywood companies will soon be 3 and Apple will be in a position to buy whatever the hell it wants and throw as much cash as it wants to create the next Game of Thrones or Star Wars like franchise. Murdoch knows this and doesn't wish to be outgunned in what was a little pond he once dominated.

theone2k10 05-12-2017 01:19

Even Apple has limited funds.

muppetman11 05-12-2017 18:57

CNBC are reporting Disney and Fox are closing in on a deal which could be announced as early as next week.

theone2k10 05-12-2017 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35927590)
CNBC are reporting Disney and Fox are closing in on a deal which could be announced as early as next week.

Very interesting times ahead.