Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Are v6 unsafe ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709090)

Itshim 03-06-2020 18:33

Are v6 unsafe ?

YThis morning my v6 while working normally and with no one else in the house . froze and then said you have not subscribed too this channel it was CNN so tried bbc same message. Rebooted it started up again couple of minutes later it did it again so looked at ]code lose cable no they are not .but box was very very warm
Hot even turned off.hour later a cooler it works fine. Could it be fire hazard ?. Failed to get ay joy via virgin phone or e mail

spiderplant 03-06-2020 19:11

Re: are v6 unsafe

If a V6 overheats, it will shut itself down with a message on the screen that you really can't miss:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtQijfmI...pg&name=medium

So it probably wasn't overheating. But it won't hurt to make sure the vents aren't blocked.

Even if a fire did break out inside the box, they are designed so that the flames would be contained in the case.

cheekyangus 03-06-2020 20:06

Useful screenshot that spiderplant. Thanks.

Itshim 05-06-2020 12:20

Re: Are v6 unsafe ?

Box died got to speak to virgin in the end new box on way. Living on sky go, and smart TV choices .starting to wonder if I really need a box at all!

Mr K 05-06-2020 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36038226)
If a V6 overheats, it will shut itself down with a message on the screen that you really can't miss:

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

So it probably wasn't overheating. But it won't hurt to make sure the vents aren't blocked.

Even if a fire did break out inside the box, they are designed so that the flames would be contained in the case.

Amazed i haven't had this. My V6 in the bedroom is tucked away in a cosy draw (though i have knocked a small air vent in the back if drawers. I'm in big trouble with Mrs K if we move and she sees it ! )

daveeb 05-06-2020 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36038442)
Amazed i haven't had this. My V6 in the bedroom is tucked away in a cosy draw (though i have knocked a small air vent in the back if drawers. I'm in big trouble with Mrs K if we move and she sees it ! )

Should keep the undies warm and toastie for use in the winter. ;)

SnoopZ 05-06-2020 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36038441)
Box died got to speak to virgin in the end new box on way. Living on sky go, and smart TV choices .starting to wonder if I really need a box at all!

If you have a Firestick sideload CinemaHD app on it and get all movies and TV shows, takes 5mins to install.

Itshim 05-06-2020 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36038471)
If you have a Firestick sideload CinemaHD app on it and get all movies and TV shows, takes 5mins to install.

So a buy a fire stick . Then what other cost would there be? Should said also have Netflix which is for me more than fine on smart TV . A single button gets me straight on. Very rarely do l look at Amazon infact looking to let it go!:)

spiderplant 05-06-2020 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36038501)
So a buy a fire stick

That sounds a lot more dangerous than your V6 :erm:

SnoopZ 05-06-2020 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36038501)
So a buy a fire stick . Then what other cost would there be? Should said also have Netflix which is for me more than fine on smart TV . A single button gets me straight on. Very rarely do l look at Amazon infact looking to let it go!:)

No cost, it is just a very easy way to watch stuff, think Kodi with no setup or sign up, I can message a webpage explaining the easy install if you want.

Huxie 05-06-2020 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36038511)
No cost, it is just a very easy way to watch stuff, think Kodi with no setup or sign up, I can message a webpage explaining the easy install if you want.

Would also installing/using a VPN be advised?

SnoopZ 06-06-2020 00:00

I never bother.

Itshim 06-06-2020 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36038511)

not sure what I would gain .smart TV gives all the channel's I want with the plus of getting Netflix a lot easier than via the v6 .Only wish I could get sky go with it! Can add now TV if I wanted to as of now I haven't bothered . Anyway will look at it not sure I want to give Amazon more than I have too!