Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 23-05-2004 21:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

Hellboy

( :erm: , seen courtesy of a friend's dodgy DVD....I'd happily give my money to the studio/distributor to see it, but as it isn't out in the cinema in the UK, nor even out on DVD in the US, there was no other way..crap excuse I admit....but I will buy the DVD when it comes out in Region1)

Anyway.....****ing brilliant!!!!!!!!! 9/10 :D :D

Great film. Good cast (especially Ron Pearlman...he is perfect as Hellboy), good story, great action, great FX, great fun.

Guillermo del Toro has again shown how talented a director & screenwriter he is.

I don't understand why it's out in the UK so bloody late though! Not in the cinema here 'till September or thereabouts.

I've pre-ordered the Region 1 DVD from DVDBoxofice.com (due out July) - this is definitely, IMO, a "must-have" (well, for people who enjoy this kind of film ;) )...I'll probably also end up getting the R1 3 disc extended edition (due out a few months after the normal version)

TheBlueRaja 23-05-2004 22:42

Matchstick Men, very good film - wont tell you nuffin about it though as pretty much anything will give the game away.

8/10

bopdude 23-05-2004 23:26

Austin Powers 2, not as good the second time around but still give it 6 \ 10 :D for its smut content alone ;) :disturbd:

altis 24-05-2004 09:33

We watched Bend it like Beckham again on DVD at the w/e. It's the story of two girls, Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley, and their local girls' football team. It's very funny and Juliet Stevenson has some fantastic lines. It's a wonderful portrayal of multi-cultural London. But really, the film is about prejudices - from all quarters - and some of them are most painful. 'Dad's' speach about him coming over from India and then the gorras wouldn't let him play cricket, gets me in tears every time.

Definately recommended - I would almost say compulsory viewing!

Chris 24-05-2004 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by altis
We watched Bend it like Beckham again on DVD at the w/e. It's the story of two girls, Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley, and their local girls' football team. It's very funny and Juliet Stevenson has some fantastic lines. It's a wonderful portrayal of multi-cultural London. But really, the film is about prejudices - from all quarters - and some of them are most painful. 'Dad's' speach about him coming over from India and then the gorras wouldn't let him play cricket, gets me in tears every time.

Definately recommended - I would almost say compulsory viewing!

I own this one on DVD - definitely worth it. :tu:

Nugget 24-05-2004 09:48

Had a bit of a film-fest this weekend (and still found time to watch the FA Cup Final and the Grand Prix!)

Got three films from the video shop:

SWAT - enjoyable potboiler if completely predictable. Colin Farrell doing his thing and Samuel L being Samuel L - nothing wrong with that! 7 / 10.

Stuck on You - quite funny in places, but not up to the Farrelly Brothers usual standard. The funny bits ARE very funny though. 6 / 10/

Paycheck - though this was really good! I know that Ben Affleck has his knockers (insert gag here ;) ), but I thought he was very convincing, and Uma Thurman was good as well (especially considering that, in one review, it said that she did nothing but hover in the background). Oh, and it's good to see that John Woo can get his dove into every single film he makes! 8/10

We also went to the pictures and saw Troy - absolutely fantastic. Ignoring the fact that most of us already know the story, Wolfgang Peterson has really set it up well and the fight scenes are excellent. At just over two-and-a-halfs hours long, it's a bit of a bum-number, but I'd definitely go and see it again. 10 / 10

Roll on The Day After Tomorrow!

abailey152 24-05-2004 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblueraja
Matchstick Men, very good film - wont tell you nuffin about it though as pretty much anything will give the game away.

8/10

I honestly thought it was slow. And I had a good idea what was going to happen quite early on. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Nick Cage but I thought he played his part well.

abailey152 24-05-2004 11:39

Saw the Last Samuri on DVD - V.Good :tu: :tu: :tu: 9/10.

Bex 28-05-2004 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by abailey152
Saw the Last Samuri on DVD - V.Good :tu: :tu: :tu: 9/10.

i saw that at the cinema, absolutely fantastic movie i'd go with ur rating of it too

just watch "paycheck" on DVD.... slow to begin with but not bad, the ending was a bit poor though i give it 7/10 and ben affleck 9/10 ;)

also watched "daredevil" last night, pretty good 8/10 (seems to be a bit of a ben theme doesnt there :erm: )

Jarandco 28-05-2004 13:58

The Day After Tomorrow 8/10 although the plot mite lack a bit but it was good, hopefully the dvd has loads of extras cos then ill prob get it on dvd! :D

(8/10 mainly due to amazing special effects!)

SOSAGES 28-05-2004 14:11

i think its good we all have different opinions on films - i wouldnt of given any of the last 6 listed a high mark 5.10 if they are lucky.

tdat looks fancy thats where it ends

anyway last film i saw was last weekend
50 first dates - could of been better but harmless 6/10

SOSAGES 28-05-2004 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca
Hellboy

( :erm: , seen courtesy of a friend's dodgy DVD....I'd happily give my money to the studio/distributor to see it, but as it isn't out in the cinema in the UK, nor even out on DVD in the US, there was no other way..crap excuse I admit....but I will buy the DVD when it comes out in Region1)

Anyway.....****ing brilliant!!!!!!!!! 9/10 :D :D

i think we watched different films :) and this maybe why its taking its time to come out here - the movie for me anyway was full of dry humor and some corney lines - special fx are very good but the animatronix is pretty naff -its entertaining in its simpleness but i could of lived without watching it. another super hero movie that turned out naff :( i was dispaointed slighty especially considering the hype just like with troy - anyway :) 6/10 as it was kinda "fun"

bopdude 30-05-2004 21:58

Just watched shrek 2, not as good as the first but still funny in parts..... 6\10 :D

Tezcatlipoca 01-06-2004 01:55

Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban (sp?) [cinema]

Hmm, 8/10

Much better than the 1st two. Which is to be expected, as the source is a hell of a lot better than theirs.

Well made & good fun.

Bubba Ho-Tep [DVD]

7/10

A bit of a slow start, but very good, & very...different.

Bruce Campbell is excellent, as always. The guy who played JFK was quite good too.

Bex 04-06-2004 10:34

me and my fella watched "last samari" yesterday (i saw it at the cinema but he hadn't) i give it 9/10 or 9+1/2 /10 fab film, didnt think i would enjoy it but really did