Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Halcyon 01-09-2005 13:04

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

"Unleashed"

I hadnt a clue what this was about when I was asked to go and see this movie, and when it started I thought "Oh dear this is going to be fighting sequences throughout the whole film".
BUT... This was not the case and there was actually a story behind itas it developed nicely. With Morgan Freeman playing an old blind man really well. The film has a few funny bits too and it turned in to a pleasent film to watch after all.

zing_deleted 01-09-2005 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
"Unleashed"

I hadnt a clue what this was about when I was asked to go and see this movie, and when it started I thought "Oh dear this is going to be fighting sequences throughout the whole film".
BUT... This was not the case and there was actually a story behind itas it developed nicely. With Morgan Freeman playing an old blind man really well. The film has a few funny bits too and it turned in to a pleasent film to watch after all.

had this on region 3 dvd for weeks now under the name of Danny the Dog ;)

Stuart 01-09-2005 14:16

Last new movie was "The Island". This is quite a good film. Although it has nothing to do with Jerry Bruckhiemer (apart from the fact that previously, Micheal Bay has worked with Bruckhiemer), it's very similar in style to those films. Not a very developed storyline, although the characters are not well developed (deliberately so in some places), they are well acted, and the story is enjoyable.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansson looks extremly sexy with her hair down & slightly ruffled.

If you go to see this film expecting to see a wonderful & intelligent story, you will be disappointed. If you go to see it expecting an OK story, good special FX and stunts to make your jaw drop, you might like it.

Last film I saw? Watched Superman II on DVD the other night. Still love that film.

Mal 01-09-2005 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C
Last new movie was "The Island". This is quite a good film. Although it has nothing to do with Jerry Bruckhiemer (apart from the fact that previously, Micheal Bay has worked with Bruckhiemer), it's very similar in style to those films. Not a very developed storyline, although the characters are not well developed (deliberately so in some places), they are well acted, and the story is enjoyable.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansson looks extremly sexy with her hair down & slightly ruffled.

If you go to see this film expecting to see a wonderful & intelligent story, you will be disappointed. If you go to see it expecting an OK story, good special FX and stunts to make your jaw drop, you might like it.

Considering that it was a Michael Bay film, it wasn't bad ;) Like you said, it's one of those films which you should not go into the film with your expectations high.

...and Scarlett Johansson did look good...

Last film I saw was Big Trouble in Little China. Plenty of cheesy lines :)

Quote:

[Jack starts up the Pork Chop Express]
Gracie: What was that?
Jack Burton: 6.9 on the Richter scale!

Atomic22 01-09-2005 21:58

just managed to watch road trip for the first time........
cheesy but funny

Hom3r 01-09-2005 22:04

late last week we had a cinema that was 45 years old original 1 screen, converted to 3 (Saturday morning films for 50p when a nipper) closed. My sister who works next door said builder are already ripping the insides out.
local paper covered it
http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/ne...0of%20film.lpf

Jules 01-09-2005 22:59

Always sad when that happens :(

Stuart 01-09-2005 23:03

True... The cinema where I saw Star Wars (the Lewisham Odeon) is now part of the Lewisham High stree bypass. Similarly, there was an absolutey lovely cinema in Greenwich that is now a block of luxury apartments. Still, the other Greenwich cinema (the one nearest where I work) is re-opening as an all-digital cinema soon.

Tezcatlipoca 01-09-2005 23:38

Fantastic Four -

7/10 (including a bonus point for having Jessica Alba in a rather lovely costume).

Not bad, but not on a par with the X-Men & Spider-Man movies.

Took too long to get going, not enough happened until the end. Still, at least all the set up is out of the way now for when they inevitably do a sequel.

Stealth -

5/10.

Average, but enjoyable, action nonsense from the director of xXx

Graham 02-09-2005 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D
Average, but enjoyable, action nonsense

Talking of which, I watched The Core the other day.

This is a classic Disaster Movie, "classic" in the sense that not many minutes into the film I'd identified all the archetypal characters and predicted the nature of their demise (with pretty good accuracy!)

There's one good SF in-joke where the guy who built the craft they're going to use to get to the core refers to the material it's constructed from as "unobtainium"!

Pretty effects, cliched plot and dialogue. Whiles away an hour or two - 4/10.

Phone Booth, on the other hand, was a lot more interesting, it had some predictable bits in, but also some nice ideas and is definitely well executed.

What's best about it is that IIRC it runs only to about one hour and twenty minutes which is well timed, because any longer and it would lose its impact.

Definitely worth a watch - 7.5/10

SMHarman 02-09-2005 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.ewles
late last week we had a cinema that was 45 years old original 1 screen, converted to 3 (Saturday morning films for 50p when a nipper) closed. My sister who works next door said builder are already ripping the insides out.
local paper covered it
http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/ne...0of%20film.lpf

Seen many a movie there, also at the Waltham Cross one (now a Bingo hall)

GreenBars 02-09-2005 21:47

I saw my first film (Star Wars) at the Harlow Odeon in '77. Haven't made that much use of it in recent years - probably only three times in the last six years. Guess I'm as responsible as anybody for its demise - it's too easy to go to a multiplex.

Ramrod 02-09-2005 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb
had this on region 3 dvd for weeks now under the name of Danny the Dog ;)

Gonna watch it this w/e :)

Watched Star Wars III (my 4yo calls it Star Whores :rofl: ) last night......not bad 5-6/10

pedantic 02-09-2005 22:44

For anyone who rents dvd's online, I just seen this on my online rental website http://videoisland.com/corporate/new...html?item=1241 looks like I won't have a full service for a couple of weeks, but glad nobody was hurt.

Regards.

kronas 02-09-2005 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Gonna watch it this w/e :)

Watched Star Wars III (my 4yo calls it Star Whores :rofl: ) last night......not bad 5-6/10

what have you been teaching them ;) :nono:

i watched 'the perfect match' recently, something diffarent to what i normally watch but it was a fine movie, its basically about a mother (heather locklear) who dates guys but never finds a reliable one so they keep moving houses state to state, so one of her children (hilary duff) gets the help of a new female freinds father and starts talking to her father who gives her advice on what makes the perfect man.... i wont spoil the rest :p: