Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 07-08-2005 21:48

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

"Once Upon a Time in America"

Classic gangster movie by Sergio Leone, following the fortunes of a group of "Kosher Nostra" Jewish mobsters in New York.

Top notch cast, including Robert DeNiro & James Woods.

Only downside is that it was nearly 4 hours long...

Ramrod 07-08-2005 21:51

Oceans 12--Pants :td:

Mr_love_monkey 07-08-2005 22:31

Donnie Darko.

Went and watched it at the open air cinema in hyde park - it's a great film, was just ruined by seeing it there - glad I had seen it before, else I wouldn't have made sense of the film

Stuart 07-08-2005 22:39

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... Excellent Cast, Excellent Film, Great music..

kronas 08-08-2005 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron25
Stealth :erm: A pretty poor run of the mill film if you ask me and rather corny as well. 4/10 :td:

i watched it and thought it was dragging on alot in places, i know its about a AI plane, but the bits in the air dragged on a fair bit, i think it tried to live in the reputation of special affects and a goodish looking plane.

Halcyon 08-08-2005 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... Excellent Cast, Excellent Film, Great music..

I didnt know what to think about this film but people have been saying its really good so I think I'l definately have to check it out after all.

Tezcatlipoca 09-08-2005 00:32

"The Untouchables"

Classic mob-movie, by Brian DePalma, about Elliot Ness & his "Untouchables", & their battle to take down Al Capone.

Excellent stuff :tu:

Great cast (De Niro, Connery, Costner, Andy Garcia, etc.), great action, great everything.

And some brilliant scenes...including the superb station-steps shoot-out.

punky 09-08-2005 01:06

Family Guy movie. (Yeah, I know, I didn't know they made it either).

Excellent though 9/10.

iron25 09-08-2005 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky
Family Guy movie. (Yeah, I know, I didn't know they made it either).

Excellent though 9/10.

:tu:

I wouldn't give it such a high mark but a solid 6 from me as it was a bit hit & miss. The lacklustre video part made me chuckle :D

kookook 09-08-2005 10:46

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days (TMN) - 3.5/5:cool:
28 Days Later (DVD) - 4.5/5:dmonk:
Return Of The King (Theatre) - 4.5/5:beer:

I'd give 5/5 for the first two parts of LOTR, but this one was choppier... you can tell that alot was cut out from this one where it wasn't so obvious with the other two.:clap:

marky 10-08-2005 23:57

Herbie fully loaded :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10/10 nearly wet myself :tu:

Mal 12-08-2005 23:28

The Island

Not bad seen as it was directed by Michael Bay. It could have been worse...

A good piece of popcorn entertainment.

bopdude 18-08-2005 00:03

Dukes of Hazzard ............... toal pap IMO, not even remotely like the original, all the character casting was wrong wrong wrong, I mean, Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg for one, come on, thin plot and, well nough said.

2/10 and thats just for Jessica's Daisy Duke :drool: but again, Daisy was dark haired and Jessy is fair, oh well ....whats next ???

Stuart 18-08-2005 00:25

Stealth: Actually a lot better than I was expecting (which wasn't much to be honest), Very similar to Top Gun in style (and storyline). The Storyline isn't great, the acting is OK rather than good, but the battle scenes are brilliantly done.

Also Jessica Biel looks nice..

5/10 (probably would be 8/10 if I were drunk as it's the sort of film I love when drunk).

Graham 18-08-2005 00:49

So, having got Sky+ and all the regular movie channels I've just been recording and watching a bunch of stuff off Sky Movies, so none of these are up to date, but WTH...!

Shaun of the Dead - In American Zombie films heroes with guns go out and make the world safe for Truth, Justice and the American Way again. In this British film, they go down the pub! :D

This film is a "must see" as far as I'm concerned, it's funny, not overly sentimental, occasionally thought provoking and a damn good laugh!

Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl - Another that is definitely on the "don't miss" list. It's great fun, with lots of great dialogue, smart action sequences some impressive effects and Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow is something that simply cannot be described but has to be seen to be believed!

2 Fast, 2 Furious. Hmm, put this one on the "whiles away a couple of hours if you've nothing better to do" list. Lots of fast cars, plenty of testosterone, but not much in the way of characterisation, plot, dialogue or, well anything much. Did I mention the fast cars...?

Tremors 4 - The Legend Begins. Oh dear, once again Hollywood thinks that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Town in Nevada, yada yada, people start disappearing, yada yada, big monsters, yada yada, monsters die. Ho hum. Oh and Michael Gross (the Survivalist from the other films) turns up as his own ancestor with a dodgy pseudo-British sort of accent :rolleyes:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Sean Connery plays Sean Connery again, this time under the name of Alan Quatermaine, we also have Captain Nemo, Tom Sawyer, the Invisible Man (well, *an* invisible man), Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde...

Plenty of stunning sets and set pieces, lots of thud and blunder, some occasionally witty dialogue, not much of a plot or characterisations. Still, it's enjoyable enough and less than two hours long.

Kill Bill Vol 1 - Quentin Tarantino says there's no such thing as "Tarantino-esque", well sorry, QT, but this is a Tarantino-esque film! Presented in chapters which are out of sequence, lots of violence and blood, characters with odd motivations or personal traits, looks great, achieves not very much.

X2 - The X Men are back in a flashy, action packed, piece of fluff. Again, barely an attempt at developing any sort of character and what there is gets wasted by a stupid ending where someone dies because various characters suddenly seem to forget that they have super powers!

The Matrix - Reloaded / Revolutions. Well the second part is actually quite good, plenty of stunning effects sequences and some real character development (which was sadly lacking from the first film), unfortunately, apart from Morpheus' big speech, the dialogue really lets this one down and, like everyone else, I was listening to the exposition at the end going :wtf:

I watched the second and third parts back to back and I'm not sure if I was "Matrixed out", but by the end of Revolutions, I was almost going "well get it over with for gods' sake!" It was rather a case of "more of the same" and I think you can have too much of a good thing. Still, it's set a benchmark for effects that will be there for some time to come.