Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Chris 03-04-2009 18:20

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

It starts out promising enough. The premise is that a little girl in the 1950s wrote out a string of apparently random numbers for a school art project, then in the present day the paper comes into the possession of an MIT professor (Nicholas Cage) who deduces that the numbers were actually a prediction of 'every major disaster' from then until now. But there's a twist - the last three predictions in the string are in the immediate future. So Cage sets out to see if he can affect their outcomes.

Up to that point, it's really good. The tension builds nicely and there's a plane crash that deserves an award for use of CGI. Mind you that's balanced out by a pretty ropey train wreck about 20 minutes later.

Unfortunately the plot really goes off the rails, as a gang of mysterious blokes who look like they styled themselves after an albino Danish boy band start showing up and hassling Cage's young son. Then shiny black stones start appearing all over the place. Then, half an hour from the end, the screenwriter completely throws the towel in as the story turns into a bizarre homage to Close Encounters of the Third Kind (except not nearly so well done).

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.

SB_07 04-04-2009 02:05

Stepbrothers: Love watching a mindless type of comedy film now and then and this is def one of those.

7/10

Hugh 04-04-2009 11:51

Quantum of Solace - 7/10

sir_drinks_alot 05-04-2009 07:51

No Country for Old Men -gold star

Very good movie it's kept simple through out with the story that gose a long at a nice pace with Out the need to go all silly in the last half hour. just to fit in a ending to the film that would have Ruined the whole thing
The end to my mind is one of the best i've seen in a long time.

alferret 05-04-2009 17:45

FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.

Stuart 05-04-2009 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 34769267)
FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.

Why? From what I have read he hasn't made a good film yet.. I will state that I have never seen one, so can't comment on whether I would have liked them.

Anyhow: Watched Knowing with Nicholas Cage tonight. The good points are that it has a good (if predictable) storyline, is fairly well written, has good special effects, and Rose Byrne (as ever) looks pretty and acts well.

For most of it, the film is a fairly good combination of a thriller, disaster movie and horror. It does get a little schmaltzy toward the end though.

One thing that surprised me: Nicholas Cage is normally a good actor, but although he plays this part well, his character is a little to close to being the cliched hollywood single father who is still dealing with the grief caused by the death of his wife. In other word, he played the part well, but the part is a carbon copy of any one of a number of hollywood characters, including some played by Cage himself.

6/10. It would probably be an 8 if Cage's character hadn't reminded me of several characters from other films.

ZrByte 06-04-2009 10:07

Monsters Vs Aliens 3D - Its not the best dreamworks animated movie I have seen by a long way in terms of humour, shrek, over the hedge etc are a lot funnier but it was still very funny and the 3D was amazing, would have to give it about 8/10 for the 3D version though I think in 2D it would be a little less special so would only get about 6/10.

superbiatch 06-04-2009 12:10

National Treasure - 9/10, really liked this film, its kind of like an adult Jumanji :D - can't believe it was released in 2004 and I've only just seen it

Quantum of Solace - 6/10, hmm this was ok but not enough gadgets for me. Also, i was quite suprised to see Bond only bed one girl in the whole film :dozey:

Stephen 06-04-2009 13:19

Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's :)

SB_07 08-04-2009 01:01

Wanted - 7/10

Alot of over the top bits but a great action film.

Saaf_laandon_mo 09-04-2009 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 34769786)
Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's :)

Would a 4 and a half year old girl appreciate monsters versus aliens? Thinking of taking the little one to see this over the weekend in 3d.

Finally saw REC yesterday (spanish subtitled film) - Not seen Quarantine so can't compare the 2, but I did think REC was a very good film until the very end. Although not really sure how they could have ended it.

I'll give it 8 out of 10

zing_deleted 09-04-2009 13:37

I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?

Saaf_laandon_mo 09-04-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34772059)
I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?

The glasses are my main concern, but we have been to the British Science museum and seen some of their 3d offerings in their cinema, in glasses which she's been ok with.

xocemp 10-04-2009 16:49

X-Men Origins Wolverine. 10/10 action packed and had a nice twist or two in the story.

Errm I managed to get a free copy with a linux ISO I downloaded :erm:
Don't know how that happend but *shrugs* :D

Tezcatlipoca 10-04-2009 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34768051)
Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

(snip)

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.

That was pretty much my view too...

Also seen:

Get Smart - Not overly funny, but still enjoyable nonsense.

Eagle Eye - Ridiculous, but good fun if you just sit back & enjoy the ride.

Burn After Reading - Very good, & nice to see the Coen Brothers do black comedy again after the rather more serious No Country For Old Men.