Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Welshchris 16-12-2008 20:32

re: Rate the last movie you saw

i saw Another Gay Sequel, Gays Gone Wild. Didnt think i would like it but it was sooooo damn funny id say it was a 8/10.

Burner1 16-12-2008 20:38

Ghost Town, Ricky Gervais plays up his usual mannersisms etc. but I like him anyway. Plots a little 'thin' so would give it 8/10.

Hoping to catch 'Burn after reading' next.

Russ 21-12-2008 00:35

V For Vendetta - 7 out of 10, would have been a 9 if it wasn't for the annoying americanisms. I really liked the V character though :)

Enuff 21-12-2008 00:59

Seven Pounds - The new Will Smith movie. 5/10

Trailer

Welshchris 22-12-2008 04:07

I watched The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor today.

I have to say compared to the previous Mummy films this was boring and very disapointing.

6/10 for me on this.

Enuff 22-12-2008 07:31

Blindness - How I sat through it I don't know! It has to be one of the most irritating films I've ever seen. zero/10

zing_deleted 22-12-2008 09:17

Went to watch Twilight its an ok film lot of character building ready for sequels 6:10

Tezcatlipoca 22-12-2008 20:03

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition DVD)

8/10

altis 22-12-2008 21:59

Oranges are not the only fruit 3-part TV play (1990)
Novel and screenplay by Jeanette Winterson

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098032/

I had no idea what this film was about but, while browsing the DVD shelf at the library, vaguely recognised the title and noticed it had won a couple of awards. Of course Mrs A had read the book and was, let's say, not over enthusiastic about my choice.

It's about the early life of Jess from age about 6 'til she goes to Oxford Uni. On the way we discover she is adopted by evangelical, fire and brimstone parents who are most unhappy when she turns out lesbian. Through a series of events Jess learns to fight her own corner and eventually leaves home, gets a job as a mortuary attendant and passes the Oxford entrance exam.

The acting is remarkable - notably from Emily Aston who, at the age of 7, plays the young Jess and Charlotte Coleman who plays the older Jess. Geralidine McEwan won a BAFTA for her portrayal of Jess's adoptive mother. The sometimes difficult scenes are handled very well.

However, at 3 x 55 minutes, the movie is interminably long and drawn out. We discover a little of the motives of Jess and her mother but the other characters are simply cutouts. There is no depth and layering. Worst of all, many of the scenes are just unbelievable. Would a teacher, even in the early 60's, really get a child to stand up in front of the class and read her life story on her first day? Jess seems to live in a town populated almost entirely by women. And, of those, a goodly proportion were friends of Dorothy. Clearly, I inhabit a different world but these statistics seemed most improbable. And, although the two Jesses were very similar, the older Jess's eyebrows were clearly a different colour from her hair - difficult to sort but glaring in every close-up shot - of which there were many. Others seem to find it a classic of it's time (read some of the IMDB comments) but this film did little for me.

The DVD also has an interview with Jeanette Winterson. She protests that 'Oranges...' is a novel and not an autobiography yet one-by-one she reveals she experienced the basic elements of the plot. Perhaps this also revealed the cause of my reticence. She is certainly articulate, knows a good deal and can argue her point. But I'm certain she is often wrong - and will not be persuaded otherwise. I got the impression that this is a woman I would dislike intensely.

whydoIneedatech 22-12-2008 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34702072)
Went to watch Twilight its an ok film lot of character building ready for sequels 6:10

Well the are 4 books in the saga, so a series is on the cards, not bad viewing for a couple of hours on winters day. 7/10

spence 23-12-2008 00:20

Transformers in blu ray loved it def got to be a 9/10

Russ 23-12-2008 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by altis (Post 34702400)
and Charlotte Coleman who plays the older Jess

An underrated actress, I couldn't believe it when she died at only 33 :(

altis 23-12-2008 09:44

...from an asthma attack!

:gulp:

papa smurf 23-12-2008 10:43

the day the earth stood still [2008]

7/10 not to shabby- worth microwaving the pop corn.

Saaf_laandon_mo 23-12-2008 11:24

Madagasgar 2. Very funny with lots of laugh out loud moments. 10 out of 10.