Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : BBC iplayer problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694794)

Mr K 26-08-2014 00:07

Re: BBC iplayer problem

Its got potential to get worse as they seem intent on running down the catch up on the v+/ vhd and pushing the punters onto TiVo. More users = more buffering. They are going to be dissapointed when they get TiVos flaky iPlayer to replace what was a reliable catch up service on the v+/vhd.

spiderplant 26-08-2014 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35724205)
I don't know why they are saying it's resolved I was told my tivo won't be fixed till 2015 for bbc buffering

I presume they mean the national issue is resolved. But there are whole pile of local ones that need addressing.

Gavin-D 26-08-2014 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35724261)
I presume they mean the national issue is resolved. But there are whole pile of local ones that need addressing.

Yes according to the forum the main issue is resolved and they are meant to be dealing with the problems now on case by case

muppetman11 26-08-2014 10:20

Xbox One to get updated iPlayer by Christmas alongside TiVo and YouView

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bbc-...-and-bt-vision

montehampster 26-08-2014 12:04

Its so poor I've spend £20 on a Chromecast to run all on demand and YouTube content.

Download a casting app from the Playstore/iTunes to you Smartphone, tablet or laptop and away you go. Also use it to stream other content I.E. music and video (although it has limited acceptable formats).

Yes I know I shouldn't have to pay extra to get this given how much I pay Virgin each month but it solves the problem and avoids a whole heap of frustration!

japitts 26-08-2014 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35724275)
Yes according to the forum the main issue is resolved and they are meant to be dealing with the problems now on case by case

That's how I understand it.. We moved from V+ to TiVo just over a month ago now, saw big improvements around the time that the "national issue" got resolved, but it still struggled on HD streaming mainly at peak times.

Much forum ping-pong later, and an SNR issue has been raised. We've seen steady improvements since. Still not 100% yet but...

Mr K 26-08-2014 21:54

I've got a Tivo and a VHD box so feel i can compare. Gave up on Tivo a long time ago for catch up because of buffering - particularly HD at peak times. Works perfectly on the VHD and in better quality, however they are now running that down and withdrawn HD programmes altogether. Gave the iplayer on Tivo a go again tonight for a programme that wasn't on the VHD (Match of the Day 50th thing) - worked ok for 20 secs and then the buffering started. Reports of buffering on the support forum get ignored and VM's hired posters ridicule you for making such a fuss and there is no problem as their service is perfect - I suspect they haven't tried to watch HD programmes at peak times. So VM's strategy seems to be axe the good service and put more punters on the overly congested one, makes sense to someone, somewhere.....

Tivo is so slow compared to the VHD aswell -its overly bloated with apps that don't work properly or nobody uses. If anything they should migrate the software from the VHD onto Tivo rather than the other way round .

RobboEdin 27-08-2014 09:44

Who are these 'VM's hired posters'?

Are they Virgin Media employees?

jb66 27-08-2014 10:19

I think he is referring to the superusers on the community forum

steveh 27-08-2014 10:29

It was a BBC decision to require all services to use the same IP-based architecture for iPlayer, not Virgin's, and it sounds like work is now taking place to improve things.

The next major release of the TiVo software is supposed to fix the speed issues by replacing the interface layer that caused most of the sluggishness.

(Personally I still think the TiVo UI is a trainwreck filled with inconsistencies and bad practice that would have Steve Jobs spinning in his grave, but eventually you get used to it for the everyday things...)

RobboEdin 27-08-2014 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35724570)
I think he is referring to the superusers on the community forum

...so what's Mr_K's problem with them? They seem to be high up in the Helpful Answers and Kudos list which presumably means that many find them reliable and accurate.

jb66 27-08-2014 11:30

Some are helpful, some are fanbois, some are copy and paste warriors.

We have all 3 in this thread
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...x/td-p/2327367

japitts 29-08-2014 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35724275)

Unfortunately... telephone-CS are still utterly adamant that the global fault is still active, and they refuse to log individual issues. VM Support Forum adamant of the opposite but take several days to respond.

And therein lies another current problem.

Gavin-D 29-08-2014 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35724997)
Unfortunately... telephone-CS are still utterly adamant that the global fault is still active, and they refuse to log individual issues. VM Support Forum adamant of the opposite but take several days to respond.

And therein lies another current problem.

Having viewed the forum for a few weeks now they don't even be appearing to respond to the main iPlayer problems thread now the last reply from the admin was August 13th

Gavin-D 03-09-2014 10:06

In relation to a post by uk_viewer on VM's support forum Kath F posted this

Hi uk_viewer,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with this.

We are aware of many people having an issue with the service but after speaking with the BBC, any known issue has been resolved. They have suggested this is down to an individual fault.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...458619#M101335

So does this mean that everyone how has a problem still will be treated as an individual fault? if so they'll have a lot of individual faults to resolve going by the amount of complaints they still get