Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : BBC iplayer problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694794)

Gavin78 21-08-2013 23:50

BBC iplayer problem

I'm sure I posted here before but my post seems to have gone missing.

So here it is again is it common to have problems with VM BBC Iplayer HD content seems to stutter to the point I can't watch it and same goes for SD although not as much.

I've been using my smart tv to watch Iplayer stuff and don't have any problems

Mr K 23-08-2013 09:33

Re: BBC iplayer problem

Yes it's common, Iplayer is pants on Tivo.

Report it as a fault. They probably can't solve it and will blame the BBC, but unless more people report it and just stop regarding it as normal service, nothing will change. Iplayer is fine on other platforms - TiVo is the problem and you're paying for it.

Chris 23-08-2013 09:41

IPlayer implementation varies greatly from platform to platform. I can watch it just fine on my Echostar Freesat box (not in HD, my ADSL struggles to maintain 2Mb) while the Wii, sitting right next to it, will stutter and crap out constantly on the same stream at the same time of day.

martin201002 23-08-2013 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35613564)
I'm sure I posted here before but my post seems to have gone missing.

So here it is again is it common to have problems with VM BBC Iplayer HD content seems to stutter to the point I can't watch it and same goes for SD although not as much.

I've been using my smart tv to watch Iplayer stuff and don't have any problems

Same here well dodgy on my TiVo boxes, works fine on the ps3 though. Iplayer works much better on a standard Vhd box.

DVD Cinema 27-08-2013 23:31

Does Tivo use the internet version for iPlayer?

MalteseFalcon 28-08-2013 09:37

Yes, although I watched an hour long HD programme yesterday evening through my TiVo and it didn't stutter once.

Doug P 28-08-2013 10:38

Pants is rather strong.

Have had no real problems with Tivo IPlayer personally...

MovedGoalPosts 28-08-2013 12:18

I'll avoid watching BBC streamed stuff on my TiVo. Too unreliable an experience.

OLD BOY 28-08-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35615490)
Pants is rather strong.

Have had no real problems with Tivo IPlayer personally...

Nor have I, since the initial teething problems. Those having problems with the I-Player should report it. I am convinced that the problem is with the signal in most cases. Get the signal strength sorted out and it should work fine.

vascop 07-09-2013 15:00

A few days ago I had a fault when using iplayer over a Samsung V+ box, which caused the picture to make forward jumps every so often. I tried it several times on different days, but it was always the same, except that it was worse at some times than at others.
Today I had an idea: I remembered that I am using a good quality HDMI cable to connect my DVD player to the TV and the HDMI cable that came with my V+ box when I first got it a few years ago now, to connect the V+ box to the TV. I swapped them round and played the troublesome programme again and it was perfect. Just to be sure I re-connected the cables as they had been originally and the fault came back.
I have now re-connected the good quality HDMI between the V+ box and the TV and will buy another quality cable for my DVD player.
I will monitor the situation and report back if I have any more problems.
Perhaps good quality HDMI cables do make a difference in certain circumstances!
PS I should say that 4oD and the ITV player did not have this fault, even with the HDMI cable supplied by Virgin Media.

Gavin-D 25-08-2014 21:20

Sorry to dig up this thread but the iPlayer has buffered really bad since early August, I have contacted 'support' but I was told was reboot the box and that will fix it, but it hasn't any suggestions what I can do as I'm not happy with the support offered by the faults team

I have read the VM forum and they have stated;

Quote:

The known issue has now been resolved. However we are aware that some customers, are continuing to experience issues. We must now treat these as individual issues.
But my issue isn't getting sorted as I got told to reboot the box and the call was ended by the 'support' guy before I could retry it

MalteseFalcon 25-08-2014 21:40

Try doing what I did earlier, connect ethernet up to hub and TiVo. Played a stuttering programme all the way through with no problems.

Gavin-D 25-08-2014 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35724200)
Try doing what I did earlier, connect ethernet up to hub and TiVo. Played a stuttering programme all the way through with no problems.

Unfortunately I can't do that as the hub and box are not close and I don't have those home plug things

jb66 25-08-2014 21:47

Even with a tivo connected to the hub it won't make a difference. I don't k ow why they are saying it's resolved I was told my tivo won't be fixed till 2015 for bbc buffering

Stephen 25-08-2014 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35724200)

That wouldn't actually have had any effect.

The TiVo uses its internal modem for streaming and NOT the ethernet.

Its a pain, iPlayer is really bad but ITV player content is rather jerky too on playback.

Mr K 26-08-2014 00:07

Its got potential to get worse as they seem intent on running down the catch up on the v+/ vhd and pushing the punters onto TiVo. More users = more buffering. They are going to be dissapointed when they get TiVos flaky iPlayer to replace what was a reliable catch up service on the v+/vhd.

spiderplant 26-08-2014 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35724205)
I don't know why they are saying it's resolved I was told my tivo won't be fixed till 2015 for bbc buffering

I presume they mean the national issue is resolved. But there are whole pile of local ones that need addressing.

Gavin-D 26-08-2014 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35724261)
I presume they mean the national issue is resolved. But there are whole pile of local ones that need addressing.

Yes according to the forum the main issue is resolved and they are meant to be dealing with the problems now on case by case

muppetman11 26-08-2014 10:20

Xbox One to get updated iPlayer by Christmas alongside TiVo and YouView

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bbc-...-and-bt-vision

montehampster 26-08-2014 12:04

Its so poor I've spend £20 on a Chromecast to run all on demand and YouTube content.

Download a casting app from the Playstore/iTunes to you Smartphone, tablet or laptop and away you go. Also use it to stream other content I.E. music and video (although it has limited acceptable formats).

Yes I know I shouldn't have to pay extra to get this given how much I pay Virgin each month but it solves the problem and avoids a whole heap of frustration!

japitts 26-08-2014 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35724275)
Yes according to the forum the main issue is resolved and they are meant to be dealing with the problems now on case by case

That's how I understand it.. We moved from V+ to TiVo just over a month ago now, saw big improvements around the time that the "national issue" got resolved, but it still struggled on HD streaming mainly at peak times.

Much forum ping-pong later, and an SNR issue has been raised. We've seen steady improvements since. Still not 100% yet but...

Mr K 26-08-2014 21:54

I've got a Tivo and a VHD box so feel i can compare. Gave up on Tivo a long time ago for catch up because of buffering - particularly HD at peak times. Works perfectly on the VHD and in better quality, however they are now running that down and withdrawn HD programmes altogether. Gave the iplayer on Tivo a go again tonight for a programme that wasn't on the VHD (Match of the Day 50th thing) - worked ok for 20 secs and then the buffering started. Reports of buffering on the support forum get ignored and VM's hired posters ridicule you for making such a fuss and there is no problem as their service is perfect - I suspect they haven't tried to watch HD programmes at peak times. So VM's strategy seems to be axe the good service and put more punters on the overly congested one, makes sense to someone, somewhere.....

Tivo is so slow compared to the VHD aswell -its overly bloated with apps that don't work properly or nobody uses. If anything they should migrate the software from the VHD onto Tivo rather than the other way round .

RobboEdin 27-08-2014 09:44

Who are these 'VM's hired posters'?

Are they Virgin Media employees?

jb66 27-08-2014 10:19

I think he is referring to the superusers on the community forum

steveh 27-08-2014 10:29

It was a BBC decision to require all services to use the same IP-based architecture for iPlayer, not Virgin's, and it sounds like work is now taking place to improve things.

The next major release of the TiVo software is supposed to fix the speed issues by replacing the interface layer that caused most of the sluggishness.

(Personally I still think the TiVo UI is a trainwreck filled with inconsistencies and bad practice that would have Steve Jobs spinning in his grave, but eventually you get used to it for the everyday things...)

RobboEdin 27-08-2014 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35724570)
I think he is referring to the superusers on the community forum

...so what's Mr_K's problem with them? They seem to be high up in the Helpful Answers and Kudos list which presumably means that many find them reliable and accurate.

jb66 27-08-2014 11:30

Some are helpful, some are fanbois, some are copy and paste warriors.

We have all 3 in this thread
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...x/td-p/2327367

japitts 29-08-2014 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35724275)

Unfortunately... telephone-CS are still utterly adamant that the global fault is still active, and they refuse to log individual issues. VM Support Forum adamant of the opposite but take several days to respond.

And therein lies another current problem.

Gavin-D 29-08-2014 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35724997)
Unfortunately... telephone-CS are still utterly adamant that the global fault is still active, and they refuse to log individual issues. VM Support Forum adamant of the opposite but take several days to respond.

And therein lies another current problem.

Having viewed the forum for a few weeks now they don't even be appearing to respond to the main iPlayer problems thread now the last reply from the admin was August 13th

Gavin-D 03-09-2014 10:06

In relation to a post by uk_viewer on VM's support forum Kath F posted this

Hi uk_viewer,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with this.

We are aware of many people having an issue with the service but after speaking with the BBC, any known issue has been resolved. They have suggested this is down to an individual fault.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...458619#M101335

So does this mean that everyone how has a problem still will be treated as an individual fault? if so they'll have a lot of individual faults to resolve going by the amount of complaints they still get

OLD BOY 03-09-2014 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35726214)
In relation to a post by uk_viewer on VM's support forum Kath F posted this

Hi uk_viewer,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with this.

We are aware of many people having an issue with the service but after speaking with the BBC, any known issue has been resolved. They have suggested this is down to an individual fault.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...458619#M101335

This admission on the VM support forum is very useful and should assist customers to have their concerns taken seriously.

However, I think that this will not be properly resolved until the VM update has been rolled out and the new BBC i-Player is installed on the Tivos later this year.

japitts 03-09-2014 17:20

One thing I'm increasingly curious by though, and probably wouldn't have been but for this issue.

For some people, it seems there is no problem whatsoever with TiVo streaming apps, for others it seems all but unusable. Personally, HD at peak times is prone to stuttering, but otherwise it's generally ok.

However... anyone who's saying it's unusable, consistently says that using their normal VM broadband but watching via other routes (PC, xbox etc) is fine. So... if the TiVos have dedicated modems built in which should be quite capable of the speeds required.. HD is, what, 3-4Mb/s, SD nearer 2.. does this mean the TiVo traffic is routed differently over the network once it goes "down the pipe".. it must be?

spiderplant 03-09-2014 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35726244)
However, I think that this will not be properly resolved until the VM update has been rolled out and the new BBC i-Player is installed on the Tivos later this year.

It's not software related. The problems are all down to network congestion, which explains why it only affects some people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35726277)
does this mean the TiVo traffic is routed differently over the network once it goes "down the pipe".. it must be?

The majority of modems use DOCSIS3 and the majority of TiVos use DOCSIS1, so they are using different frequencies and talking to different equipment in the hubsite. One can be congested and the other not.

andy_m 04-09-2014 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35726319)
It's not software related. The problems are all down to network congestion, which explains why it only affects some people.

The majority of modems use DOCSIS3 and the majority of TiVos use DOCSIS1, so they are using different frequencies and talking to different equipment in the hubsite. One can be congested and the other not.

So it's not network congestion, it's that TiVo is using a congested part of the network, in simple terms?

I've twice this week found iPlayer unusable through my new TiVo, a problem I never before experienced before the box swap. Every other device I've used - because the TiVo has been dreadful - has been faultless.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Incidentally, my Anywhere app no longer seems able to display my shows, saying it can't find my new TiVo on the network, despite correctly displaying its name and storage % used elsewhere in the app.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Anyone having problems this survey http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/2375611 is on the help and support forum. I've filled it out. According to Virgin the Beeb are saying that there are no issues, but Virgin are well aware that this isn't the case so are trying to collect information to back this up and have the issue re-raised as a fault. Best to work with them, I would say...

OLD BOY 04-09-2014 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35726319)

Thank you for that clarification, spiderplant.

However, I'm still a little confused. I have had quite a few issues with the i-Player at times - mainly when watching in HD, but Netflix works fine, with no stuttering or anything, and the picture is good too.

Why is this congestion affecting one app and not the other? And given that congestion is the problem, have Virgin got any plans to deal with this in terms of capacity or better technology?

Gavin-D 04-09-2014 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35726422)
Thank you for that clarification, spiderplant.

However, I'm still a little confused. I have had quite a few issues with the i-Player at times - mainly when watching in HD, but Netflix works fine, with no stuttering or anything, and the picture is good too.

Why is this congestion affecting one app and not the other? And given that congestion is the problem, have Virgin got any plans to deal with this in terms of capacity or better technology?

The problem we still have is VM are blaming the beeb and the beeb are saying its VM's fault

Kath_F posted this last night on the support forum

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

Huw is working hard on getting this issue re raised and his doing his best to get this resolved.

It's the BBC who have advised us there is no issue and that we should be investigating individual issues. We disagree and as such have set up the survey here to see how many people are actually having problems.

Huw is collecting all information ready to present to the team the number of people having this problem without any issues on their lines.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...459931#M101438

So until they stop blaming each other and find a solution this will not get resolved

andy_m 04-09-2014 13:20

Surely an admission that there is at least a problem is a start? Everyone should fill out the survey if they're having problems.

spiderplant 04-09-2014 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35726422)
I have had quite a few issues with the i-Player at times - mainly when watching in HD, but Netflix works fine, with no stuttering or anything, and the picture is good too.

Why is this congestion affecting one app and not the other? And given that congestion is the problem

Netflix seems more tolerant. I suspect they have a wider range of bit-rates available, and may also use a bigger buffer in the STB which helps hide the problem.

Quote:

have Virgin got any plans to deal with this in terms of capacity or better technology?
Yes, network upgrades happen continually.

jb66 04-09-2014 19:47

I reckon the bandwidth is fluctuating and the netflix app has a bigger buffer to cope with it

OLD BOY 05-09-2014 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35726455)
Netflix seems more tolerant. I suspect they have a wider range of bit-rates available, and may also use a bigger buffer in the STB which helps hide the problem.

Yes, network upgrades happen continually.

In which case, I live in hope that the big upgrade we are expecting later this autumn will resolve this issue. It really doesn't show VM in a good light, so the sooner it is sorted, the better.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35726505)
I reckon the bandwidth is fluctuating and the netflix app has a bigger buffer to cope with it

Additionally, the quality of the picture on Netflix can adjust to the bandwidth, so maybe this increased sophistication is what sets it apart from the BBC i-Player.

Gavin-D 09-10-2014 09:33

After months of problems the service status page has the following

You might find that some of your apps such as iPlayer & Youtube are either a bit slow to load or Freezing/Buffering at the moment on your TiVo® service.

Fault Reported on : 09:47AM Tuesday 7 October

We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.

Estimated Fix time: 06:00PM Thursday 9 October - though this was Tuesday, then yesterday and now today so basically it keeps changing

japitts 09-10-2014 09:43

Gavin,

I've had the same. The fault log in my case is a different one to that given by VM Support on their forum - but the text is exactly the same, as is the (current) fix time.

I'm in North-Bristol fringe.

Gavin-D 09-10-2014 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35733996)
Gavin,

I've had the same. The fault log in my case is a different one to that given by VM Support on their forum - but the text is exactly the same, as is the (current) fix time.

I'm in North-Bristol fringe.

Maybe we are finally getting somewhere after months of problems, saying that I used the iplayer last night and it played fine even in HD

Gavin-D 09-10-2014 14:20

All clear on the service status page only time will tell whether the iplayer is fixed

Mad Max 09-10-2014 17:09

It's basically pretty crap imo, can only hope theses updates resolve the problems, doesn't shed a very good light on Virgin though.

OLD BOY 09-10-2014 21:28

Looks like it's back up and running again. Just watched Andrew Marr in HD and no glitches!

If it's still not working for you, re-boot your box and it should now be fine.

Mad Max 09-10-2014 21:52

Quote:

Just watched Andrew Marr in HD and no glitches!
Apart from Andrew Marr of course....:D

adzii_nufc 12-10-2014 15:44

Trying to watch now but just getting server error crap and constant buffering. YouTube and Netflix work perfectly fine though.

spj20016 12-10-2014 17:29

Anyone still having BBC Iplayer problems can you please fill out the survey on the VM Community forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/2375611 because they are saying only a few customers have filled it in which hasn't given them enough information. Thanks

Mr K 13-10-2014 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by spj20016 (Post 35734854)
Anyone still having BBC Iplayer problems can you please fill out the survey on the VM Community forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/2375611 because they are saying only a few customers have filled it in which hasn't given them enough information. Thanks

Perhaps if they put it on VM's webpages, or on TiVo itself rather than hidden away on a forum they might get a better response.

japitts 13-10-2014 09:35

The more I think about it, the more VM seem to be treating the whole iPlayer/local network congestion thing very reactively.

In my case if I hadn't nagged CS continually over a period of weeks, I don't get the feeling the congestion would have been logged anywhere near as quickly as it was. Obviously I don't know the nature of the fix in my area, but I'm left wondering if VM Networks were a bit more proactive about congestion triggers being breached, would things get logged (and ultimately fixed) quicker.

Perhaps I'm just being too simplistic, and the problem is communication within CS. Then there were the ping problems last week... a fault log wasn't exactly forthcoming then!

steveh 13-10-2014 09:59

For me HD is always the problem and given that iPlayer on TiVo defaults to SD every time many viewers are probably only using that or have given up on HD based on past poor performance of it.

spj20016 13-10-2014 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35734945)
Perhaps if they put it on VM's webpages, or on TiVo itself rather than hidden away on a forum they might get a better response.

That's what needs to be done, they seem to think customers who have a problem go to the VM Community forum which I would not think most do. And I doubt customers who phone them to complain about the BBC Iplayer get told to go to the VM Community forum to fill out the survey. They can put advertisements up quick enough on TiVo so I am sure that they can put the survey details up. These problems have gone on for months now if not years so it's about time they sort it out.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

It's so inconsistent too, last night I watched last weeks antique roadshow at around 9pm in HD and it played perfect right the way through but on Friday I tried to watch our zoo at 3pm in the afternoon and it started freezing immediately on HD and SD. You think it is finally fixed and then it starts freezing again.

steveh 13-10-2014 11:20

It's the nature of congestion that it is inconsistent. You have no way of knowing what else is going on in the network at the same time - 3pm might seem like a quiet time but that day thousands of parents in your area might have arbitrarily decided to plop their kids in front of CBeebies shows on iPlayer.

spj20016 13-10-2014 12:10

The thing is VM don't seem to want to admit that it's a congestion problem.

OLD BOY 13-10-2014 12:16

If everyone who continues to have problems with the BBC i-Player rang Virgin to complain, the sheer numbers should prompt them to do something. A lot of people have just been putting up with it.

Having said that, I've had no further problems with it since they 'fixed' the problem a few days ago.

007stuart 13-10-2014 13:06

Gave up using IPlayer on TIVO and now Chromecast IPlayer to my TV and all is well. That tells me it's VM's problem

OLD BOY 14-10-2014 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35735008)
Gave up using IPlayer on TIVO and now Chromecast IPlayer to my TV and all is well. That tells me it's VM's problem

It sounds as though it might have been a congestion problem, but who knows? The problem seems to be fixed for me now, so keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way!

mistermcg 05-11-2014 01:48

Hi all. Just found this forum. I changed to a TIVO box when they first came out. NEVER has my BBCi Player worked on it properly. VM have changed my box several times had engineers here, upscaled the complaint etc but it has reached the point that i just dont watch bbc progs on catch up. Everything was perfect with my VHD and to be honest I wish I'd never upgraded to TIVO (worst decision I ever made). I was advised a long time ago that it was a BBC issue and was advised that it would be fixed by June 2013. Never happened. I emailed the BBC also with no joy. Only came across this forum now as I decided to complain to Watchdog about the BBC :-). So sent a complaint into them and did a search for other comments about people having the same problems and low and behold here I am. I have now also filled in the survey form for VM but was never aware of that from anywhere (especially VM). Problem appears a bit more prevalent now. I do hope they can get the thing sorted as I agree with all comments BBCiplayer works fine on all other platforms such as PC or NowTV box on my TV upstairs but all other catch up services and streaming from 4OD, ITV, Channel5 etc all work very well on TIVO. Gees thats been a bit of a long spiel. Sorry :rolleyes:

OLD BOY 05-11-2014 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermcg (Post 35739138)
Hi all. Just found this forum. I changed to a TIVO box when they first came out. NEVER has my BBCi Player worked on it properly. VM have changed my box several times had engineers here, upscaled the complaint etc but it has reached the point that i just dont watch bbc progs on catch up. Everything was perfect with my VHD and to be honest I wish I'd never upgraded to TIVO (worst decision I ever made). I was advised a long time ago that it was a BBC issue and was advised that it would be fixed by June 2013. Never happened. I emailed the BBC also with no joy. Only came across this forum now as I decided to complain to Watchdog about the BBC :-). So sent a complaint into them and did a search for other comments about people having the same problems and low and behold here I am. I have now also filled in the survey form for VM but was never aware of that from anywhere (especially VM). Problem appears a bit more prevalent now. I do hope they can get the thing sorted as I agree with all comments BBCiplayer works fine on all other platforms such as PC or NowTV box on my TV upstairs but all other catch up services and streaming from 4OD, ITV, Channel5 etc all work very well on TIVO. Gees thats been a bit of a long spiel. Sorry :rolleyes:

We feel your frustration! Good luck with your campaign. :)

japitts 12-11-2014 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35734989)
If everyone who continues to have problems with the BBC i-Player rang Virgin to complain, the sheer numbers should prompt them to do something. A lot of people have just been putting up with it.

Having said that, I've had no further problems with it since they 'fixed' the problem a few days ago.

I was given a fix date of 12th November for my DOCSIS-1 peak-time congestion..apparently the work has been done but it's not done the trick, now the end of Q1 2015 by all accounts.. The jury's out on whether I can reliably stream in HD at peak times.

Mr K 13-11-2014 16:31

The latest episode of the Gadget Show has compared Sky,VM and BT's boxes. Tivo didn't fare very well with the interface being described as 'clunky' (even after the latest update)and the iPlayer being highlighted as a major issue which VM haven't solved (where it works fine on other platforms).
http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-ga.../episode-9-342 (about 8 minutes in)
Strange VM don't seem to acknowledge the widespread issue and keep putting this down to individual faults.

Beginning to think this problem has been going on for so long ( ie years) that there isn't a solution and Tivo will never handle iPlayer. Either we'll have to wait for a new box, or VM will have to reconsider how they deliver catch up for BBC programmes. The Sky Box seems to download programmes before playing, couldn't Tivo be configured to do this ?

spiderplant 13-11-2014 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35740830)
Strange VM don't seem to acknowledge the widespread issue and keep putting this down to individual faults.

That's because they are individual faults. I really wish it was one fault. It's much easier to fix one than lots of them.

Quote:

Beginning to think this problem has been going on for so long ( ie years) that there isn't a solution and Tivo will never handle iPlayer. Either we'll have to wait for a new box, or VM will have to reconsider how they deliver catch up for BBC programmes.

The network needs fixing, not the TiVo.

Quote:

The Sky Box seems to download programmes before playing, couldn't Tivo be configured to do this ?

Probably, but it's the wrong solution.

Mr K 13-11-2014 21:22

The problems with iPlayer have been ongoing for years on Tivo. If it's network related that's more than enough time to invest and fix the problems. iPlayer issues seem to be becoming more common (as more get Tivo?).

I sense a head in the sand attitude from VM. Making it all plum coloured isn't going to fix things or fool anybody. Hopefully this weeks Gadget Show 'outing' of Tivo's failings will spark some action; not holding my breath....

OLD BOY 14-11-2014 13:09

I'm just clinging on to the hope that the revamped i-Player will cure the problem, but I'm not placing any money on it.

This is really urgent now, it is not doing Virgin's reputation much good not being able to show this important VOD facility when all the other operators seem to be able to do it.

Mobes 14-11-2014 13:24

I had exactly the same BBCi issues a few months back and they went on for 4 or 5 months.

Then all of a sudden about a month ago they disappeared.

Very strange.

spiderplant 14-11-2014 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35741011)
I had exactly the same BBCi issues a few months back and they went on for 4 or 5 months.

Then all of a sudden about a month ago they disappeared.

Very strange.

Sounds like the network in your area was upgraded. :tu:

yorkshireborn 24-11-2014 22:49

BBCiplayer is unwatchable on TiVo all virgin say is ongoing problem but upstairs on the V+ box no problem at all all though not all programs are on like on the TiVo.

OLD BOY 25-11-2014 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkshireborn (Post 35742999)
BBCiplayer is unwatchable on TiVo all virgin say is ongoing problem but upstairs on the V+ box no problem at all all though not all programs are on like on the TiVo.

It's not the same version of the iplayer on the V+.

I think you should report it, because if as spiderplant says the problem is congestion, I expect they wait for people to report problems before they act on it.

spiderplant 25-11-2014 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35743082)
I think you should report it, because if as spiderplant says the problem is congestion, I expect they wait for people to report problems before they act on it.

Not at all, we have lots of network monitoring and know where the problems are.

OLD BOY 25-11-2014 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35743088)
Not at all, we have lots of network monitoring and know where the problems are.

That's reeassuring, spiderplant. However, are Virgin actually getting on with resolving this problem? I do understand that if there are different problems in different parts of the network, this will take longer to resolve, but is there an end in sight?

Mobes 25-11-2014 12:47

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35741068)
Sounds like the network in your area was upgraded. :tu:

Im LU postcode Spider... I hope I have been :)

heavyside 25-11-2014 13:54

In the recent past I've suffered dreadful problems with BBC iPlayer on TiVo with any HD programme impossible to watch and complained. For the last week or so the problem seems to have been fixed in my area (London). Somebody out there must be listening.

spiderplant 26-11-2014 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35743089)
That's reeassuring, spiderplant. However, are Virgin actually getting on with resolving this problem? I do understand that if there are different problems in different parts of the network, this will take longer to resolve, but is there an end in sight?

Virgin are getting on with it, but while usage continues to grow there will be no end. Areas get fixed and other areas become congested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35743090)
Im LU postcode Spider... I hope I have been :)

I expect there have been many upgrades in the LU postcode area. The problems are very localised. Each one only affects a few streets.

japitts 26-11-2014 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35743403)
I expect there have been many upgrades in the LU postcode area. The problems are very localised. Each one only affects a few streets.

Interesting, so presumably down to a few too many TiVo users connected to individual cabinets, rather than across a UBR as a whole (probably got the terminology wrong!)

I guess this means that not many TiVo-10Mb capacity issues need the more-drastic fixes of new ducting/cabinets etc then. That's good, seeing as the fix-date I was given previously apparently slipped - and I've been struggling to get sensible updates so far :-(

spiderplant 27-11-2014 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35743419)
Interesting, so presumably down to a few too many TiVo users connected to individual cabinets, rather than across a UBR as a whole (probably got the terminology wrong!)

It's actually at the CMTS interface card level. (I don't call them UBRs any more, as that's Cisco's proprietary name, and we now also use Arris and Motorola ones)

Mr K 27-11-2014 11:36

If areas are over-congested wouldn't it be sensible to put a hold on signing new victims up ? It would have been better to upgrade the network first before expanding. Maybe not profitable in the short term but in the long term it would pay off.

Mr K 09-12-2014 22:27

iPlayer still buffers on the pile of junk that is Tivo. Customers with complaints are still being directed to a survey that has been ongoing for over 5 months in an effort to keep them quiet.

I try to avoid using iPlayer on Tivo these days. I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't. Never mind I thought I'll give iPlayer on Tivo a go - silly me !

jb66 09-12-2014 22:33

The survey Feels like a stalling measure rather than to discover a solution. If the tivo cdns can't handle the load let us ethernet our hubs to use that connection

RobboEdin 09-12-2014 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35745924)
iPlayer still buffers on the pile of junk that is Tivo. Customers with complaints are still being directed to a survey that has been ongoing for over 5 months in an effort to keep them quiet.

I try to avoid using iPlayer on Tivo these days. I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't. Never mind I thought I'll give iPlayer on Tivo a go - silly me !

If it's the last episode of Intruders, it's repeated on Thursday 00:20 if I remember correctly. Set a standalone recording on your TiVo to catch it.

heavyside 10-12-2014 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35745924)
I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't.

This happened to me, too. The TiVo is supposed to have this amazing ability to record an alternate showing of any programme it's unable to record first time around but in this instance the TiVo believed that it had recorded the final episode of Intruders. If I hadn't noticed this before the repeat went out or while it was still available on iPlayer I would have missed the final episode of a series I had been following and enjoying.

This is a serious shortcoming that should be addressed in the next software update IMO.

warrenb 10-12-2014 10:42

Just downloaded the IPlayer App for Xbox One and it is superb, really fast with no issues at all. Takes a 5 seconds to load.

heavyside 10-12-2014 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrenb (Post 35745987)
Just downloaded the IPlayer App for Xbox One and it is superb, really fast with no issues at all. Takes a 5 seconds to load.

This doesn't address the problem, Warrenb.

warrenb 10-12-2014 11:44

No but it shows that it is an issue with the Tivo rather than a network issue, unless it is to do with the dedicated 10mb connection of the Tivo.

heavyside 10-12-2014 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrenb (Post 35746007)
No but it shows that it is an issue with the Tivo rather than a network issue, unless it is to do with the dedicated 10mb connection of the Tivo.

The problem is the TiVo's inability to recognise that it hasn't recorded a programme due to an unanticipated schedule change and to record an alternative in its place. I think that only a dynamic EPG would solve that problem.

muppetman11 10-12-2014 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrenb (Post 35746007)

Not really , doesn't your home BB operate on DOCSIS 3 as opposed to the TIVO modem which uses DOCSIS 1 ?

Didn't spider say the buffering is being caused by congestion in some areas on DOCSIS 1.

Could be wrong I'm sure he'll explain.

spiderplant 10-12-2014 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35746015)
Didn't spider say the buffering is being caused by congestion in some areas on DOCSIS 1.

I did.

japitts 20-12-2014 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35743403)

It does seem Virgin are really taking their time fixing our area, sadly. The app does seem a lot better at dealing with congestion when it happens, and maybe the new HTML5 app will improve things.

But in terms of how long it's taking VM to fix the underlying issue - I am beginning to wonder whether my area is not as straightforward as some others.

Stephen 20-12-2014 13:41

Wonder if things will improve once the html5 app gets released?

japitts 22-12-2014 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35747722)
Wonder if things will improve once the html5 app gets released?

I can see it improving things "at the edges" if perhaps a different codec or bitrate is used.. but time'll tell with these things!

japitts 22-12-2014 11:35

Hate replying to my own posts :-(

I've just had a response on the VM support forum, that the congestion in my area now has a review date of March 2015, the third fault ref I've had for it. So from getting TiVo installed in July 2014 and reporting problems pretty much since the start...

Mad Max 23-12-2014 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35747895)
Hate replying to my own posts :-(

I've just had a response on the VM support forum, that the congestion in my area now has a review date of March 2015, the third fault ref I've had for it. So from getting TiVo installed in July 2014 and reporting problems pretty much since the start...

That's totally unacceptable, shame on you Virgin!

OLD BOY 23-12-2014 15:40

Yes, that is pretty poor. If it's a problem relating to congestion, you wouldn't have thought it would take so long to increase capacity.

Having said that, maybe the way the system was set up needs unscrambling, which could take longer than resolving a more straight forward problem. Still, having to wait three months does seem excessive.

clumsymum 04-01-2015 19:41

Sorry to Hi-jack this, but seems relevant, rather than starting a whole new thread. We have NEVER had satisfactory iPlayer use on our Tivo over the 2 years + we have had it (including 2 replacement units), and mid last year gave up and bought a smart Blu-ray player which is SUPERB, never stutters or struggles at all on iPlayer (and gets Amazon instant video as well).

our contract is up in February, I'm really thinking of just chucking out VM TV. We pay a lot of money for an unsatisfactory service, and VM customer service just don't care. So I think I might have to suffer a little and lose a few channels (such as Gold), but save a lot of money AND frustration by not using the Tivo

Oh, and it spontaneously re-boots itself mid-program - which meant it lost us the last 10 minutes of recording Esio Trot on New years day !! Fortunately we could watch it on iPlayer on the Blu-ray player we have bought - but really, the Tivo is chuffing pointless now...

japitts 07-01-2015 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35748254)
Yes, that is pretty poor. If it's a problem relating to congestion, you wouldn't have thought it would take so long to increase capacity.

Having said that, maybe the way the system was set up needs unscrambling, which could take longer than resolving a more straight forward problem. Still, having to wait three months does seem excessive.

It now turns out that our broadband-proper is also beginning to suffer at peak times, and has a utilisation fault logged against it. Buy one-get-one-free :-(

OLD BOY 08-01-2015 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by clumsymum (Post 35750333)
Sorry to Hi-jack this, but seems relevant, rather than starting a whole new thread. We have NEVER had satisfactory iPlayer use on our Tivo over the 2 years + we have had it (including 2 replacement units), and mid last year gave up and bought a smart Blu-ray player which is SUPERB, never stutters or struggles at all on iPlayer (and gets Amazon instant video as well).

our contract is up in February, I'm really thinking of just chucking out VM TV. We pay a lot of money for an unsatisfactory service, and VM customer service just don't care. So I think I might have to suffer a little and lose a few channels (such as Gold), but save a lot of money AND frustration by not using the Tivo

Oh, and it spontaneously re-boots itself mid-program - which meant it lost us the last 10 minutes of recording Esio Trot on New years day !! Fortunately we could watch it on iPlayer on the Blu-ray player we have bought - but really, the Tivo is chuffing pointless now...

What do Customer Services say about your complaint? They should be taking it seriously as it is a problem for so many people and it needs dealing with.

Joedm45 08-01-2015 13:01

I must admit to using the TiVo iPlayer app for the first time in two years last night and although it loaded up reasonably quickly, once I started watching the show all I got was the dreaded spinning circle.

I gave up after a minute and switched to my TV's app which worked perfectly. Can't say I'll be trying the TiVo app again in the future. If anything I'm doing my bit to ease congestion in my area :p:

OLD BOY 09-01-2015 12:38

Is anyone actually able to use their i-Player during the evening without interruption? It's been horrendous in my area recently.

Also, does anyone know when we are getting the new version of i-Player? I'm still hoping this will resolve the main issues at least. I thought this was coming before Christmas, but I guess they didn't say which Christmas. :rolleyes:

spiderplant 09-01-2015 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35751444)
Is anyone actually able to use their i-Player during the evening without interruption?

Yes.

Quote:

Also, does anyone know when we are getting the new version of i-Player?

No release date has been announced AFAIAA.

Quote:

I thought this was coming before Christmas, but I guess they didn't say which Christmas. :rolleyes:

Who are "they"? I can't find timescales mentioned by VM. Just a BBC blog from last May that said "We are hoping to bring this to YouView and Virgin Media TiVo devices this year".

OLD BOY 09-01-2015 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35751462)

Who are "they"? I can't find timescales mentioned by VM. Just a BBC blog from last May that said "We are hoping to bring this to YouView and Virgin Media TiVo devices this year".

I don't know, Spiderplant but I read it somewhere. I don't think it was a blog, I thought it was the BBC - however it was a few months ago and I've forgotten now.