Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   BSOD new build (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709240)

ThunderPants73 23-07-2020 15:49

BSOD new build

Hi,

I recently built a new PC which seemed to go smoothly, however, in this last week I've had the following issues:

1. BIOS seemed to reset to default.
2. BSOD with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error
3. BSOD with MEMORY_MANANGEMENT error

The first one seemed to happen shortly after a Win 10 update.
The BSODs have only happened once each (so far), when playing on a game. Has anyone had a similar experience? I do wonder if it's all linked to the update. I have the following:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Carth 23-07-2020 17:35

Re: BSOD new build

Seems as though it's when under heavy load (gaming).

easy check is if the CPU, RAM, GFX are correctly seated, and the air flow through the PC is sufficient.

After that it's probably a case of checking error files . . .

hang on, Windows 10 . . . has the update 'updated' your graphics/sound drivers to the wrong ones? . . or something similar?

Paul 23-07-2020 19:42

Have a read ;

https://windowsreport.com/pfn_list_corrupt-windows-10/

ThunderPants73 23-07-2020 21:35

No idea what's going on here but here's the latest:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

ThunderPants73 24-07-2020 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36044433)
Seems as though it's when under heavy load (gaming).

easy check is if the CPU, RAM, GFX are correctly seated, and the air flow through the PC is sufficient.

After that it's probably a case of checking error files . . .

hang on, Windows 10 . . . has the update 'updated' your graphics/sound drivers to the wrong ones? . . or something similar?

I got the memory_management error again, while I was Googling for a solution so it's not just while gaming. I've run Heaven and Furmark and eveything went fine. I checked my update history and no new drivers have been installed. I have 2 fans pulling in air from the front, and 1 back, 1 top exhausts. During the Furmark test, GPU temp had a high of 64 deg C. I also don't think it's a PSU issue as I have an EVGA 1000w. It's taking a lot longer to post as well.

Carth 24-07-2020 10:54

I'd try to eliminate things one by one, and I'd start with GFX drivers myself.

What I personally would do, is remove the GFX drivers, then install the ones that came with the GFX card and see how it goes.

Same with audio/lan drivers if the GFX didn't solve anything . . . in fact reinstall all Mobo drivers from the disc that came with it . . just to hopefully eliminate driver issues from the problem.

Did you install any software on or about the time of the Windows update, giving a possible conflict somewhere?

I used to run Avast antivirus for years, but when I updated to Win 7 ultimate it caused BSOD randomly . . took a while to fathom it out . . no problems since binning Avast . . bloody computers :rolleyes:

ThunderPants73 24-07-2020 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36044498)
I'd try to eliminate things one by one, and I'd start with GFX drivers myself.

What I personally would do, is remove the GFX drivers, then install the ones that came with the GFX card and see how it goes.

Same with audio/lan drivers if the GFX didn't solve anything . . . in fact reinstall all Mobo drivers from the disc that came with it . . just to hopefully eliminate driver issues from the problem.

Did you install any software on or about the time of the Windows update, giving a possible conflict somewhere?

I used to run Avast antivirus for years, but when I updated to Win 7 ultimate it caused BSOD randomly . . took a while to fathom it out . . no problems since binning Avast . . bloody computers :rolleyes:

I'm starting to wonder if whatever caused the BIOS to reset to defaults is responsible for all of this, since the BSODS only started after that. Why would the BIOS revert to default settings on it's own?

heero_yuy 24-07-2020 11:36

I know it's a new build but worth checking the voltage of the battery that keeps the CMOS alive just in case it's a dud.

downquark1 24-07-2020 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 36044500)
I'm starting to wonder if whatever caused the BIOS to reset to defaults is responsible for all of this, since the BSODS only started after that. Why would the BIOS revert to default settings on it's own?

A BIOS can do this if the BIOS was updated, the internal battery runs out or it detects some problem. I would check the BIOS is the latest version from the motherboard manufacturer.

Maybe run a memory test (takes a long time) and reseat the memory if there is an error.

ThunderPants73 27-07-2020 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36044504)
A BIOS can do this if the BIOS was updated, the internal battery runs out or it detects some problem. I would check the BIOS is the latest version from the motherboard manufacturer.

Maybe run a memory test (takes a long time) and reseat the memory if there is an error.

I did a fresh install yesterday and updated the BIOS today. I have memtest86 to run if the problem hasn't been resolved. Baby steps....

Thanks.

Kushan 01-08-2020 00:56

Check your RAM is on the QVL for your motherbord. I had similar issues with my Gigabyte X399 board and it turned out to be incompatible RAM.

Another test: Don't run the XMP profile for your RAM (3200Mhz), run it at the default clock and see how that goes (yes it'll hurt performance but this is just a test).

ThunderPants73 01-08-2020 18:10

I updated the BIOS. So far, no more BSODs. Now if I could just get my CPU cooler fans to stop revving every two seconds I'd be chuffed. Got fans set to silent, but still (almost) quietly revving.

Dave42 01-08-2020 18:13

check that your amd chipset drivers are up to date