Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Picture Quality changes on V6 recently? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705905)

bolgerp 08-01-2018 11:47

Picture Quality changes on V6 recently?

Hi all

This might just be me and my middle aged eyes but has anyone noticed a change in picture quality from their V6 recently?

Up until the middle of last week, the quality seemed fine but then both myself and the other half noticed there was a change in skin tone and the white balance. Whites seemed to "glow" with almost a halo and skin tones became very pale. I have tried making adjustments on my tv's picture settings but I cannot get it quite right to where it was.

I thought it might have been my TV at first (although it's almost new and I hadn't made any changes to the settings since I did a proper calibration when I set it up) but I checked other inputs (i.e. inbuilt Netflix/Amazon apps and my Apple TV etc) and they are still perfect and as they always have been, so my suspicion was that it was the V6 box.

I replaced the HDMI cable with a new one but that hasn't made any difference.

So, before I start a proper recalibration of the tv, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced similar?

oliver1948uk 08-01-2018 12:33

Re: Picture Quality changes on V6 recently?

I have the original Tivo box and have thought in the last week or two that the picture quality had deteriorated, but it is difficult to be sure.

spiderplant 08-01-2018 12:42

Is this affecting all channels / apps?

Could your TV have done a firmware update?

bolgerp 08-01-2018 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35931537)
Is this affecting all channels / apps?

Could your TV have done a firmware update?

Nope... it's only affecting the V6 (or certainly from what I can see)... I have an AV Receiver connected to my TV and then the other equipment connected to the amp via HDMI.

The internal TV apps, like Netflix and Amazon, are still as they were, quality wise. My Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI to the amp is also still perfect, so by deduction, there's either something wrong with the V6 or the picture quality has changed, maybe? Just a theory at this stage... will do a recalibration of the TV later tonight...

Joedm45 08-01-2018 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolgerp (Post 35931541)
Nope... it's only affecting the V6 (or certainly from what I can see)... I have an AV Receiver connected to my TV and then the other equipment connected to the amp via HDMI.

The internal TV apps, like Netflix and Amazon, are still as they were, quality wise. My Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI to the amp is also still perfect, so by deduction, there's either something wrong with the V6 or the picture quality has changed, maybe? Just a theory at this stage... will do a recalibration of the TV later tonight...

My V6 used to play up a bit but Thankfully hasn't for a while. The display settings used to reset to its lowest resolution, might be worth checking that in the V6 settings menu before re-calibrating your TV, especially if every other device is working fine.

The tell tale sign for mine is that the on screen graphics was very 'grainy' and not as sharp as usual if that makes sense. Each time I noticed this, the display settings were not set to 1080p anymore. I can't remember the exact place in the menu it is though, sorry.

bolgerp 08-01-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35931543)
My V6 used to play up a bit but Thankfully hasn't for a while. The display settings used to reset to its lowest resolution, might be worth checking that in the V6 settings menu before re-calibrating your TV, especially if every other device is working fine.

The tell tale sign for mine is that the on screen graphics was very 'grainy' and not as sharp as usual if that makes sense. Each time I noticed this, the display settings were not set to 1080p anymore. I can't remember the exact place in the menu it is though, sorry.

Thanks Joe... I did check the video settings but they are as they were previously. I did "reset" them again just to see but it didn't help unfortunately :-(

spiderplant 08-01-2018 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolgerp (Post 35931541)

It's still possible it was triggered by a TV firmware update. For example, it may only happen on the particular resolution that the V6 is using.

It would also be useful to try without the amp, to see if that is a factor.

There were certainly no V6 software updates last week, and I'm not aware of any changes in the broadcast either.

Are all channels/apps on the V6 affected, or just certain ones?

bolgerp 09-01-2018 08:05

So I recalibrated the picture last night and that seems to have fixed the issues.... I cannot for the life of me think why it changed as no one had changed the TV settings... but we are where we are and it seems to be fixed now.... thanks for all the advice, though!

Joedm45 09-01-2018 10:16

Glad it's sorted bolgerp, one of those random gremlins by the sounds of it

ozsat 09-01-2018 15:11

My Samsung TV reset the picture settings a couple of times after automatic firmware updates.

Also on most tvs, the settings shouild be on a per input setting - so changing them on HDMI1 should not change HDMI2 settings.

Glad its sorted
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolgerp (Post 35931665)
So I recalibrated the picture last night and that seems to have fixed the issues.... I cannot for the life of me think why it changed as no one had changed the TV settings... but we are where we are and it seems to be fixed now.... thanks for all the advice, though!

heero_yuy 09-01-2018 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35931713)
My Samsung TV reset the picture settings a couple of times after automatic firmware updates.

Our Sony also defaults a number of user settings after a software update. The most annoying is the line output to the subwoofer getting unslaved from the volume control.

bolgerp 10-01-2018 12:05

So, looks like there WAS a firmware update last week... I can only assume that it reset the picture settings.... at least I am not going mad.

telepest 10-01-2018 13:33

Can I just say that if you have a 4K tv, your video setting should be 2160, and not 1080 p. In the setting menu there are 3 choices and to make sure it sets correctly give it 3 thumbs up, as directed. Hope this is any help?
Ps, to add to that there are also a number of settings greyed out in this menu. But the v6 should recognise if you are using a 4K tv.

bolgerp 10-01-2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepest (Post 35931825)
Can I just say that if you have a 4K tv, your video setting should be 2160, and not 1080 p. In the setting menu there are 3 choices and to make sure it sets correctly give it 3 thumbs up, as directed. Hope this is any help?
Ps, to add to that there are also a number of settings greyed out in this menu. But the v6 should recognise if you are using a 4K tv.

I have selected multiple video settings (i.e. 1080 and 2160) as I want the TV to upscale, not the V6 box. I have used these video settings previously and they worked fine.