Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33618720)

xspeedyx 31-07-2007 12:21

Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

I have netgear router and use the netgear adaptor and for some strange reason I get 800KB/s off my 10mb connection but when the sacm connect to the pc direct I get the full 10mb and the strange thing is when I use my wirless the adaptor is very close to the router as I only need the wireless for the xbox 360

I have tryed all the channels and still the same

Router Spec

Netgear Router - WGR614 v2 - Telewest Freebe

Adaptor Spec -WG111 - pc World

can someone please help me btw I have a black surfboard as my modem

mrmistoffelees 31-07-2007 12:47

Re: Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34362951)
I have netgear router and use the netgear adaptor and for some strange reason I get 800KB/s off my 10mb connection but when the sacm connect to the pc direct I get the full 10mb and the strange thing is when I use my wirless the adaptor is very close to the router as I only need the wireless for the xbox 360

I have tryed all the channels and still the same

Router Spec

Netgear Router - WGR614 v2 - Telewest Freebe

Adaptor Spec -WG111 - pc World

can someone please help me btw I have a black surfboard as my modem

Ok is 800k per second file download speed or browsing speed ?

Wireless securty WEP/WPA will cause some slowdown on your connection, as will the fact the router is running a stateful packet inspection firewall.

Check to see on the router if respond to ICMP is disabled on the wan port, If so enable it.

From the user manual :-

Configuring WAN Setup OptionsThe WAN Setup options let you configure a DMZ server, change the MTU size and enable the router to respond to a Ping on the WAN port. These options are discussed below

Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port If you want the router to respond to a 'ping' from the Internet, click the ‘Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port’ check box. This should only be used as a diagnostic tool, since it allows your router to be discovered. Don't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/233...0177990_rs.jpg

altis 31-07-2007 14:55

800KB/s sounds reasonably fast for a wireless connection to me.

Try connecting the PC to one of the router's LAN ports with a cable.

xspeedyx 31-07-2007 15:17

800KB/s when I should make out at 1.2mb/s my brpther uses a linksys router and gets full speed but my netgear doesnt wanna give me full speed

mrmistoffelees 31-07-2007 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34363038)
800KB/s when I should make out at 1.2mb/s my brpther uses a linksys router and gets full speed but my netgear doesnt wanna give me full speed

Have you tried the above steps ? and also afterwards did you reboot the router ?

The pure and simple truth is that using wireless you will never sustainably acheive a perfect 1.2mb download speed. You may obtain it some times.

On 20mb downloading from Giganews with 20 connections I see generally between 1.9mb and 2.2mb per second, perhaps twice in the past week have i seen it at 2.4mb and then for only a very very limited time. And my network is running only on MAC filtering and a hidden SSID

Raistlin 31-07-2007 15:25

Are you and your brother operating your routers on the same channel? If you are (and they are in the same house) you may be getting some interference from his router.

xspeedyx 01-08-2007 08:08

My Brother is in a different house and we use the same channel who it be a good idea to upgrade the firmware or mobo is a bit old but supports usb 2.0

sprattgraham 01-08-2007 12:43

Give this a try:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php

xspeedyx 01-08-2007 13:44

but will this help with a wireless connection I really think I should just get a router

altis 01-08-2007 13:50

You already have a router - with LAN ports - just try one!

xspeedyx 01-08-2007 13:57

I meant a new router

mrmistoffelees 01-08-2007 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34363765)
I meant a new router

Have you performed the steps I advised above ? did it make any difference ?

sprattgraham 01-08-2007 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34363040)
Have you tried the above steps ? and also afterwards did you reboot the router ?

The pure and simple truth is that using wireless you will never sustainably acheive a perfect 1.2mb download speed. You may obtain it some times.

On 20mb downloading from Giganews with 20 connections I see generally between 1.9mb and 2.2mb per second, perhaps twice in the past week have i seen it at 2.4mb and then for only a very very limited time. And my network is running only on MAC filtering and a hidden SSID

My wireless can easily do 2.4mbps

mrmistoffelees 01-08-2007 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprattgraham (Post 34363774)
My wireless can easily do 2.4mbps

Fair do's most wont give a constant 2.4mbps

xspeedyx 01-08-2007 15:25

I have tryed all the suggestions but no change I think i might get a linksys or what router u guy recommended