Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky's new non-satellite service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707460)

OLD BOY 05-03-2019 10:09

Sky's new non-satellite service

Sky has launched its new non satellite SVOD service in Europe.

https://www.a516digital.com/2019/03/...e-is.html#more
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...es-in-austria/

Hugh 05-03-2019 12:19

Re: Sky's new non-satellite service

Well, Austria, anyway.....

(I know, I know, it's part of Europe, but there's a huge difference between Europe* and Austria**)

*743 million people

**8.8 million people

OLD BOY 05-03-2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35985383)
Well, Austria, anyway.....

(I know, I know, it's part of Europe, but there's a huge difference between Europe* and Austria**)

*743 million people

**8.8 million people

It will also launch in Italy this year, so this is just the start.

Interesting that they are not offering any skinny packages, which would be pretty popular.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ffering-sky-x/

Chris 05-03-2019 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35985408)
It will also launch in Italy this year, so this is just the start.

Interesting that they are not offering any skinny packages, which would be pretty popular.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ffering-sky-x/

Interesting that you assume they’d be pretty popular when one of the biggest and most experienced service providers on the planet has just taken the decision not to offer them.

OLD BOY 05-03-2019 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35985413)
Interesting that you assume they’d be pretty popular when one of the biggest and most experienced service providers on the planet has just taken the decision not to offer them.

Well, Sky make more money that way, don't they?

jfman 05-03-2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35985463)
Well, Sky make more money that way, don't they?

Do they? You’d think the folks at Sky would be doing it if so. Then it’d have went from a digital marketing myth you peddle on internet forums to a viable, credible and compelling product in reality.

OLD BOY 06-03-2019 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35985472)
Do they? You’d think the folks at Sky would be doing it if so. Then it’d have went from a digital marketing myth you peddle on internet forums to a viable, credible and compelling product in reality.

I think you misunderstood what I posted. I meant that Sky make more money by pricing their services as expensively as they can get away with. Not only that, but the huge quantity of channels offered are really an illusion because so much of the content is pap.

I would prefer not to have channels like Sky 2, Real Lives and Pick from the Sky stable and the vast majority of other channels I don't watch because they are simply a waste of money. However, I have to pay for them just to access the channels I do watch.

Sky could provide fewer, better quality channels without batting an eyelid but they don't consider that to be in their interests. The streaming SVOD services provide much better value for money, so I will be pleased when all the content I want to access is on there.

jfman 06-03-2019 08:22

I think it’s debatable if they are better value for money for the vast majority of people who currently subscribe to a diverse range of content. Even you have conceded elsewhere subscribers don’t want to be paying £5 here and £8 there for half a dozen packages. They like bundles.

OLD BOY 06-03-2019 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35985491)
I think it’s debatable if they are better value for money for the vast majority of people who currently subscribe to a diverse range of content. Even you have conceded elsewhere subscribers don’t want to be paying £5 here and £8 there for half a dozen packages. They like bundles.

That's why I have been of the view that both Sky and Virgin will offer bundles of VOD/streaming services in the future. Glad to see you coming around to my point of view, jfman.:D

jfman 06-03-2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35985495)
That's why I have been of the view that both Sky and Virgin will offer bundles of VOD/streaming services in the future. Glad to see you coming around to my point of view, jfman.:D

Far from. :D

MattGarner 24-03-2019 10:13

Sort of looking forward to this when they hopefully bring it out in the UK. Mainly because we can't get normal Sky and Virgin Media aren't in the area either.

MattGarner 29-05-2019 11:38

My partner got another call from Sky trying to get us to sign up to Sky TV but we can't have it anyway due to line of sight problems. (You would have thought they would have notes about this)

But anyway, they mentioned that a "TV Box" that uses the internet will be out in a few weeks they are waiting on getting enough stock into the country. I assume this is Sky X? Anyone got any more news if they have been testing this in the UK. I know they have been doing some sort of trials in other countries according to articles.

cheekyangus 29-05-2019 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35985495)

VM do a skinny bundle like this in Ireland. A friend over there told me about it the other day.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

This is the VM Ireland offer for non-cabled households my Irish friend told me about recently.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/televisio...ge/freedom-tv/

Can't find much info on the Digital+ HD box it uses.

Stuart 26-06-2019 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattGarner (Post 35996955)
My partner got another call from Sky trying to get us to sign up to Sky TV but we can't have it anyway due to line of sight problems. (You would have thought they would have notes about this)

But anyway, they mentioned that a "TV Box" that uses the internet will be out in a few weeks they are waiting on getting enough stock into the country. I assume this is Sky X? Anyone got any more news if they have been testing this in the UK. I know they have been doing some sort of trials in other countries according to articles.

They may or may not have a note about you having line of sight problems, but the sales people are probably using a different database that has been bought in, and may not marry up properly to their existing database, so any existing notes would not appear on their call lists.

I had a similar problem when I first got Broadband. I'd recieved dozens of calls from ADSL providers, and, because of good reviews rather than a sales call, I went for Be. The Be accepted the order, and said they would notify me when my line was ready to have ADSL added to it. I got a call a few days later saying BT had nixed my order, as they had logged a problem on my line that prevented ADSL installation. The operator at Be couldn't give me any more info as BT had only told Be that there was a problem, no what the problem was. She gave me a number to call. BT, after some explanation, and some pleading (as I was given a phone number only iSPs were supposed to use) said that my line was still logged as not having a socketed connection. They corrected that, and the order went through.

My point is that the Sales people would not have had that information. They are given nothing more than a list of numbers. The people themselves often don't even have a list. The "Sales department" is likely to be an outsourced call centre and they probably don't have a list. They have a database of numbers that the computer system dials, while displaying the details of each callee to the relevant rep. Each call would cost the company pennies, and it's probably cheaper just to call the entire list than it is for the company to vet the list properly and weed out any recipients that can't access the service for whatever reason. Sky (or in my case, BT) can do that later in the process.

OLD BOY 26-06-2019 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattGarner (Post 35996955)

I think Sky X is a skinny bundle, like Now TV. I believe that Sky’s new non-satellite option will be similar to Sky Q, but with recordings to the cloud.