Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710420)

Inactive Digital 15-10-2021 15:52

Re: Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36097389)
The main problem was the TiVo was specced to run Flash. But a few years later Flash had an unexpectedly swift demise and got replaced by Haxe and HTML5, which are more memory-hungry.

TiVo isn't going anywhere any time soon. It is needed for people who have no broadband, no HDMI, or want more than 3 TV boxes.

Thanks for the insight. I remember talk of Haxe now.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the IPTV product when it launches as it could be a potential successor, depending to the breadth of services that will be replicated from the 360. I guess it wouldn't resolve the cap on having three other boxes though.

Mad Max 15-10-2021 17:02

I know this isn't about the TiVo box but, my V6 is needing to be rebooted more than usual, is this a sign that it may be on its way out?

spiderplant 15-10-2021 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36097506)
I know this isn't about the TiVo box but, my V6 is needing to be rebooted more than usual, is this a sign that it may be on its way out?

Why do you need to reboot it?

Mad Max 15-10-2021 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36097514)
Why do you need to reboot it?

It fails to load up any of the apps, Netflix, Prime etc etc.

epsilon 15-10-2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36097493)
Thanks for the insight. I remember talk of Haxe now.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the IPTV product when it launches as it could be a potential successor, depending to the breadth of services that will be replicated from the 360. I guess it wouldn't resolve the cap on having three other boxes though.

Very much a TV Lite package from what I've heard (no NDAs were broken).

Media Boy UK 15-10-2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36097533)
Very much a TV Lite package from what I've heard (no NDAs were broken).

Will Virgin Meida call this new IPTV product - Virgin Glass?:D

epsilon 15-10-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36097490)
What's DOCSIS?

And 10mb is more than fast enough for streaming as it is said that you need a 2mb connection to stream effectively. I find that YouTube streams video perfectly well.

In simple terms it is the international standard for sending data over cable tv networks. Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36097534)
Will Virgin Meida call this new IPTV product - Virgin Glass?:D

Virgin Broken Glass perhaps. ;)

Mad Max 15-10-2021 19:04

Quote:

Virgin Broken Glass perhaps.

That's Virgin on the ridiculous..:D

ozsat 15-10-2021 20:52

Youtube will stream at what your broadband will allow. If you only have 10mb then the stream will suit that.

10Mb is NOT good enough for some good quality HD. You need nearly 30mb for one live 4k tv stream.

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/gu...and-streaming/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36097490)
What's DOCSIS?

And 10mb is more than fast enough for streaming as it is said that you need a 2mb connection to stream effectively. I find that YouTube streams video perfectly well.

spiderplant 15-10-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36097517)
It fails to load up any of the apps, Netflix, Prime etc etc.

Weird fault. Have you tried rebooting your Hub?

Mad Max 15-10-2021 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36097556)
Weird fault. Have you tried rebooting your Hub?

Not tried the hub as yet, but it sorts itself after a reboot, which lasts a few days then does it again, there have been quite a few complaints about this on the Virgin forums.

Rillington 16-10-2021 16:00

One thing I do find with the Tivo box is that you do have to reboot it every few weeks as bit by bit the quality of the playback on YouTube gets worse with freezing and picture stuttering and eventually it become unwatchable until you reboot it with a switch-on and switch-off of the box. I don't see it as a fault, just as an annoyance.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36097555)
Youtube will stream at what your broadband will allow. If you only have 10mb then the stream will suit that.

10Mb is NOT good enough for some good quality HD. You need nearly 30mb for one live 4k tv stream.

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/gu...and-streaming/

Thank you for your reply.

Back on topic, I believe the boxes have a 10mb connection which should mean that things like Amazon Prime would work perfectly well. After all, Netflix is available so I don't understand why Amazon Prime to the Tivo box, especially given that it has its own EPG number?

BenMcr 16-10-2021 19:12

It's not just about the speed of the broadband connection, but how well the box makes the whole app perform

Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer were all on the TiVo box before the V6 box launched. So they are part of that user experience. However they all run much faster on the V6 boxes to the TiVo boxes even before you start watching anything.

However Amazon Prime didn't launch on Virgin TV till after the V6 was available. So my personal view is that a decision was made that the best experience for newer streaming apps was on the V6 only. Trying to get the TiVo boxes to run them wouldn't be a good experience.

I'd also think that there could be commercial considerations with the streaming providers as to the minimum best user experience.

And as Virgin are a company that are there to make money, it's also a good way to encourage upgrades to have some services exclusive to your newer hardware.

Rillington 17-10-2021 16:25

Thank you for your reply Ben.

And i do agree that there has to be an element of business decision here to get TV-only customers to take VM's internet service so that they can access all these application add-ons such as Pluto TV, Amazon, BBC Sounds, and presumably many others, which are not available to TV-only customers.

epsilon 17-10-2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36097639)
And as Virgin are a company that are there to make money, it's also a good way to encourage upgrades to have some services exclusive to your newer hardware.

The problem there being that, as the missing services are largely streaming services, customers may decide to get a third party streaming device rather than an upgrade from Virgin.