Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will Scotland Leave the UK? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684496)

papa smurf 03-03-2021 11:26

Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36072819)
Maybe the referendum should include voters in the other UK countries to see what the feeling across the all the UK is.

That would be fair as we all have intermixed over the centuries since the union was created.

1andrew1 03-03-2021 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072817)
Not sure if Wokingham Tory Waitrose shoppers are a "weathervane" on this matter.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a Wokingham Tory Waitrose shopper, but I don’t believe they could be classed as a valid sampling of the broader English electorate.

Not the same situation here, but it always amuses me on this forum when people dispute a representative survey of 2,000 as not being large enough but are more than happy to take a couple of mates' views from down the pub as being representative of the entire country. :D

Sephiroth 03-03-2021 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072817)
Not sure if Wokingham Tory Waitrose shoppers are a "weathervane" on this matter.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a Wokingham Tory Waitrose shopper, but I don’t believe they could be classed as a valid sampling of the broader English electorate.

They couldn't fit all the Wokingham Tories into Wokingham Waitrose. Good job there are 4 x Waitroses within about 3 miles of Wokingham.

As to your point, I didn't classify my acquaintances as a weathervane because I prefaced my remark with an "If". Have you evidence to the contrary? What do your acquaintances now think?

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072823)
Not the same situation here, but it always amuses me on this forum when people dispute a representative survey of 2,000 as not being large enough but are more than happy to take a couple of mates' views from down the pub as being representative of the entire country. :D

If you're indirectly pointing to me in your remark, I prefaced my weathervane observation with an "if" and was putting my report "out there" to see if that's what others are finding.

Btw, I don't frequent pubs.

1andrew1 03-03-2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36072824)
They couldn't fit all the Wokingham Tories into Wokingham Waitrose. Good job there are 4 x Waitroses within about 3 miles of Wokingham.

As to your point, I didn't classify my acquaintances as a weathervane because I prefaced my remark with an "If". Have you evidence to the contrary? What do your acquaintances now think?

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

If you're indirectly pointing to me in your remark, I prefaced my weathervane observation with an "if" and was putting my report "out there" to see if that's what others are finding.

Btw, I don't frequent pubs.

To confirm - I'm not pointing to you hence my opening words "Not the same situation here..."

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36072819)
Maybe the referendum should include voters in the other UK countries to see what the feeling across the all the UK is.

Wouldn't that just add extra cost with no benefit? It's not up to people in Wales to decide if Scotland leaves the UK.

papa smurf 03-03-2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072829)
To confirm - I'm not pointing to you hence my opening words "Not the same situation here..."

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Wouldn't that just add extra cost with no benefit? It's not up to people in Wales to decide if Scotland leaves the UK.

Breaking up the union affects every UK citizen, so we all need a vote.

1andrew1 03-03-2021 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36072833)

How?

Sephiroth 03-03-2021 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36072833)

Is that what your "acquaintances" are saying?!

Of course, you know how the SNP would howl if that referendum went the wrong way for Scotland; conversely, it would be a hoot if the England and even Wales vote amounted to a "sod 'em".

papa smurf 03-03-2021 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072834)
How?

We would put an x in the appropriate box the same as we do for every vote.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36072835)

Of course, you know how the SNP would howl if that referendum went the wrong way for Scotland; conversely, it would be a hoot if the England and even Wales vote amounted to a "sod 'em".

Yes seph they could get thrown out.

gba93 03-03-2021 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36072835)

I've taken a strawpoll of 1 person and they said "sod 'em" - problem sorted!

nomadking 03-03-2021 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072834)
How?

Because apart from anything else, England will be expected to have to keep propping up Scotland.

Pierre 03-03-2021 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36072821)
That would be fair as we all have intermixed over the centuries since the union was created.

I'm first generation English, so I'll qualify for a Scottish passport! As I'm sure will hundreds of thousands of other people too.

Sephiroth 03-03-2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36072838)
I've taken a strawpoll of 1 person and they said "sod 'em" - problem sorted!

"They"?

gba93 03-03-2021 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36072842)
"They"?

Okay, if you want to be picky "He/She" although "they" is grammatically correct

Chris 03-03-2021 13:20

“They” is perfectly acceptable to denote a single individual whose sex is unknown, or withheld for whatever reason.

Sephiroth 03-03-2021 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36072843)
Okay, if you want to be picky "He/She" although "they" is grammatically correct

Yeah - I know. But I've got to be consistent so that Hugh can have his sarcastic fun.

Anyway, I'm reasonably sure that the English are thoroughly fed up with the present Scottish leadership and feel that if ordinary Scottish citizens wish to follow that line, then "sod 'em".