Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Streaming : The Book of Boba Fett (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710515)

peanut 19-01-2022 20:22

Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Boba Fett is dead: how Disney+ ruined Star Wars’ coolest character...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...lest-character

Even though I really liked Mando, Sadly I have to agree with this.

pip08456 19-01-2022 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36110304)

Well, according to Ming-Na Wen there's some surprises coming up before series end that will explain everything.

I'd rather believe her than the Groaniad.

General Maximus 19-01-2022 20:43

Quote:

Thanks to its treatment of the once badass, nihilistic bounty hunter, The Book of Boba Fett has turned out to be just another piece of bitterly disappointing, franchise-tarnishing tosh. Proof, if you ever needed it, that some parts of the galaxy are best left unexplored.
my point exactly

Chris 19-01-2022 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36110304)

I was going to post a reply here to that review but someone on the Graun website has already written a better one, so here it is:

Quote:

Absolute bitter, drivelling nonsense. If the eight year old version of me could have known that the future would be such a cool place that there would one day be a series all about how Boba Fett survived the Sarlac and got to be The Boss he would have been mightily pleased. It sounds very much like the author of this article is amongst the approximately 50% of former Star Wars enthusiasts for whom 'The Empire Strikes Back' was, is and always will be automatically and necessarily the absolute High Water Mark, in defiance of how much Star Wars gets made and completely irrespective as to how good it may be. I would invite such individuals to just simply stop watching it and pretend that none of this is happening rather than urinating upon everybody elses' fire. 'The Book Of Boba Fett' is objectively awesome.

pip08456 19-01-2022 21:32

Good find Chris.

admars 19-01-2022 23:26

I reminds me of when episode 1 came out, it was "cool" to hate on Star Wars, I'd swear some reviews were written in advance ;)

I remember a friend found an interesting piece back then about how George Lucas hadn't ruined Star Wars, Star Wars fan boys had ruined Star Wars with their rose tinted glasses :(

I think it's the same now, ppl blame Disney for ruining Star Wars, but it's giving ppl more content, which they think they want, they forget there's an off button.

It's like a friend said, about remakes, sure most are crap, but when a remake comes out, the old version doesn't vanish, you can still watch it, and just not watch the new one, it's really not that much a problem :)

Clone Wars was good, Rebels was good, Bad Batch was good, Resistance wasn't, never mind, lets move on, no one forced me to watch each one, hoping it would get better, didn't seem much point moaning after each episode to anyone :) (I needed closure which is why I kept watching and was curious to see how it tied it with the films, spoiler, it doesn't really expand on anything, so don't bother, it's more of a kids cartoon than the others)

Paul 19-01-2022 23:27

Resistance was ok, but not the best. ;)

cimt 19-01-2022 23:37

That's a proper bullshit article if I ever read one. He has an agenda and wants to make sure it is accomplished. If he needs to be soft he will be, but he won't hesitate to kick someones ass if needed. That article is basically saying that he should be a one dimensional character and Disney is bad for expanding on him.

pip08456 19-01-2022 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 36110339)
I reminds me of when episode 1 came out, it was "cool" to hate on Star Wars, I'd swear some reviews were written in advance ;)

I remember a friend found an interesting piece back then about how George Lucas hadn't ruined Star Wars, Star Wars fan boys had ruined Star Wars with their rose tinted glasses :(

I think it's the same now, ppl blame Disney for ruining Star Wars, but it's giving ppl more content, which they think they want, they forget there's an off button.

It's like a friend said, about remakes, sure most are crap, but when a remake comes out, the old version doesn't vanish, you can still watch it, and just not watch the new one, it's really not that much a problem :)

Clone Wars was good, Rebels was good, Bad Batch was good, Resistance wasn't, never mind, lets move on, no one forced me to watch each one, hoping it would get better, didn't seem much point moaning after each episode to anyone :) (I needed closure which is why I kept watching and was curious to see how it tied it with the films, spoiler, it doesn't really expand on anything, so don't bother, it's more of a kids cartoon than the others)

Pretty much agree with what you say but The Book of Boba Fett is developing a character that no one ever really knew except he was a bounty hunter for a brief part of the films.

Is everyone saying no-one can change and not want to settle down? Doesn't make the character any less and that change can open up a whole new world.

A lot complained because he said he was going to rule with respect (not in his limited known character), does that mean he won't be ruthless with those who don't respect him?

That said I'm off to watch ep 4.

Hugh 20-01-2022 00:19

Just watched Ep. 4 - I like how the flashbacks from the Bacta Tank explain how/why he is now, rather who he was then; it’s a journey, rather than a fixed position in the past.

As a SF author (Gareth L. Powell) who I follow said
Quote:

One of the things I like about #TheBookOfBobaFett is that they've let his character age and mature; he's not the cynical bounty hunter he used to be, his experiences have changed him and he wants something new. That's a braver storytelling choice than I expected.

Paul 20-01-2022 02:18

He shot up all the those bikers in revenge ... not exactly a sign of going soft.

heero_yuy 20-01-2022 09:59

I was happy enough with that episode: The bikers got their commuppance and the Sarlacc got a bad case of indigestion.

I had to laugh at the kitchen scene where they were chasing that robot around.

Paul 20-01-2022 15:11

I loved the way that little robot turned itself off when told who he was. :D

Pierre 20-01-2022 16:49

Book of Boba Fett is brilliant. I ca also strongly recommend the Boba Fett documentary also on Disney+, it came on automatically after I'd finished watching the episode and it great.

The Boba Fett costume was originally all white and was supposed to be the new Storm Trooper uniform!

Pierre 26-01-2022 20:26

The only problem with tonight’s episode, which was brilliant, is that it highlighted that the Mandalorian is a much better character than Boba Fett.

But when you watch the doc “Boba Fett-Behind the mask”, you immediately see that the Boba Fett from Empire and Jedi, is basically the Mandalorian, and the Boba Fett we have now is something else.

Anyway, another great episode.