Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : New content for Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703462)

OLD BOY 02-03-2018 23:48

Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunner45 (Post 35939318)
Of course VM wants Amazon as it lives solely off others' content. But Amazon sees itself as an OTT operator which cuts out the middle man - unlike Netflix - so could easily have brought negotiations to a halt by, say, demanding an obscene amount of money for VM to distribute its content.

There were indications/rumours that LG pulled the negotiations that had been commenced by VM.

If nothing else, I hope that Sky's deal with Netflix will force a change of mind.

Raider999 03-03-2018 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939326)
There were indications/rumours that LG pulled the negotiations that had been commenced by VM.

If nothing else, I hope that Sky's deal with Netflix will force a change of mind.

Doesn't bother me one way or the other - as long as my subs don't go up for something I don't want

OLD BOY 03-03-2018 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35939338)
Doesn't bother me one way or the other - as long as my subs don't go up for something I don't want

They won't as Amazon and Netflix subscriptions are paid directly to those companies.

If some sort of package deal were to be offered, I would imagine these will be add-ons rather than including any other package.

denphone 03-03-2018 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939347)
They won't as Amazon and Netflix subscriptions are paid directly to those companies.

If some sort of package deal were to be offered, I would imagine these will be add-ons rather than including any other package.

They will certainly be add-ons IMO.

OLD BOY 03-03-2018 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939351)
They will certainly be add-ons IMO.

Almost definitely in the short to medium term, I'd say.

Things could change when the broadcast channels start dying off in a big way, but that's a way off yet.

denphone 03-03-2018 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939354)
Almost definitely in the short to medium term, I'd say.

Things could change when the broadcast channels start dying off in a big way, but that's a way off yet.

Now lets not get on to that old chestnut again you naughty man.:naughty::nono:

OLD BOY 03-03-2018 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939355)
Now lets not get on to that old chestnut again you naughty man.:naughty::nono:

Well, that's what our revered BBC think, Den, and that informs their direction of travel. :)

denphone 03-03-2018 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939360)
Well, that's what our revered BBC think, Den, and that informs their direction of travel. :)

The BBC will be around for a long time to come OB even if others are not enamoured by that scenario.

OLD BOY 03-03-2018 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939363)
The BBC will be around for a long time to come OB even if others are not enamoured by that scenario.

It will indeed, Den, but not still broadcasting those same old scheduled channels, because on demand and streaming is the future as far as the eye can see.

OLD BOY 07-03-2018 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939299)
This is interesting, and we can now see OTT services diversifying beyond films and drama.

I particularly like the idea of the audience being able to compete with one another.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/...-svod-service/

This link demonstrates how the streaming services on offer will diversify over time. A new OTT service from Discovery would be very welcome in many homes, I am sure, including this one. I do hope that VM are quick to have this added to the V6 when it is launched.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/...sition-of.html

denphone 07-03-2018 10:07

And that will be another £5.99 on top of all the others subscriptions and before you know it its more expensive then a normal TV subscription..

Raider999 07-03-2018 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939831)
This link demonstrates how the streaming services on offer will diversify over time. A new OTT service from Discovery would be very welcome in many homes, I am sure, including this one. I do hope that VM are quick to have this added to the V6 when it is launched.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/...sition-of.html

Good luck with that - my experience of Virgin Media is nothing happens very quickly

gba93 07-03-2018 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35939835)
Good luck with that - my experience of Virgin Media is nothing happens very quickly

Be fair, price rises do ;)

OLD BOY 07-03-2018 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939832)
And that will be another £5.99 on top of all the others subscriptions and before you know it its more expensive then a normal TV subscription..

Subscribe to Discovery at your assumed price, Amazon and Netflix and you will have far more watchable material for a lot less than your cable subscription. You didn’t expect any OTT services to be free, surely. But good value? Definitely.

Mad Max 07-03-2018 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939856)
Subscribe to Discovery at your assumed price, Amazon and Netflix and you will have far more watchable material for a lot less than your cable subscription. You didn’t expect any OTT services to be free, surely. But good value? Definitely.

On the money, OB.....:tu: