Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : New content for Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703462)

OLD BOY 17-08-2016 14:30

New content for Virgin Media

In view of the welcome news that Virgin is back in the content game, I thought it would be useful to open a thread to bring these stories together in one place.

The latest news to emerge appears to be this one.

Virgin Media orders comedy shorts, buys Magic City

Virgin Media is pushing further into original content. A deal has been reached with Avalon Television to produce a series of comedy shorts and buying US drama Magic City.

Ordering Edinburgh Comedy Shorts (WT) marks the first time the Liberty Global-owned broadband and pay TV company has commissioned programming.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/58504...ys-magic-city/

This comes after the announcement of a major push into original drama programming with All3Media. This places it more directly in competition with Sky, BT, and Netflix.

Magic City becomes Virgin’s third UK-exclusive US programme following a deal with Starz, after another with Starz for Ash Vs Evil Dead and another with Endemol Shine International for Kingdom.

Virgin Media’s chief digital entertainment officer, David Bouchier, told TBI that Avalon was in Edinburgh this month at the Fringe Festival filming the 15 shorts that would comprise Edinburgh Comedy Shorts, which will be released exclusively on its streaming TV Anywhere services.

The shorts will debut on Virgin Media’s streaming service, which is powered by its super-fast internet infrastructure, for a month. “This is important because it makes our streaming service a destination to go to, and increases the audience.”

Bouchier said the company would also look at co-productions for big-budget programming, which will go alongside the exclusive dramas it gets from the Liberty-All3Media output agreement, and is dipping its “toe in the water commissioning” for short-form exclusives.

Bouchier was drafted in last year to create Virgin Media’s content strategy. He has since hired former Channel 4 buyer Gill Hay as acquisitions chief and David Twallin as head of programming.

muppetman11 17-08-2016 16:12

Re: New content for Virgin Media

It's going to have to buy significantly more content to compete with BT , Netflix and Sky.

denphone 17-08-2016 16:15

So you have doubts that it will MM?.

passingbat 17-08-2016 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35854532)
It's going to have to buy significantly more content to compete with BT , Netflix and Sky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35854534)
So you have doubts that it will MM?.

I think that they missed the content boat(s) a long time ago (or more accurately abandoned it). Catching up after they have all sailed will take a long time and will be expensive.

Am I right in saying that most of these exclusives are only available to XL subscribers? I hope that is the case, and that the inevitable increased pricing is added solely to the XL package price. I'll stick with the lower TV tiers and, as I do now, add Netflix, Amazon and Now TV. Way better value in my view.

OLD BOY 17-08-2016 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35854532)

Oh, definitely, but maybe this is the start of a new era for Virgin TV.

OLD BOY 19-08-2016 20:08

What are we to make of this? We have been told that there will be a major push for content and they recognise that they have not been investing sufficiently in the TV side of the business, and then Mike Fries says Liberty Global will make 'smart, relatively small investments in multiple markets'. Now a lot could happen with this new strategy, but that word 'small' disconcerts me.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/58120...ts-in-content/

Liberty Global to make ‘smart’ investments in content

Liberty Global plans to make “smart, opportunistic investments” in content following its recent announcement that it would commission four original drama series from All3Media, according to president and CEO Mike Fries.

Speaking to analysts after the company unveiled strong Q2 financial results at the end of last week, Fries said that the group would make “smart, relatively small investments in multiple markets to get some content on our platforms that’s unique to us”. He said Liberty was now putting more emphasis on SVOD content and rights that drive growth of its TV Everywhere platform.

Fries said that Liberty’s content movies would not “significantly change the weighting of [the company’s] balance sheet or cash flows”, however.

While video only accounts for 35% of the company’s revenues, Fries said that it is a “critical part” of the bundle and that content costs would grow year-on-year at or above the rate of increase in revenues, because content drives revenues across the bundle. He said these increases would be offset by decreases in direct costs.

Fries said that analysts should “expect more” of the type of content deals it has done with All3Media, adding that its relationship with Lionsgate, in which it now has a 3.4% stake alongside Discovery, was “off to a great start”.

He said that the four originals from All3Media would be distributed by Liberty Global’s networks exclusively, “at least from the outset”.

Virgin Media UK & Ireland, Unity Media in Germany, Ziggo in the Netherlands and Cable & Wireless, VTR and Liberty Puerto Rico will all air the shows.

Fries said that Belgian subsidiary Telenet’s investment in content was also bearing fruit, citing the fact that Chausée d’Amour, the brothel-set SVoD original it commissioned from production outfit De Mensen, had broken records in Flanders with half a million streams requested in the first two weeks. The series debuted on May 10 on Telenet Play and Play More.

1andrew1 19-08-2016 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35854828)
What are we to make of this? We have been told that there will be a major push for content and they recognise that they have not been investing sufficiently in the TV side of the business, and then Mike Fries says Liberty Global will make 'smart, relatively small investments in multiple markets'. Now a lot could happen with this new strategy, but that word 'small' disconcerts me.

My understanding was always that it was going to be small. By this I mean that VM won't be entering the sports market or establishing a competitor to Sky Atlantic. But I think there will be enough exclusive content for people to notice if they switched away from VM.

OLD BOY 20-08-2016 14:57

On the other hand, John Malone has indicated that he wants to bring maximum content to cable customers. He claimed that it was not necessary to actually own the content rights to do this.

To me, that sounds like a sensible policy, given the huge sums involved in bidding wars. These costs will only increase as global players attempt to extend their reach across the world.

However, this strategy only works effectively where the companies holding those rights are prepared to accept payments to enable their acquired content to be screened on other platforms.

What is interesting is comparing what John Malone said a relatively short while ago with what he has actually been doing in the meantime.

On top of his stake in Discovery, he has extended his interest in content ownership with the recent Lionsgate-Starz deals. Now he is reported to have other targets in his sights, such as AMC, Scripps and possibly Viacom.

By going along this route, John Malone is putting himself in a much better position to offer incentives to companies such as Sky to ensure that currently exclusive content is made available to cable customers. If deals cannot be done, then Liberty Global will be able to withhold a considerable amount of content from players who won’t play.

Given his stakes in these other companies, he must be in a position to create new channels (conventional and/or on demand) with all that content. These channels could be exclusive to cable, although much of the content could be recycled. This would certainly help Virgin Media to argue that it had channels not available on other platforms.

It will be very interesting to see how things change over the coming months and years.

OLD BOY 23-08-2016 17:37

I was hoping that the Olympic Channel would also launch on Virgin Media as a new streaming service.

I wonder if this and other new services will appear on the new Tivo...?

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...s-live/Olympic

Olympic Channel goes live

The Olympic Channel has launched to a global audience via a mobile app for Android and iOS devices and online at olympicchannel.com.

The Olympic Channel launches with content from around the world including original shows, news and highlights. Premiering at launch to continue the excitement of the Olympic Games is Viva 2016, an exclusive behind-the-scenes-look at the production of an Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

IOC President Thomas Bach commented: “The launch of Olympic Channel is a key milestone for the Olympic Movement and a result of Olympic Agenda 2020. It is the start of an exciting, new journey for athletes, fans and new generations to connect with sport and the Olympic values every day of the year.”

RichardCoulter 23-08-2016 19:58

What I don't understand is why they are adding things to a box that cannot cope with what it has already, they could add Sky Atlantic tomorrow, but what would be the point if all customers get to see is a blank screen or a spinning circle :(

OLD BOY 24-08-2016 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35855573)
What I don't understand is why they are adding things to a box that cannot cope with what it has already, they could add Sky Atlantic tomorrow, but what would be the point if all customers get to see is a blank screen or a spinning circle :(

Spiderplant has already debunked the theory that more streaming services means a slower Tivo, Richard. However, I am looking to the next box expected at the end of the year, which hopefully will have the speed problem sorted, with lots more apps on there.

Why do you say we could have Sky Atlantic tomorrow? Sky appear to be standing in the way of that, although I remain optimistic that there is no reason why VM could not add a Now TV app which includes SA.

RichardCoulter 25-08-2016 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35855637)
Spiderplant has already debunked the theory that more streaming services means a slower Tivo, Richard. However, I am looking to the next box expected at the end of the year, which hopefully will have the speed problem sorted, with lots more apps on there.

Why do you say we could have Sky Atlantic tomorrow? Sky appear to be standing in the way of that, although I remain optimistic that there is no reason why VM could not add a Now TV app which includes SA.

It was just an example, I didn't mean it literally :)

hedgie 26-08-2016 10:41

Well maybe Virgin could be getting a sniff of F1...

A normally reliable source.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...-sources-says/

BenMcr 26-08-2016 10:45

And on Sky News http://news.sky.com/story/liberty-me...acing-10551347

OLD BOY 27-08-2016 10:07

A friend of ours wanted some help setting up her new Talk Talk box yesterday. I was surprised to see when it was loaded that Now TV was on there.

So it seems that those who doubted that Sky would permit other platforms to offer this service were wrong. I am now even more hopeful that Virgin Media's new box will have Now TV as one of the apps on it, thus resolving the Sky Atlantic/ITV Encore issue.

ADDENDUM

Just checked this out on line and it seems that you cannot get access to the Entertainment Pass on Talk Talk's Now TV service. So they cannot get SA or ITV Encore on Talk Talk after all. I believe that you can only use the Movies and Sports passes.

However, I see no reason why the full service cannot be made available to VM if they wanted it.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/sky-a...s-and-answers/

Bananaman_007 28-08-2016 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35856173)
A friend of ours wanted some help setting up her new Talk Talk box yesterday. I was surprised to see when it was loaded that Now TV was on there.

So it seems that those who doubted that Sky would permit other platforms to offer this service were wrong. I am now even more hopeful that Virgin Media's new box will have Now TV as one of the apps on it, thus resolving the Sky Atlantic/ITV Encore issue.

ADDENDUM

Just checked this out on line and it seems that you cannot get access to the Entertainment Pass on Talk Talk's Now TV service. So they cannot get SA or ITV Encore on Talk Talk after all. I believe that you can only use the Movies and Sports passes.

However, I see no reason why the full service cannot be made available to VM if they wanted it.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/sky-a...s-and-answers/

Never going to happen, why would VM offer access to Sky Movies, Sports and a good selection of entertainment from a rival who offer it at a much cheaper rate? Surely if they did this and people liked the service they would be thinking why am i paying for VM and cancel and just replace it with a Now TV box.

1andrew1 28-08-2016 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 (Post 35856393)
Never going to happen, why would VM offer access to Sky Movies, Sports and a good selection of entertainment from a rival who offer it at a much cheaper rate? Surely if they did this and people liked the service they would be thinking why am i paying for VM and cancel and just replace it with a Now TV box.

Totally agreed. Old Boy makes some great contributions to the forum on the future of broadcasting but this one is as mad as a box of frogs - for the reasons you stipulate plus VM would not be keen on giving Sky its subscribers' details.

OLD BOY 20-10-2016 13:44

It would be very useful to have the Vimeo TV Store, and Liberty Global have an interest in this!

I believe that this is the way of the future, and there must be real concerns within Sky that such arrangements will take off and extend across the full spectrum of TV shows and films. On the down side, from what I have read, HBO are not likely to make use of this arrangement for the time being, preferring to offer all its own programming from their HBO site once existing deals have expired. Still bad news for Sky, though.

The way I read this, operators such as Sky would not be able to monopolise the availability of the content on the Vimeo TV Store to their own platforms.

I would like to think that Virgin Media would offer this service to its subscribers from the minute it is available in the UK. This initiative has the potential to grow exponentially.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61689...onsgate-starz/

MIPCOM: Vimeo launches TV Store, partners with Lionsgate, Starz

Vimeo has launched a new transactional TV store, with Lionsgate and Starz the first partners to come on board to provide content to the service.

Vimeo TV Store launched at MIPCOM yesterday and the service is designed to let premium studios sell their shows on a pay-per view basis to viewers in more than 150 countries around the world.

Lionsgate is the first major Hollywood studio to provide content to the new venture, making virtually its entire TV catalogue available, including popular series like Orange is the New Black, The Royals, Mad Men and Weeds.

Starz will add its content in the coming weeks and will sell shows such as The Girlfriend Experience, Ash vs Evil Dead and Black Sails through the store.

Speaking to DTVE ahead of the launch, Vimeo vice-president of programming, Sam Toles, described Vimeo TV Store as “the first global television on-demand service.

“The real differentiator is, if you look at iTunes or Google, they do offer feature films on a worldwide basis, but television is limited to a handful of territories – between six and seven depending on the various players,” said Toles.

“We felt there was a real opportunity to open up television in a global window so that when shows are launched, they can be released transactionally next day from air in 150-plus territories and really give the world access to premium content. We’re opening that ecosystem now to studios and reverse engineering from the ground up.”

Toles said that, with the store, Vimeo is creating new windows and new ways for studios to monetise their content. He added that there will be “a number of other announcements over the coming months with additional providers of that level of quality joining the initiative”.

Starz chief operating officer, Jeffrey Hirsch, said: “Vimeo is undoubtedly one of the most cutting-edge online video platforms and Starz is very pleased to join Lionsgate in agreeing to provide content to Vimeo’s storefront.

“With this agreement, Starz will make available for purchase three of its most powerful and compelling Starz Original series for consumers around the world.”

passingbat 20-10-2016 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35864844)
It would be very useful to have the Vimeo TV Store, and Liberty Global have an interest in this!

I believe that this is the way of the future, and there must be real concerns within Sky that such arrangements will take off and extend across the full spectrum of TV shows and films. On the down side, from what I have read, HBO are not likely to make use of this arrangement for the time being, preferring to offer all its own programming from their HBO site once existing deals have expired. Still bad news for Sky, though.

The way I read this, operators such as Sky would not be able to monopolise the availability of the content on the Vimeo TV Store to their own platforms.

I would like to think that Virgin Media would offer this service to its subscribers from the minute it is available in the UK. This initiative has the potential to grow exponentially.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61689...onsgate-starz/

MIPCOM: Vimeo launches TV Store, partners with Lionsgate, Starz

Vimeo has launched a new transactional TV store, with Lionsgate and Starz the first partners to come on board to provide content to the service.

Vimeo TV Store launched at MIPCOM yesterday and the service is designed to let premium studios sell their shows on a pay-per view basis to viewers in more than 150 countries around the world.

Lionsgate is the first major Hollywood studio to provide content to the new venture, making virtually its entire TV catalogue available, including popular series like Orange is the New Black, The Royals, Mad Men and Weeds.

Starz will add its content in the coming weeks and will sell shows such as The Girlfriend Experience, Ash vs Evil Dead and Black Sails through the store.

Speaking to DTVE ahead of the launch, Vimeo vice-president of programming, Sam Toles, described Vimeo TV Store as “the first global television on-demand service.

“The real differentiator is, if you look at iTunes or Google, they do offer feature films on a worldwide basis, but television is limited to a handful of territories – between six and seven depending on the various players,” said Toles.

“We felt there was a real opportunity to open up television in a global window so that when shows are launched, they can be released transactionally next day from air in 150-plus territories and really give the world access to premium content. We’re opening that ecosystem now to studios and reverse engineering from the ground up.”

Toles said that, with the store, Vimeo is creating new windows and new ways for studios to monetise their content. He added that there will be “a number of other announcements over the coming months with additional providers of that level of quality joining the initiative”.

Starz chief operating officer, Jeffrey Hirsch, said: “Vimeo is undoubtedly one of the most cutting-edge online video platforms and Starz is very pleased to join Lionsgate in agreeing to provide content to Vimeo’s storefront.

“With this agreement, Starz will make available for purchase three of its most powerful and compelling Starz Original series for consumers around the world.”

I like Vimeo; I've bought a few non-mainstream items from them. They are available via my Amazon FireTV and many other devices including Roku, Apple TV etc. So again, not essential to be on Tivo, but no harm in it either.

https://vimeo.com/everywhere

OLD BOY 24-10-2016 14:33

Now perhaps this would be a much better way of providing games to Virgin Media viewers via an app on the new Tivo.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...nnel-gametoon/

SPI / Filmbox launches new generation TV channel Gametoon

gametoonSPI International/Filmbox Channels Group is launching a new interactive channel Gametoon.

Gametoon features interactive gaming/second screen gaming, game reviews, tournaments esports and viral content fueled with best of the Web and much more. The channel gives its viewers a unique opportunity to play dedicated games on their mobile devices and share scores along with social profile pictures on air.

Viewers may enjoy playing second screen casual games dedicated to channel that follow one simple rule – easy to play, hard to master. They join the fun instantly by picking one of many casual titles and watch how they advance in Gametoon global ranking.

Gametoon will feature live esports events along with information on the teams and games. Channel’s programming includes game reviews, tips and tutorials, along with fun facts and stories about games creation process.

“Young generations are watching content through online devices. It’s time to reconnect to TV. We would like to give millennials something to watch in their traditional cable box,” explains Berk Uziyel, SPI’s executive director.

“With Gametoon, viewers may follow esports and watch top gamers compete against each other in global tournaments.

Gametoon has officially premiered at MIPCOM and will soon be launched on DISH in the US, and Turkcell in Turkey.

The channel is available for worldwide distribution: DTH, Cable, IPTV, Mobile TV and smart TV.

...And this would be a good new documentary app...

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61871...app-goes-live/

Yaddo documentary SVOD app goes live

Yaddo, the new documentary SVOD service from BBC factual commissioner Nick Fraser, has launched as an app for iOS and Android....

...Speaking to DTVE at MIPCOM last week, Fraser said that Yaddo would go live formally this week but its full international rollout would be staggered.

“It starts off launching in Europe and then it goes to the rest of the world shortly afterwards – in two month’s time,” he said.

Yaddo is powered by on-demand platform provider Magine, was first unveiled at the end of September and has been roughly a year and a half in the making.

The service, which is also accessible online via web browsers, offers viewers a curated, themed selection of feature documentaries articles and short content for £3.99 per-month.

Fraser previously edited the BBC’s acclaimed Storyville documentary strand since its inception 17 years ago, and been involved in more than 340 films over the course of his career.

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 16:38

Some encouraging news here about Lionsgate and All3media content coming to Virgin Media.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/62644...t-investments/

RichardCoulter 11-11-2016 17:07

Cartoon Network to launch catch up & box sets on VM:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/virgin-media...-content-deal/

OLD BOY 20-12-2016 12:58

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...e-in-opera-tv/

Another good way that the Virgin Media Tivo V6 box could be instantly transformed into a reputable streaming box with hardly any effort at all. Note that Opera is compatible with Tivos.

Opera TV is an independent developer of cloud and embedded software that enables the TV and media industry’s transition to over-the-top (OTT) content, whereby video can be streamed directly to consumers’ living rooms via the Internet, to devices such as Smart TVs, Blu-ray disc players, set-top boxes and video game consoles.

Opera TV’s software platform enables these connected devices to deliver a complete consumer experience that embraces OTT content. Opera TV’s major customers include consumer electronics companies such as Sony, Samsung, TiVo, Verizon, and Sagemcom, and it serves customers across the globe in Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.

spiderplant 20-12-2016 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876782)
Another good way that the Virgin Media Tivo V6 box could be instantly transformed into a reputable streaming box with hardly any effort at all.

Putting new software on a box is never "instant" or "hardly any effort at all". Fortunately it's already a "reputable streaming box" :)

Probably not the best thread for this, by the way.

muppetman11 20-12-2016 13:51

Why should Sky be worried about Vimeo ?

In January of this year it was rumoured Sky and Vimeo were in discussions to add the service to Sky Q.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...oin-Sky-Q.html

johnathome 21-12-2016 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35876798)

In January of this year it was rumoured Sky and Vimeo were in discussions to add the service to Sky Q.

The death knell for Vimeo? (see mySpace)

OLD BOY 21-12-2016 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35876798)

For reasons explained in #18 above, it would reduce Sky's ability to keep its content exclusive to Sky satellite viewers.

Interesting that Sky may add this to their apps. I hope VM do, too.

passingbat 21-12-2016 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876941)
For reasons explained in #18 above, it would reduce Sky's ability to keep its content exclusive to Sky satellite viewers.

Vimeo is already available on many streaming devices; I suspect that it will be on your Roku stick.

OLD BOY 21-12-2016 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35876944)
Vimeo is already available on many streaming devices; I suspect that it will be on your Roku stick.

I'm not concerned for me, PB, but for the fate of VM if they don't get into the fast lane!

I am conscious that there are many viewers out there who do not have Smart TVs and streamers, and probably not much, if any, knowledge of what streaming even is, who would think that a box with all this stuff on would be out of this world.

In five or so years' time it will be mainstream, by which time I hope that Virgin will be embracing the next best thing.

muppetman11 21-12-2016 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876941)

But then Sky already has an online platform with which to distribute content on its called Now TV , of all the traditional UK pay TV platforms it's probably one of the most forward thinking. Should the Murdochs get the remaining 60% of Sky you could argue it also has the content to back it up.

Sky's content isn't exclusive to satellite viewers it's available on Now TV to anyone with an internet connection.

passingbat 21-12-2016 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876949)
I'm not concerned for me, PB, but for the fate of VM if they don't get into the fast lane!

Are you serious! Re OTT aps, are VM lagging behind Sky, BT or Talk Talk? I can't be bothered to check, but I suspect not.

OLD BOY 21-12-2016 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35877006)
Are you serious! Re OTT aps, are VM lagging behind Sky, BT or Talk Talk? I can't be bothered to check, but I suspect not.

The point is, a cable system is capable of doing so much more, and incredibly, Sky's satellite service is developing at speed and although they may be behind today, they will be set to overtake soon. I do find that depressing.

passingbat 21-12-2016 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35877017)
The point is, a cable system is capable of doing so much more, and incredibly, Sky's satellite service is developing at speed and although they may be behind today, they will be set to overtake soon. I do find that depressing.

Well, if Sky do overtake VM, the option would be to move to Sky ;)

I don't think people are as ignorant as you seem to think, regarding streamer boxes; anyone who browses Amazon, can't avoid the adds for the Fire TV. And many don't care about streaming services; Freeview or Pay TV is all they require plus catchup services which are built in to Freeview and other provider boxes.

I'm surprised how many people that I meet, not young people, know about Kodi. Sadly, they mainly use it for illegal downloads.

OLD BOY 16-01-2017 16:37

Now that the V6 boxes are rolling out, there will be increasing demand for more UHD content. 4k Universe could be the kind of thing that VM may go for - I certainly hope we are not simply reliant on Sky and BT.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/64880...hinese-launch/

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35877023)
Well, if Sky do overtake VM, the option would be to move to Sky ;)

I don't think people are as ignorant as you seem to think, regarding streamer boxes; anyone who browses Amazon, can't avoid the adds for the Fire TV. And many don't care about streaming services; Freeview or Pay TV is all they require plus catchup services which are built in to Freeview and other provider boxes.

I'm surprised how many people that I meet, not young people, know about Kodi. Sadly, they mainly use it for illegal downloads.

I thought I'd ask some of my acquaintences, young and old, if they knew what Kodi was. Not one of them had a clue.

I think it depends what circles you mix with, passingbat. I am absolutely certain that the majority of the population are pretty ignorant about streaming boxes. Although a bigger percentage may have heard about Fire TV, most people who know about it only appreciate that they can get Amazon on it.

OLD BOY 21-01-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35876954)
But then Sky already has an online platform with which to distribute content on its called Now TV , of all the traditional UK pay TV platforms it's probably one of the most forward thinking. Should the Murdochs get the remaining 60% of Sky you could argue it also has the content to back it up.

Sky's content isn't exclusive to satellite viewers it's available on Now TV to anyone with an internet connection.

This is true, but you have to pay extra for Now TV. It should be straight forward for VM and other platforms to simply add Sky Atlantic to their offerings in the same way as for other channels.

Are you happy for non Sky audiences to be screwed over by Mr Murdoch & Co?

muppetman11 21-01-2017 20:47

I honestly think I may struggle to sleep tonight.:o:

denphone 22-01-2017 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35881525)
I honestly think I may struggle to sleep tonight.:o:

l had no problem for once;):sleep::sleep:

passingbat 22-01-2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881520)
This is true, but you have to pay extra for Now TV. It should be straight forward for VM and other platforms to simply add Sky Atlantic to their offerings in the same way as for other channels.

Are you happy for non Sky audiences to be screwed over by Mr Murdoch & Co?

In the established (non streaming) pay TV world, satellite and cable, Atlantic is a Sky USP. Why would Sky give a USP to VM? The only time that would make sense is if it ceased to be a USP or VM had something to offer Sky in return.

Raider999 22-01-2017 12:40

Any idea when Virgin will be able to show UHD broadcasts of Sports from Sky and/or BT?

Not much point having a UHD capable box without any decent content.

passingbat 22-01-2017 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35881614)
Any idea when Virgin will be able to show UHD broadcasts of Sports from Sky and/or BT?

Not much point having a UHD capable box without any decent content.

There are more reasons to get the V6 box than UHD.

Raider999 22-01-2017 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35881626)
There are more reasons to get the V6 box than UHD.

Perhaps, but as a newbie to Virgin TV could you enlighten me please?

passingbat 22-01-2017 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35881639)
Perhaps, but as a newbie to Virgin TV could you enlighten me please?

Way (way) faster than Tivo; Netflix is blisteringly fast to load for me, as is moving around the interface.
6 tuners
For those that need it download some recordings/stream recordings to a phone or tablet.

The faster interface and 6 tuners was enough for me.

OLD BOY 25-01-2017 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35881581)
In the established (non streaming) pay TV world, satellite and cable, Atlantic is a Sky USP. Why would Sky give a USP to VM? The only time that would make sense is if it ceased to be a USP or VM had something to offer Sky in return.

Maybe that time will come, with Liberty Media grabbing F1!

OLD BOY 07-02-2017 13:21

More like this would be good. Seems like we are slowly moving forward at last.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/65718...xclusive-deal/

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Virgin Media squares Full Circle with exclusive deal

UK pay TV operator Virgin Media has acquired three seasons of US drama Full Circle.

The exclusive agreement means Virgin has taken rights to DirecTV-commissioned Full Circle: Los Angeles (season one of the trilogy), Full Circle: Chicago (S2) and Full Circle: Miami (S3).

Virgin has been pushing into exclusive content in order to differentiate against pay TV rivals Sky and BT, previously taking exclusive rights to series including Kingdom and Magic City, as TBI first reported.

Season one of Full Circle, from Neil LaBute, follows a cast of characters such as Tom Felton and Minka Kelly as their lives intertwine before culminating in a devastating conclusion. Season two follows a whistle-blowing cop in Chicago, while season three is set in the midst of a US presidential election campaign, during which a charismatic senator wakes up next to a drugged and beaten prostitute but has no recollection of events.

Season one has been made immediately available through Virgin Media’s on-demand box-sets collection hub, with season two and three launching in April and July respectively.

FremantleMedia International sells the show globally, having acquired rights upon the show’s announcement in April 2013.

Virgin content line-up has been expanding rapidly since former Sky programming boss David Bouchier was named chief digital entertainment officer in June 2015.

Bouchier has scored deals with wide-ranging content deals with Turner and UKTV, and is co-leading a four-title drama-development pact for Virgin parent Liberty Global.

Virgin’s cousin in the LIberty portfolio, All3Media, will produce the selected shows, which will play on Liberty cable platforms around the world.

denphone 07-02-2017 15:03

Lets hope they continue with this move into content.

OLD BOY 13-02-2017 08:28

I wonder if Virgin Media will make any attempt to acquire rights to broadcast this channel? I trust that it won't be exclusive to Sky :rolleyes:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/02/e...ut-on-sky.html

Eurocinema to make UK debut on Sky

Eurocinema is to launch its own dedicated slot on UK television, broadcasting award-winning European movies daily from Valentine’s Day (Tuesday, February 14).

Titles considered to be among the best work from the global film festival circuit will be screened on Sky channel 212, currently the home of Showcase TV.

Feature-length movies as well as shorter films will be shown every evening from 9pm.

Eurocinema is already a popular channel in the US and Canada. Its new UK slot is expected to reach 12 million Sky TV viewers and, based on audience demand, could lead to more air time or even a dedicated Eurocinema television channel.

The movies planned for the Valentine’s Day launch include:-

Love Vertigo – Vertiges de l’amour (2001) Aired at 9pm, repeated at 1am.
A fun, witty French comedy with English subtitles. A man has pre-wedding jitters on the eve before his marriage. His thoughts switch between sweet dreams and nightmares of a life with another woman.

A Night in Versailles – Versailles Rive-Gauche (1992) Aired at 11pm.
A French, romantic comedy with English subtitles. A young man in Versailles invites a Parisian girl to his place for dinner. The evening is thrown into turmoil. The film is a Cesar Award winner.

Sébastien Perioche, President and Founder of Eurocinema World, said:
“We are delighted to bring Eurocinema to the UK. The country’s cultural diversity and interest in the arts is a natural fit for the Eurocinema brand. We believe the UK television audiences will enjoy our films, and find them enriching.”

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

With Virgin Media back in the content business, I think this would be a good acquisition for them.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...1mi-paid-subs/

Crunchyroll surpasses 1mi paid subs

Anime and manga VOD platform Crunchyroll has officially surpassed one million paid subscribers and more than 20 million users.

Crunchyroll achieved record growth in 2016, charting a 36% increase in paid subscribers in the last 12 months.

The platform’s fan base currently streams over 1.5 billion minutes of anime per month and is distributed on more than 1 billion devices, and is available in every single country in the world.

“The past year hasn’t just been big for Crunchyroll, it was huge for anime itself,” said Kun Gao, general manager of Crunchyroll.

“We are seeing more fans pop up all over the world, hit shows like Yuri!!! on Ice breaking through to mainstream audiences, and anime as a medium being utilised in more creative ways, like in Porter Robinson’s music video, Shelter. Here at Crunchyroll, we have always been super passionate about anime, but it’s great to see the content we love catching on with a broader audience.”

“As a company we are committed to growing and cultivating the anime community,” says Colin Decker, COO at Crunchyroll.

“As the largest home for anime content – with over 800 titles in our catalogue – we understand the influence we have on the anime industry and we will continue to provide our loyal fans new and better ways to interact with and enjoy the content they love.”

cheekyangus 14-02-2017 16:23

That Eurocinema is currently just an evening block on Showcase TV, it isn't replacing it on Sky. Showcase was on FreeSat last time I looked so Eurocinema is not Sky exclusive.

Not sure if Crunchyroll has made deals with likes of VM before. But if they provide apps for likes of PlayStation Vita they are open to smaller platforms. Maybe they have a Tivo app already?

OLD BOY 16-02-2017 09:03

We can look forward to plenty of new content soon, then, perhaps!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...opean-results/

International TV and broadband company Liberty Global has reported Q4 and Full Year results which reveal a European operating income of $683 million (€643m) and $558 million in Q4 2016 and Q4 2015, respectively, and $2.482 billion and $2.101 billion during full-year 2016 and 2015, respectively, representing increases of 22 per cent and 18 per cent.

“As expected, we finished 2016 on a high note, delivering rebased OCF growth in Europe of 7.5 per cent in the fourth quarter, excluding Ziggo,” commented CEO Mike Fries. “This performance was driven by solid results across our European operations, including Virgin Media, which delivered its best quarterly result in two years with 8 per cent rebased OCF growth. As promised, the key 2016 drivers of our Liberty Go plan are kicking in – new build accelerated, B2B performed well and we kept indirect operating expenses relatively flat. We expect the collective impact of these drivers to continue ramping in 2017 and beyond, underpinning accelerating growth over the medium term,” he advised.

“On the subscriber front, we increased our 2016 RGU additions in Europe by 24 per cent year-over-year and finished the year with 946,000 new subscribers. This improved performance can be credited to the wide range of innovative new products that we’ve launched, including our superior and ever-increasing broadband speeds, and our aggressive network expansion programme, which delivered over 1.4 million new gigabit-ready homes in 2016, including nearly half a million at Virgin Media alone,” he noted.

Looking ahead, Fries confirmed that Liberty Global would continue to enrich its bundled portfolios with compelling 4G mobile offers and the addition of new content and functionality, including the launch of Netflix across its footprint. “We will also expand the deployment of exciting new products like our 4K cloud-based set-top and our WiFi Connect Box. Also, in late 2017, we will start field trials of the unrivalled DOCSIS 3.1 technology, which will provide gigabit speeds,” he confirmed.

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35885700)
That Eurocinema is currently just an evening block on Showcase TV, it isn't replacing it on Sky. Showcase was on FreeSat last time I looked so Eurocinema is not Sky exclusive.

Not sure if Crunchyroll has made deals with likes of VM before. But if they provide apps for likes of PlayStation Vita they are open to smaller platforms. Maybe they have a Tivo app already?

Has Eurocinema appeared on Sky yet as the dedicated channel mentioned in that article?

cheekyangus 17-02-2017 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35886045)
Has Eurocinema appeared on Sky yet as the dedicated channel mentioned in that article?

I just checked. It's just a dedicated programming block on Showcase every night. Maybe testing waters before launching as a standalone?

Tonight is a Norwegian crime thriller called Uro at 9pm.

OLD BOY 18-02-2017 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35886315)
I just checked. It's just a dedicated programming block on Showcase every night. Maybe testing waters before launching as a standalone?

Tonight is a Norwegian crime thriller called Uro at 9pm.

So that's why they said it had a 'dedicated slot' as opposed to a dedicated channel. Interesting! As you say, they must be testing the waters, but they will have to publicise where people should go to access Eurocinema's programming. Otherwise, it will surely be hidden if they just put it on the Showcase channel without shouting about it.

cheekyangus 18-02-2017 18:08

Yeah, promotion is essential. The only way you'd notice it on Sky EPG is that there are Shorts and these are all labelled as "EUROCINEMA: Short Name". The problem there is they don't do it on feature length films too and the Shorts only scheduled after the main film.

OLD BOY 19-02-2017 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35886474)
Yeah, promotion is essential. The only way you'd notice it on Sky EPG is that there are Shorts and these are all labelled as "EUROCINEMA: Short Name". The problem there is they don't do it on feature length films too and the Shorts only scheduled after the main film.

They need to do better than this if they are to gain a foothold in the UK.

LouH 20-02-2017 16:54

Hello!

I'm posting on behalf of Eurocinema because your forum posts popped up on my media alerts. I'm pleased you're interested in the channel.

You're right, we are testing the waters at the moment, but I'm plugging away at getting the word out there. I send information to every site and magazine that's interested in international films.

We do have a Facebook page which we're gradually building up an audience around if you would like regular updates. https://www.facebook.com/EurocinemaUK/

This is really helpful feedback I've already read here. Email me on louise@totheend.co.uk if you would like to touch base directly.

We want to really build a solid foundation to grow our audience, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much.

Take care,

Louise.

OLD BOY 20-02-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouH (Post 35886714)
Hello!

I'm posting on behalf of Eurocinema because your forum posts popped up on my media alerts. I'm pleased you're interested in the channel.

You're right, we are testing the waters at the moment, but I'm plugging away at getting the word out there. I send information to every site and magazine that's interested in international films.

We do have a Facebook page which we're gradually building up an audience around if you would like regular updates. https://www.facebook.com/EurocinemaUK/

This is really helpful feedback I've already read here. Email me on louise@totheend.co.uk if you would like to touch base directly.

We want to really build a solid foundation to grow our audience, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much.

Take care,

Louise.

Nice to hear from you, Louise. No doubt our veritable contributors will be letting you know what they think.

Hoping to be viewing your channel on Virgin Media soon! ;)

LouH 21-02-2017 08:44

Indeed - let's see how it goes! ;)

Great to connect with you all and enjoy the movies.

Take care,

Louise.

heavyside 21-02-2017 09:30

Eurocinema is something that would definitely appeal to me - as long as the films aren't dubbed (I can't stand dubbed films). I would prefer this to be a part of a package rather than an add-on with an additional subscription.

LouH 21-02-2017 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35886794)
Eurocinema is something that would definitely appeal to me - as long as the films aren't dubbed (I can't stand dubbed films). I would prefer this to be a part of a package rather than an add-on with an additional subscription.

These films are subtitled, so don't worry. I've noted your comment about the add-on. It will be good for us to take that into consideration if a dedicated channel is launched. Thanks so much. :tu:

OLD BOY 21-02-2017 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouH (Post 35886799)
These films are subtitled, so don't worry. I've noted your comment about the add-on. It will be good for us to take that into consideration if a dedicated channel is launched. Thanks so much. :tu:

The subtitling issue can be overcome by just showing the films without subtitles, and by enabling subtitles with a press of the subtitling button, which should give language options.

I think we would all prefer the Eurocinema channel to be available as part of our subscription, but if the only way we can get it is as an add-on subscription, that would be preferable to not being able to access the channel at all. However, that would seriously reduce the number of people likely to access the channel.

LouH 22-02-2017 10:09

Thank you again - it has been really helpful to connect with you all. Wishing you well, Louise.

Jacquesb 25-02-2017 10:41

Eurocinema is something that would definitely appeal to me - especially if you will have a "back catalogue" of French/German/Spanish movies including great directors like Chabrol, Fassbinder etc.

pengedragon 26-02-2017 08:35

me too, big fan of 'foreign' cinema

hope we see it soon

OLD BOY 04-03-2017 11:31

TV4 could be a good addition to our bouquet of streaming channels on the Tivo. It will have an international dimension and the amount of original programming suggests that we shouldn't have rights issues getting in the way.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...-ott-services/

TV4 Entertainment andall3media International , have announced a new venture that sees TV4’s platform expertise join with all3media International’s programme content.

The strategic partnership will launch OTT channels across multiple genres, with the first offering – a yet-to-be-named channel featuring Home and Garden themed programming – debuting in Spring 2017. TV4Entertainment and all3media International are expected to collaborate on additional themed channels exploring the diverse areas of the company’s library of content.

Throughout the course of the partnership, TV4 Entertainment will produce exclusive original content for each channel, with all3media International having first-look rights to co-produce, finance and globally distribute TV4 Entertainment’s original productions in each channel genre.

TV4 Entertainment will operate each channel under its growing portfolio of over 30 OTT brands, with worldwide direct-to-consumer subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) distribution though online and mobile browsers, smartphone and tablet apps, as well as connected televisions and streaming devices such as AppleTV, Roku, and FireTV. Distribution will also extend to the Amazon Channels platform while the parties will collaborate to seek partnerships with other global digital and linear distributors....

OLD BOY 17-05-2017 17:12

Pluto TV would be a good addition to our on demand offering, and free, too!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...from-pluto-tv/

Free VoD from Pluto TV

American free Internet television service Pluto TV has launched its free VoD offering. This new feature adds to the 100+ curated channels enjoyed by more than 6 million Pluto TV viewers each month.

As with Pluto TV’s lean-back television channels, the VoD offering is powered by premium content partnerships with major networks, studios, and digital media brands. Premium content providers such as Lionsgate, MGM, and Warner Bros., among others, will power the new VoD offering with content that includes 1000s of hit movies and TV shows. Pluto TV viewers will have free access to movies such as MGM’s Silence of the Lambs, The Usual Suspects, Species 1, 2, and 3 and Paramount Pictures’ Vanilla Sky, as well as complete TV shows such as Lionsgate’s ALF, and Warner Bros’ The Ben Stiller Show and Super Fun Night whenever they want.

“We are always striving to deliver the best curated entertainment offerings to our viewers,” said Tom Ryan, CEO of Pluto TV. “Over six million viewers enjoy our lean-back offering of more than 100 live, interest-based channels. We’re excited to give them even more ways to enjoy the content they love, and now they can pick specific movies and TV shows to watch on demand. Both options are curated and completely free.”

In addition to 100+ channels of programming, viewers can now enjoy the Video on Demand offering by accessing Pluto TV in the living room (Amazon’s Fire TV, Roku, Android TV, Chromecast, Smart TVs including Vizio, Hisense, and Sony, and gaming consoles such as PS4), on the go (apps for iOS, Android, and Amazon), at their fingertips on PC and Mac, or on the web at www.Pluto.TV.

Pluto TV has also announced new partnerships including content from Lionsgate, Warner Bros., MGM, CNBC, Great Big Story, Hearst Entertainment, Al Jazeera Entertainment, The Orchard, Defy Media, Machinima, Studio71, Tastemade, and others. These are in addition to content deals already in place with providers such as Paramount Pictures, Fremantle, Endemol Shine International, Yahoo!, CNBC, Cheddar, and Mashable.

Chad 17-05-2017 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35899256)
Pluto TV would be a good addition to our on demand offering, and free, too!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...from-pluto-tv/

Free VoD from Pluto TV

American free Internet television service Pluto TV has launched its free VoD offering. This new feature adds to the 100+ curated channels enjoyed by more than 6 million Pluto TV viewers each month.

As with Pluto TV’s lean-back television channels, the VoD offering is powered by premium content partnerships with major networks, studios, and digital media brands. Premium content providers such as Lionsgate, MGM, and Warner Bros., among others, will power the new VoD offering with content that includes 1000s of hit movies and TV shows. Pluto TV viewers will have free access to movies such as MGM’s Silence of the Lambs, The Usual Suspects, Species 1, 2, and 3 and Paramount Pictures’ Vanilla Sky, as well as complete TV shows such as Lionsgate’s ALF, and Warner Bros’ The Ben Stiller Show and Super Fun Night whenever they want.

“We are always striving to deliver the best curated entertainment offerings to our viewers,” said Tom Ryan, CEO of Pluto TV. “Over six million viewers enjoy our lean-back offering of more than 100 live, interest-based channels. We’re excited to give them even more ways to enjoy the content they love, and now they can pick specific movies and TV shows to watch on demand. Both options are curated and completely free.”

In addition to 100+ channels of programming, viewers can now enjoy the Video on Demand offering by accessing Pluto TV in the living room (Amazon’s Fire TV, Roku, Android TV, Chromecast, Smart TVs including Vizio, Hisense, and Sony, and gaming consoles such as PS4), on the go (apps for iOS, Android, and Amazon), at their fingertips on PC and Mac, or on the web at www.Pluto.TV.

Pluto TV has also announced new partnerships including content from Lionsgate, Warner Bros., MGM, CNBC, Great Big Story, Hearst Entertainment, Al Jazeera Entertainment, The Orchard, Defy Media, Machinima, Studio71, Tastemade, and others. These are in addition to content deals already in place with providers such as Paramount Pictures, Fremantle, Endemol Shine International, Yahoo!, CNBC, Cheddar, and Mashable.

More likely to be on SKY:

http://startups.sky.com/news-and-eve...tartup-plutotv

Taf 17-05-2017 18:01

Quote:

For UK viewers, a stripped-down version of the service is currently available through its website using a subset of its U.S. content, but it appears that most of the company’s current UK activities are focused on its relationship with Pay TV operator Sky – which invested $500,000 in the company back in October 2014 as part of its Series A financing, and also participated in the latest Series B round.

Back in 2014, Sky said that the partnership would enable Sky “to draw on the ground-breaking work Pluto.TV are doing to help viewers discover and enjoy the best of online TV through an intuitive and editorially rich TV platform.”

Not much has publically been said about the relationship since then, but it now appears that behind the scenes, Pluto.TV has been actively involved in Sky’s next-generation Sky Q product, which launched in February – and ‘curation’ is a major part of the support it has been offering.
http://v-net.tv/2016/11/08/pluto-tv-...n-sky-q-offer/

OLD BOY 17-05-2017 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35899265)

Oh, God - you're probably right, given they have invested in this, although it doesn't talk in terms of exclusivity.

Chad 17-05-2017 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35899276)
Oh, God - you're probably right, given they have invested in this, although it doesn't talk in terms of exclusivity.

Very true. Might be money to be made having it on other platforms

Mr K 17-05-2017 21:16

Still no sign of Talking Pictures, available on every platform, apart from VM.
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk

denphone 18-05-2017 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35899303)
Still no sign of Talking Pictures, available on every platform, apart from VM.
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk

And one suspects you will be waiting for it a fair while yet Mr K.

Mr K 18-05-2017 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35899319)
And one suspects you will be waiting for it a fair while yet Mr K.

Oooh, you're so negative Den ;)

I have faith that VM are negotiating every minute of the day to get this free film channel it's customers are missing out on (actually i can get it on freeview but that's not the point, as it's not an option for many...)

denphone 18-05-2017 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35899396)
Oooh, you're so negative Den ;)

I have faith that VM are negotiating every minute of the day to get this free film channel it's customers are missing out on (actually i can get it on freeview but that's not the point, as it's not an option for many...)

Me negative :shocked:;) as l think you would be top of the charts on that score..;)

OLD BOY 20-06-2017 16:19

You'd think, with Liberty Global's stake in Lionsgate, Virgin Media would start to benefit from its programming, wouldn't you? I'm still hoping for a Lionsgate on demand channel at some point in the near future, but I am highly likely to be disappointed!

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20170620...#axzz4kYWAGVi3

Lionsgate licenses leading dramas to HBO Europe

Global content giant Lionsgate has inked a major licensing agreement with HBO Europe for a number of premium Lionsgate and Starz titles to air across the Central and Eastern European Region, the Nordics and Spain.

The package includes leading Starz original dramas The White Princess, which debuted in the US in April, The White Queen, as well as the hit Lionsgate series Graves. This complements an earlier deal with HBO Europe for the series Casual, American Lion and Dimension 404. Lionsgate's slate of new programming also includes LA Screenings drama 10 Days in the Valley (10x1 hour), starring Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer), and Dirty Dancing, a reimagining of the film for television as a three hour musical event starring Abigail Breslin as Baby, Debra Messing as Marjorie Houseman, and introducing Colt Prattes as Johnny Castle.

Commenting on the deal, Lionsgate president of international television and digital distribution, Peter Iacono, said: “We are delighted to continue our long partnership with HBO for premium programming to serve their viewers in the Nordics, Spain and Central and Eastern Europe. The deal marks a great kick-off to the NATPE Budapest market, which we enter with a massive library and a deep pipeline of brand new scripted and unscripted series including Candy Crush, The White Princess and Kicking and Screaming and which we look forward to sharing with our clients.”

“With this package of very strong titles from Lionsgate we are pleased to be providing our dedicated series fans with a new batch of wide-ranging premium programming,” added Ragnhild Thorbech, SVP programming and acquisitions, HBO Europe.

passingbat 20-06-2017 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35904077)
You'd think, with Liberty Global's stake in Lionsgate, Virgin Media would start to benefit from its programming, wouldn't you? I'm still hoping for a Lionsgate on demand channel at some point in the near future, but I am highly likely to be disappointed!

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20170620...#axzz4kYWAGVi3

Lionsgate licenses leading dramas to HBO Europe

Global content giant Lionsgate has inked a major licensing agreement with HBO Europe for a number of premium Lionsgate and Starz titles to air across the Central and Eastern European Region, the Nordics and Spain.

The package includes leading Starz original dramas The White Princess, which debuted in the US in April, The White Queen, as well as the hit Lionsgate series Graves. This complements an earlier deal with HBO Europe for the series Casual, American Lion and Dimension 404. Lionsgate's slate of new programming also includes LA Screenings drama 10 Days in the Valley (10x1 hour), starring Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer), and Dirty Dancing, a reimagining of the film for television as a three hour musical event starring Abigail Breslin as Baby, Debra Messing as Marjorie Houseman, and introducing Colt Prattes as Johnny Castle.

Commenting on the deal, Lionsgate president of international television and digital distribution, Peter Iacono, said: “We are delighted to continue our long partnership with HBO for premium programming to serve their viewers in the Nordics, Spain and Central and Eastern Europe. The deal marks a great kick-off to the NATPE Budapest market, which we enter with a massive library and a deep pipeline of brand new scripted and unscripted series including Candy Crush, The White Princess and Kicking and Screaming and which we look forward to sharing with our clients.”

“With this package of very strong titles from Lionsgate we are pleased to be providing our dedicated series fans with a new batch of wide-ranging premium programming,” added Ragnhild Thorbech, SVP programming and acquisitions, HBO Europe.

They can only bring to the UK, content that is not tied to another UK broadcaster. That rules out HBO, Starz and Showtime for starters.

Content is sold regionally.

OLD BOY 20-06-2017 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35904086)
They can only bring to the UK, content that is not tied to another UK broadcaster. That rules out HBO, Starz and Showtime for starters.

Content is sold regionally.

For the time being, yes, but contracts come up for renewal.

However, it does appear that just because the parent company of Virgin Media owns a content provider, it is not necessarily the case that it will put its subsidiary company in a good position to benefit from the content deals it signs up to.

Very strange, but unfortunately, true.

Arthurgray50@blu 20-06-2017 19:31

I was speaking with a VM sales rep today. And l asked the usual question about Sky Atlantic.

The rep told me that SA will NEVER be on VM, as vm want it for FREE. And VM will not get it.

Sky is always offering to VM - this came from a Sky rep further in the Shopping Park. for a price.

But, VM have said they will only take the channel if offered FREE.

So members, it wont be on VM

Paul 20-06-2017 21:31

I honestly dont know why people care so much about it.
There is hardly anything good on it, and there are always other means to access the couple of exceptions.

spiderplant 20-06-2017 21:38

Arthur: do you seriously think sales reps are privy to confidential contractual information? And not only that, they are authorised to relay said info to any random bloke that comes up to them in the street?

jj20x 21-06-2017 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35904113)
I was speaking with a VM sales rep today. And l asked the usual question about Sky Atlantic.

The rep told me that SA will NEVER be on VM, as vm want it for FREE. And VM will not get it.

Sky is always offering to VM - this came from a Sky rep further in the Shopping Park. for a price.

But, VM have said they will only take the channel if offered FREE.

So members, it wont be on VM

Oh well, if the sales rep said that, we can all give up hope of the channel ever joining VM. On the other hand, shouldn't you be asking some of the most informed people within VM, the office cleaners? Your next task, find one of VM's office cleaners and ask them the question. That could give us a final, conclusive, confirmation of the situation.

Don't forget to also get an opinion from a Sky office cleaner...

Mad Max 25-06-2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35904134)
I honestly dont know why people care so much about it.
There is hardly anything good on it, and there are always other means to access the couple of exceptions.

Your opinion of course, there's a few shows on there that people on here have said they would like to see!

Paul 25-06-2017 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35904795)
Your opinion of course, there's a few shows on there that people on here have said they would like to see!

Quote:

:sleep:

Mad Max 25-06-2017 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35904134)

More than a couple imo.

nicknewark 26-06-2017 11:09

I have access to it on NOWTV, and TBH I haven't looked at Atlantic for ages, It's not all that great, Game Of Thrones, yes I will watch, but doesn't that finish this season, correct me if I'm wrong?.

Netflix has much better content, without a doubt, Just my opinion. :)

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

The first series of True Detective, was great, the second, I didn't even bother.

Mad Max 26-06-2017 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknewark (Post 35904868)
I have access to it on NOWTV, and TBH I haven't looked at Atlantic for ages, It's not all that great, Game Of Thrones, yes I will watch, but doesn't that finish this season, correct me if I'm wrong?.

Netflix has much better content, without a doubt, Just my opinion. :)

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

The first series of True Detective, was great, the second, I didn't even bother.

Did you ever watch Billions, or Ray Donovan.

denphone 26-06-2017 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35904878)
Did you ever watch Billions, or Ray Donovan.

Excellent series IMO.

OLD BOY 26-06-2017 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35904882)
Excellent series IMO.

The Affair, Aquarius, Banshee, Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire, Brotherhood, The Catch, Confirmation, Deadwood, Dexter, Fleming, Fortitude, Guerilla, Hit and Miss, The Last Panthers, The Wizard of Lies, The Leftovers, House of Lies, Mad Men, The Night Of, Nurse Jackie, Penny Dreadful, Riviera, Sleeper Cell, The Sopranos and The Tunnel are a few others that have been omitted from the most recent account of what's been on Sky Atlantic!

I've seen quite a few, but not all, of these programmes, as well as Game of Thrones, and those I've seen I have really enjoyed. I do think that those who try to rubbish Sky Atlantic are only doing so to make themselves feel better about not getting it.

The stuff from Sky Atlantic alone makes it well worthwhile to subscribe to the Now TV Entertainment Pack, IMHO.

Mad Max 26-06-2017 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35904886)
The Affair, Aquarius, Banshee, Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire, Brotherhood, The Catch, Confirmation, Deadwood, Dexter, Fleming, Fortitude, Guerilla, Hit and Miss, The Last Panthers, The Wizard of Lies, The Leftovers, House of Lies, Mad Men, The Night Of, Nurse Jackie, Penny Dreadful, Riviera, Sleeper Cell, The Sopranos and The Tunnel are a few others that have been omitted from the most recent account of what's been on Sky Atlantic!

I've seen quite a few, but not all, of these programmes, as well as Game of Thrones, and those I've seen I have really enjoyed. I do think that those who try to rubbish Sky Atlantic are only doing so to make themselves feel better about not getting it.

The stuff from Sky Atlantic alone makes it well worthwhile to subscribe to the Now TV Entertainment Pack, IMHO.

Totally agree with you OB, but you'll still have the doubters.....:rolleyes:

denphone 27-06-2017 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35905019)
Totally agree with you OB, but you'll still have the doubters.....:rolleyes:

Doubters are there sadly in all walks of life MM so nothing new there.:)

OLD BOY 27-06-2017 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905050)
Doubters are there sadly in all walks of life MM so nothing new there.:)

Well, as so many of the doubters don't have Sky Atlantic and therefore haven't seen these programmes, I don't see how they can say there's nothing of note on the channel.

Yes, there's a lot of rubbish fillers in the schedule, like all the non premium Sky channels, but it is the gems in between that make the channel worth having.

denphone 27-06-2017 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905062)
Well, as so many of the doubters don't have Sky Atlantic and therefore haven't seen these programmes, I don't see how they can say there's nothing of note on the channel.

Yes, there's a lot of rubbish fillers in the schedule, like all the non premium Sky channels, but it is the gems in between that make the channel worth having.

We have Now TV as a app on our smart TV so we have enjoyed obviously many of the good series on Sky Atlantic where currently GOT and Riviera are currently being watched in our household.

We see Now TV as a added extra to supplement the stuff we watch on linear TV as l am sure many others do.

OLD BOY 27-06-2017 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905065)
We have Now TV as a app on our smart TV so we have enjoyed obviously many of the good series on Sky Atlantic where currently GOT and Riviera are currently being watched in our household.

We see Now TV as a added extra to supplement the stuff we watch on linear TV as l am sure many others do.

Yes, Now TV is certainly a good app to have, given the omission of Sky Atlantic from the VM platform.

denphone 27-06-2017 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905094)
Yes, Now TV is certainly a good app to have, given the omission of Sky Atlantic from the VM platform.

That is unlikely to change anytime soon unless the wise folks at the top of Virgin Media suddenly have a change of heart.

OLD BOY 27-06-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905134)
That is unlikely to change anytime soon unless the wise folks at the top of Virgin Media suddenly have a change of heart.

Yes, another two years at least before that could happen!

denphone 27-06-2017 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905192)
Yes, another two years at least before that could happen!

2 plus another 5 one suspects OB.

denphone 06-07-2017 13:40

Virgin moves into original kids commissioning.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/71370...commissioning/

OLD BOY 17-07-2017 17:15

So Virgin Media may be getting the benefit of Platform One programming in the medium term. That's a promising development.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...endent-prodco/

denphone 20-07-2017 12:20

DHX Media signs distribution deal with Virgin TV.

http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/d...rgin-tv/046271

muppetman11 31-07-2017 11:13

Twilight creator Stephenie Meyer brings a new supernatural saga to TV

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/ne...ral-tv-series/

OLD BOY 04-08-2017 17:21

This could be good for VM. If the wholesale deal they have with BT could be extended to cover AMC in addition to BT Sport, this would help AMC's advertising revenues quite a lot, I would have thought.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/72732...onal-business/

Not a bad little channel, AMC.

denphone 05-08-2017 06:22

It won't happen OB.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 09:07

I believe the Velocity channel operates only from the UUS at the moment, but I wonder whether TEN will be a candidate for consideration for the VM platform, given that this will become a Discovery company.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...siast-network/