Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704749)

Mick 14-04-2017 14:34

[Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea

BREAKING: China State TV says Air China Flights between Beijing and North Korean Capital, Pyongyang, will be suspended from Monday due to activity at a Nuclear Missile test facility.

Looks like China has had enough.

North Korea officials say they will be going ahead with a Nuclear missile test, despite warnings from China and U.S President Donald Trump that there will be serious consequences if they go ahead with the strike.

http://www.focus-fen.net/news/2017/0...ng-monday.html

Osem 14-04-2017 15:15

Re: North Korea

More here:

The U.S. is prepared to launch a preemptive strike with conventional weapons against North Korea should officials become convinced that North Korea is about to follow through with a nuclear weapons test, multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

Quote:

North Korea has warned that a "big event" is near, and U.S. officials say signs point to a nuclear test that could come as early as this weekend.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...uclear-n746366

Just what the world needs - more instability...

Ramrod 14-04-2017 17:52

To be fair. 'We' can't stand around and simply let North Korea get a viable nuclear capability. 20 years of sanctions haven't achieved anything because China haven't been on side with them and now 'we' really have to put our foot down before fat boy figures out how to nuke more than his own back yard.

Osem 14-04-2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35894668)
To be fair. 'We' can't stand around and simply let North Korea get a viable nuclear capability. 20 years of sanctions haven't achieved anything because China haven't been on side with them and now 'we' really have to put our foot down before fat boy figures out how to nuke more than his own back yard.

Don't get me wrong, I agree something needs to be done, I just wish it didn't. If the N. Koreans are as mad as they appear I guess the US will be trying to destroy their nuclear weapons capability but even if they manage to do that what's to stop the NKs doing something like spreading radioactive material, nerve agents or chemicals around the neighbouring area by whatever means they can? :erm:

Damien 14-04-2017 18:09

For most of the time we were doing ok. It was always a case of just managing them, they might start causing trouble, and we would use a carrot and stick to stop it. China generally did enough because they don't want the West coming in and everyone would rather a slow path to unification rather than the entire and sudden collapse of the country.

However since Kim Jong-un they've got more antagonistic and less predictable. His father would ultimately behave with a degree of rationality and his provocations were usually a intentional attempt to extract a concession from the world. Now Kim Jong-un seems like he really does want to start a fight.

I think it would be better to leave it to China. It's entirely in Chinese interests to stop North Korea getting a missile, they understand the region and the regime better, and they have more influence. We also want to keep China onside considering we're going to have enough problems with Russia to deal with.

papa smurf 14-04-2017 18:32

kill the fat little git .why should millions of people have to fear him and get dragged into war .

Ramrod 14-04-2017 18:33

I don't think that we were doing ok. They now have nuclear capability, more or less, despite our efforts. All they need now is miniaturisation and a viable delivery method.

Osem 14-04-2017 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35894675)
kill the fat little git .why should millions of people have to fear him and get dragged into war .

I imagine that possibility has come up more than a few times amongst the US military and relevant security services. Who knows what'd happen if...

heero_yuy 14-04-2017 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35894678)
I imagine that possibility has come up more than a few times amongst the US military and relevant security services. Who knows what'd happen if...

One of those Afghan MOABs was lobbed into the middle of the celebrations that NK are about to have. Could put our dear leader into real orbit. :D

Hom3r 14-04-2017 18:57

Nukes in the hands of dictators, ain't good.

Take out Kim and NK will be reunified with the South.

Mick 14-04-2017 19:10

Looks like this is getting as real as it has ever been. SkyNews saying China has posted tens of thousands of its troops along South China / N. Korean border.

Japan has said it is sending destroyers to assist with USS Carl Vinson Strike force armada that are currently positioned in the Sea of Japan.

richard s 14-04-2017 22:01

An estimation of 150,000 troops.

Arthurgray50@blu 14-04-2017 23:04

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39600426

Damien 14-04-2017 23:28

It's time for China to step up here. If they are the Asian superpower then this is a test of that. They're so wary of taking a more active role.

RizzyKing 15-04-2017 07:36

The instability within the north korean regime has thrown everyone and china is within range of what missiles the north koreans have and can no longer be certain that they won't be targeted. Kim jong un is and always has been an unstable spoilt little brat living in a world where his threats were carried out and he now approaches the world with that​ attitude that worked for him in his personal sphere. Unfortunately he has managed to surround himself with military sycophants and the general brainwashing of the NK population has been ramped up in the last few years meaning an assassination is neither likely to work or even practical as we'd then be dealing with a martyr and plenty of lunatics willing to follow him to the grave regardless of the damage they did.

This whole situation has developed because no one wanted to take action when it could have been done on a vastly smaller scale then it will now. Russia has been increasing relations with north korea and at this time there is no accurate intelligence on what the russians may have given NK. This whole thing plays out well for russia no matter how it goes and i believe there is a great deal of russian manipulation involved here giving a silly little man weapons and technologies he is not able to use rationally.

North Korea is now a problem that only has a happy ending if it's resolved from within it's own borders but that's not very likely and anyone from outside solving this is going to create one hell of a mess.