Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Security on an Android tablet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712551)

Rillington 14-03-2024 09:34

Security on an Android tablet

I've just bought a Samsung tablet which I think is an Android device and I am wondering how much security I would need.

I currently have Norton, which comes with 10 licences - ie I can sue it on up to 10 different devices. However, I have been given the impression that Tablets are less prone to attacks. Therefore, would I need this level of security on an Android, or would the occasional scan using Malwarebytes be enough, assuming Norton and Malwarebytes work on a tablet.

Jaymoss 14-03-2024 09:40

Re: Security on an Android tablet

I have bit defender on my phone. Devices are powerful enough to not be slowed down by having security and imo some is always better than none

Stephen 14-03-2024 12:12

I've been using android devices for many years. Both my phone and tablet are Samsung.

I've never felt the need to add any extra security to them. Samsung makes their devices pretty secure with what they already have.

SnoopZ 14-03-2024 15:39

I run Bitdefender Free on my Samsung Android Phone and Tablet, no issues at all and no slow down.

Rillington 15-03-2024 08:07

Thank you for the thoughts so far.

If Norton does work with an Android then I'd probably instal it and I'd always instal Malwarebytes in any case, as I've always seen it as an excellent programme. It's such a shame that Malwarebytes also doesn't look for other threats. If it did I'd bin Norton in an instant.

Paul 15-03-2024 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36172027)
I've been using android devices for many years. Both my phone and tablet are Samsung.

I've never felt the need to add any extra security to them. Samsung makes their devices pretty secure with what they already have.

This.

Never added anything other than what Samsung supply.

Hom3r 15-03-2024 20:31

I did have Avast on my netbook, phone and tablet. ditched them long ago.

tweetiepooh 18-03-2024 10:21

I also have Norton on Android. It adds VPN which can be useful and all the other Norton stuff. It doesn't seem to get in the way.

Rillington 19-03-2024 10:59

Would a VPN seem like a sensible thing to add given that it will be using a wifi connection as opposed to my ethernet connection?

SnoopZ 19-03-2024 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36172248)
Would a VPN seem like a sensible thing to add given that it will be using a wifi connection as opposed to my ethernet connection?

You don't need a VPN to use a wireless device on your own home network, or any home network for family and friends, I think you're over thinking things.

Itshim 19-03-2024 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36172250)
You don't need a VPN to use a wireless device on your own home network, or any home network for family and friends, I think you're over thinking things.

Just because you are paranoid don't mean someone not after you .:erm: what is the harm :angel:

SnoopZ 19-03-2024 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36172269)
Just because you are paranoid don't mean someone not after you .:erm: what is the harm :angel:

I'm not paranoid.

If I was paranoid I would use VPN on everything I use for the internet, I've only just purchased a VPN to allow me to watch Formula 1 TV Pro as that isn't available in the UK.

Paul 19-03-2024 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36172248)

I dont see the connection between the two, why a VPN simply becasue you're using WiFi ?

tweetiepooh 20-03-2024 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36172279)
I dont see the connection between the two, why a VPN simply becasue you're using WiFi ?

It's not secured Wifi that's the problem but those public, open WiFi hotspots. Norton can detect this and turn the VPN on automatically (and off when the network is "secure"). The VPN can also route via other nations so I use Eire to listen to radio stations that I can't get since Brexit.

Rillington 27-03-2024 12:00

Thank you or that very useful information.