Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 11-08-2004 01:25

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

I, Robot

Much better than I had expected.

OK, so it's packed with blatant product placement (Converse, Audi, JVC, ..... :rolleyes: ), but not as much as in other films I've seen.

OK, so Asimov is probably spinning in his grave....really, really spinning....

But....It's still damn good fun! Good action, good special effects, good story, etc.

Cheesy, but very enjoyable. Just sit back & enjoy the show.

8/10

etccarmageddon 12-08-2004 21:42

DOGVILLE with Nicole Kidman

we watched about 5mins of this - AVOID THIS STINKING TURD OF A MOVIE AT ALL COSTS - do not rent this pile of ****e.

I wouldnt be able to describe how **** poor it is.

this is a good review:-

http://www.wafflemovies.com/dogville.html

"Dogville is a dog alright. Writer/director Lars von Trier decided to turn Dogville into an experimental film that went as badly as one of my high school chemistry labs. Instead of making a REAL movie, with sets, props, different locations and more, von Trier has staged the entire film on a naked theater stage with chalk outlines for the buildings, and a tape recorder voicing the barking dog. I hope he saved enough chalk to outline the carcass of his dead career, or maybe my body after I croak from outrage..."

Paul 12-08-2004 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Garfield the movie. 7/10
Its amusing but not hilarious as I expected, but its still fun to watch.

Yep, took the youngest to see that with me and we totally enjoyed it. 8/10 from us.

Electrolyte01 12-08-2004 22:43

I, Robot = 8/10

Chris 12-08-2004 22:43

Spidey! And boy was it good. An interesting, well written tale and beautiful to look at. I want to go again!

Feenix 12-08-2004 22:54

Gothika ~ 6/10 kept me out of mischief for an hour and a half

SOSAGES 13-08-2004 09:17

Walking Tall (2004)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2004/08/13.jpg

genre..............: : Action / Drama /Thriller
runtime............: 96 min
iMDB rating.: 5.9/10 (1,812 votes)
iMDB link...: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351977/

Quote:

Plot Outline: When a former member of the U.S. Army Special Forces returns to his small hometown in rural Washington State to revive his family's lumber mill business, he discovers that much has changed, as the normally tranquil town is now besieged by drugs, outbreaks of violence and a general feeling of malaise and terror
Cast:
The rock
Neal Mcdonough
Johnny "Jackass" Knoxville
Ashley Scott

Well - WWE's "The Rock" stars in his 3rd leading role in a film and once again im not disapointed - its not a great film its simple and a bit of mindless action - the fighting wasnt that great but i doubt that had anything to do with the rock him self more the director etc. Knoxville did fine as a co star (a lot better than he did in mib2) and was the comedy relief. Films bassed on a true story with a few hollywood tweaks, the love interest isnt explained well but she is fine so i wouldnt ask many questions either. it didnt go on for too long and had a happy ending so harmless really. but deserves a 6-7 outta 10.

If you do need to see a film with the rock in it pick welcome to the jungle (aka the rundown) it may be naff but its one of the most enjoyable films i have seen all year - especially the monkey scene :)

Tezcatlipoca 15-08-2004 22:13

The Manchurian Candidate (original version, DVD)

Watched it this afternoon. Still a classic. Sinatra is great, & Angela "Murder She Wrote" Lansbury is just...scary.

Excellent.

9/10

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Finally got the DVD for this yesterday. Having seen it now, I wish I had seen it at the cinema.

It is absolutely brilliant. Truly an excellent film.

9/10

mcfc2134 18-08-2004 22:51

Just watched 3 films:

Girl Next Door

Cracking film, and Elisha Cuthbert is so so so fine in it. 9/10.

Along Came Polly

Not as funny as I thought it would be, still, watchable. 7/10

Starsky & Hutch

Really good, better than I expected. 8/10

etccarmageddon 18-08-2004 22:54

Along came polly was very average.

Girl next door was like they used to make films - a modern classic - brilliant camera work/direction and reminded me of those 80s classics such as risky business.

SOSAGES 19-08-2004 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfc2134
Just watched 3 films:

Girl Next Door

Cracking film, and Elisha Cuthbert is so so so fine in it. 9/10.

Along Came Polly

Not as funny as I thought it would be, still, watchable. 7/10

Starsky & Hutch

you and me buddy will never watch films together :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
Girl next door was like they used to make films - a modern classic - brilliant camera work/direction and reminded me of those 80s classics such as risky business.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=228

btw anyone for scuba?

SMHarman 19-08-2004 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfc2134
<snip>
Starsky & Hutch

Agreed, did you notice how many times the bent up the Tomato though. After the bunker on the golf course you could see the chassis had been bent, the last jump over the hill in SFO caused the front wing panel to crumple on landing, another manouver caused the whole of the chrome running strip to bend.

Mal 19-08-2004 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
I Robot - 7/10 (shame it's nothing like the book :()

On a review programme, it said that they only took the very basic premise(sp?) to the story from the book, it's not a exact version of the book.

I saw The Bourne Supremacy today. Not as original as Identity, but still good for the action scenes. The problem is that you know who he is now, there's no mystery. 8/10.

dilli-theclaw 19-08-2004 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal
On a review programme, it said that they only took the very basic premise(sp?) to the story from the book, it's not a exact version of the book.

VERY basic :(

Still a good film on it's own merit's tho :)

SOSAGES 20-08-2004 00:08

a v p

disapointment all round really - i knew the plot for years and it was good it was just done in a way that made me mad.. cant give away to much so i will just moan some more :)

when they meet the predators they dont say cor blimey what the dickens was that - infact they dont say anything for ages - and when their buddies are screaming cos they are being done in by aliens they dont think ohh better go look...also the predators them selves are meant to be young and in training to be a proper predator yet they kinda look slow and overweight and not at all like the ninjas of the first 2 films, yeah they are young but they have had 100 years to prepare for rite of passage and they turn up looking like a couple of fat bums who cant be arsed :)

the plot is explained in a quick 30 second sfx show - and the ending was well pretty cool :) it went from aliens to jurasic park but they left it open in 2 parts at the end one with the water - one on the space ship, and for those thinking heh hows that happen, well cast ur mind back to alien 3 ...it happens.

the actors are unknown so its fine if they all die and no one asks questions - should have had arnie again then it would of rocked a v p v arnie :)

whats right with it? well from the start the director is clever and puts so many images of them into your mind - for example at the start u see something spinning in space and u think ohh queen alien cool - but its a trick as its something else :) also u see a lot of alien spine/tails and they are just common items pretty cunning -

it is a good plot and the sfx were niffty but it wasnt that good it could of been so much better i can only assume its all gonna happen in a sequal maybe then someone will let me know whats going on with wayland as he is the dude that played bishop and his creator in aliens/alien3

overall? 5/10 must try harder and not leave it open for such predictable endings -

also im sure these aliens turned into huge stonking alines way earlier than the other films

*edit*
on another moan it was to short! its avp for christs sake i wanted 2 hours of non stop blood acid guts swearing and the occasional sweaty woman!
run times:
Alien: 117
Aliens: 137
Alien 3: 114
Alien Resurrection: 109
Predator: 107
Predator 2: 108

Alien Vs Predator: 101

other reviews:
http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=18147