Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Bulb energy supplier questions (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707611)

Mr_love_monkey 26-04-2019 21:36

Re: Bulb energy supplier questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35992394)
Why do that, when you can do it yourself for nothing? . They are also only likely to select from providers that pay them commission, not all do.

..because it takes time and effort to do it, and I feel I'd rather invest my free time elsewhere - not to mention that I regularly forget to do it - I always mean to, but other stuff trumps it.

They say they take no commission from the suppliers... and I feel that if I am paying them, then I may actually get impartial advice, as opposed to the comparison sites which are doing things for 'free'

SnoopZ 22-06-2019 13:30

After nearly a month of being with Bulb they're saying my monthly usage is £79 for Electricity and Gas which i am very pleased about as Eon wanted to up my debits to £128 a month!

Obviously Gas usage will go up in the colder months but so far i am very pleased, also got £50 added to the account for switching and so did my parents.

I can't believe how simple it was to switch, if i had known i would have done this years ago.

Mr K 22-06-2019 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35999942)
After nearly a month of being with Bulb they're saying my monthly usage is £79 for Electricity and Gas which i am very pleased about as Eon wanted to up my debits to £128 a month!

Obviously Gas usage will go up in the colder months but so far i am very pleased, also got £50 added to the account for switching and so did my parents.

I can't believe how simple it was to switch, if i had known i would have done this years ago.

Do it every year, it rarely pays with the same supplier for more than a year. Plus of course you can usually get a bit of cashback for switching.

Angua 22-06-2019 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35999945)
Do it every year, it rarely pays with the same supplier for more than a year. Plus of course you can usually get a bit of cashback for switching.

Yup. Always pays to watch out for exit penalties, although even these do not apply within 49 days of your contract ending.

SnoopZ 14-11-2019 17:46

So i have been with Bulb for around 5 months now and still paying £77 a month for Gas and Electricity and my credit balance is showing as £174.83 so i am extremely happy with that so far!

If i had still been with Eon i would be paying atleast £118 a month for both fuels, so i am paying £41 a month less with alot still in credit.

It pays to shop around people if you are someone like me who never considered changing supplier!

Mr K 14-11-2019 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36017132)
So i have been with Bulb for around 5 months now and still paying £77 a month for Gas and Electricity and my credit balance is showing as £174.83 so i am extremely happy with that so far!

If i had still been with Eon i would be paying atleast £118 a month for both fuels, so i am paying £41 a month less with alot still in credit.

It pays to shop around people if you are someone like me who never considered changing supplier!

I really wouldn't build up too much of a credit balance, it's not for your benefit. My current supplier, Symbio, only charges for actual use each month, which is a nice change.

SnoopZ 14-11-2019 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36017133)
I really wouldn't build up too much of a credit balance, it's not for your benefit. My current supplier, Symbio, only charges for actual use each month, which is a nice change.

I will look into whether i can reduce the payments online, I'm paying £77.19 a month and energy usage is showing as £80 for November but this seems to change alot, sometimes alot lower strangely, i will give it a month or so to see how the gas usage hits the credit.

Matthew 14-11-2019 17:56

I've been with them for a year, was paying £102 a month, and have referred 2 people so made £100. My payments have been reduced to £83, currently sat with £350 in credit. Will cover me as I use more over the winter. Previously with British Gas and having been stung a few quarters with large bills I went on monthly and was paying for what I used which worked nicely but moving to Bulb changed that but still saved me a pretty penny.

SnoopZ 14-11-2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 36017135)
I've been with them for a year, was paying £102 a month, and have referred 2 people so made £100. My payments have been reduced to £83, currently sat with £350 in credit. Will cover me as I use more over the winter. Previously with British Gas and having been stung a few quarters with large bills I went on monthly and was paying for what I used which worked nicely but moving to Bulb changed that but still saved me a pretty penny.

I would look into reducing your monthly payments too then.

Matthew 14-11-2019 18:02

I have just reduced but will be cracking heating up soon so will be using more. Don't mind been in a bit of credit saves having to worry about it over the winter then.

SnoopZ 14-11-2019 18:07

I've just reduced my payments down to £70 a month to see how that goes, everything is so easy to do on their site compared to Eons!

daveeb 14-11-2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36017138)
I've just reduced my payments down to £70 a month to see how that goes, everything is so easy to do on their site compared to Eons!

I moved from Eon as well, their prices were getting silly. I did consider Bulb but ended with Octopus who have a similarly good reputation. No exit fees and if you're in credit you can get some money refunded with a couple of clicks. Definitely worth considering moving away from the big boys.

oliver1948uk 15-11-2019 10:32

I strongly recommend Octopus provided you are happy to do everything online and to send in your own monthly meter readings. Reduced my monthly gas/electricity payment to £60 and still in credit to get through what may well be a very cold winter.

Taf 15-11-2019 11:05

Orbit Energy dropped my Direct Debit by £22 per month. I contacted them and said that I had done my calculations, and needed to build up credit to pay the extra cost of the winter months. So they reversed the decrease. That's the whole point of Direct Debits, paying equal amounts each month over the year. Then refunding any excess, or increasing the monthly amount from then on.