Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hotmail: use it or lose it (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33602955)

Theodoric 01-11-2006 19:01

Hotmail: use it or lose it

Is it still true that if you don't access a Hotmail address at least once a month that you will lose it? Also, are the rules the same for .co.uk as for .com?

Paul K 01-11-2006 19:12

Re: Hotmail: use it or lose it

Rules are the same across all the Hotmail domains, think it's once a month and if you don't use it for 90 days it's removed,
http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?pr...il&ct=eformts#
Click more questions and then "Why was my account closed?"

kronas 01-11-2006 19:17

its 30 days of no access, the email address then gets 'reserved' but no incoming emails are recieved, i should think urther inactivity will mean account deletion.

Slyder 01-11-2006 19:47

Stop having your mistress email your secret account and have the wife read how you really feel about her. :D

On a serious note I think Paul is right about it applying to both .com and .co.uk addresses. Not sure on the days grace thou as I like reading how joe bloggs thinks I need help in the bedroom. :D

SMHarman 01-11-2006 20:11

Has this changed or was this always like this? I'm sure there have been times when my hotmail account was not used for months at a time but I still have it.

Theodoric 01-11-2006 20:20

Thanks. So, it looks like 30 days is probably it.

I set up the account for a relative and I'm not sure whether he will be using it that much. Perhaps I would have been better going for a Yahoo account.

I also considered using one of my spare ntl addresses but, to be honest, I'm a little loathe to let anyone use an account that could cause me grief with ntl if it were ever misused, however unlikely this is.

Angua 01-11-2006 20:28

I receive stuff in my hotmail account but do not send stuff :shrug:

Paul K 01-11-2006 20:30

Set them a gmail up instead, a lot less problematic and I think a bit better with its expectations of usage lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmail
What happens to dormant accounts?
If you do not log in to your account for an extended period of time, we shall mark it dormant. After nine consecutive months of inactivity, Google will delete all messages in the account, close it and recycle the username.
If your dormant account is deleted, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to use your previous username again once it has been recycled. Make sure to log in to Google Mail regularly!

v0id 01-11-2006 22:55

you have to log into your gmail account every 90 days, or you lose it ;)

Shaun 01-11-2006 23:20

I love my Yahoo. Perhaps I'm wrong but it does offer me more than Google at the moment. :)

Chrysalis 02-11-2006 04:40

30 days is very short.

90 is reasonable but I think it should be a year.

AndyCambs 02-11-2006 05:53

Googlemail is POP3 compatible too. Hotmail require some exhorbitant payment per year in order to enable synchronisation with Outlook. The arguement was allegedly to stop spammers, but Googlemail don't seem to have this problem...

v0id 05-11-2006 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 34149199)
Googlemail is POP3 compatible too. Hotmail require some exhorbitant payment per year in order to enable synchronisation with Outlook. The arguement was allegedly to stop spammers, but Googlemail don't seem to have this problem...

Really? I have always had my hotmail addy hooked up to Outlook Esxpress, and have never paid a penny

Paul K 05-11-2006 17:56

Yep if you have been using OE since POP access was started with Hotmail then you still have it, if you change your hotmail account or wipe your drive and re-install you will lose access to POP as a file is lost from your HD. At some point though they may stop free access alltogether, I know I lost POP access when I had to clean install Windows a while back.

MadGamer 05-11-2006 19:45

I havent had access to Hotmail through OE for ages.