Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 recording stuttering and pixelated (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709666)

Taf 04-01-2021 11:34

V6 recording stuttering and pixelated

I recorded "The Great" last evening, sat down to watch it and the image and sound stuttered and pixelated from the start. I fast-forwarded, and it was the same throughout the recording.

Also a recording at the same time "NCIS L.A." started like that but quickly became normal.

No faults in our area according to VM.

V6 problem or the TV system? :dunce:

spiderplant 04-01-2021 12:54

Re: V6 recording stuttering and pixelated

Usually pixelation is caused by a signal fault. What channels did you record these from?

Itshim 04-01-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36065037)
I recorded "The Great" last evening, sat down to watch it and the image and sound stuttered and pixelated from the start. I fast-forwarded, and it was the same throughout the recording.

Also a recording at the same time "NCIS L.A." started like that but quickly became normal.

No faults in our area according to VM.

V6 problem or the TV system? :dunce:

Find around the corner from you:D

Taf 04-01-2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36065062)
Usually pixelation is caused by a signal fault. What channels did you record these from?

Channel 4 and Sky One.

spiderplant 04-01-2021 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36065186)
Channel 4 and Sky One.

Hmm, those are on mid-band frequencies which are usually the last to degrade if there's a signal problem, so no clues there. I think you'll need to monitor for a bit longer.

japitts 05-01-2021 09:52

See whether you can watch those channels live, also try pausing live TV and playing a minute or so delayed.

Taf 05-01-2021 12:04

4hd did it again last evening, but the Sky recording was perfect.

I was able to watch 4hd live with no problems, but the recording at the same was corrupted.

spiderplant 05-01-2021 14:09

Ok, it seems likely that your box is faulty. Time to get on the blower

Taf 05-01-2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36065319)
Ok, it seems likely that your box is faulty. Time to get on the blower

Damnit. :(

Binge session to watch as much as I can that is on it now. :(

OLD BOY 06-01-2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36065332)
Damnit. :(

Binge session to watch as much as I can that is on it now. :(

Will you go for a 360 box, Taf?

Taf 06-01-2021 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36065377)
Will you go for a 360 box, Taf?

"Just to mention a few facts.

1) You will lose the recordings on ALL your boxes if you change to the new V360 platform, as the existing boxes will be replaced.

2) V360 only uses one 1TB hard drive box, the rest are diskless half size mini boxes. So you will only have one third of the recording capacity you have now. Pauseing Live TV on a box with no hard drive only gives you 10 minutes maximum. Recordings will be streamed from the main box to the minis, so poor WiFi is not an option".

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...0/td-p/4479781

And to get one you have to upgrade to Ultimate Oomph (Who the heck decides these stupid names?)

OLD BOY 06-01-2021 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36065380)
"Just to mention a few facts.

1) You will lose the recordings on ALL your boxes if you change to the new V360 platform, as the existing boxes will be replaced.

2) V360 only uses one 1TB hard drive box, the rest are diskless half size mini boxes. So you will only have one third of the recording capacity you have now. Pauseing Live TV on a box with no hard drive only gives you 10 minutes maximum. Recordings will be streamed from the main box to the minis, so poor WiFi is not an option".

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...0/td-p/4479781

And to get one you have to upgrade to Ultimate Oomph (Who the heck decides these stupid names?)

I take it that's a no, then! :D

Frankly, I don't blame you and I would keep with my V6 boxes. However, your old box needing replacement is an ideal opportunity to switch to the 360 software, as you would lose your recordings in that eventuality anyway. But again, until they have ironed out those bugs, particularly the recording ones, I won't be changing that either.

Taf 06-01-2021 21:05

I was trying to find out how much extra I would have to pay to get the top tier...

Quote:

We don't have any recommended offers or upgrade available for you right now, however...

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Anyway, back to the fault.

I have set the V6 to record the same programme on 4 and 4HD at the same time, and will watch it live on both by flipping back and forth.

Taf 07-01-2021 13:04

So the recording test showed that only 4hd is affected. I tried 8 other channels around the same time, and 4hd was the only one that stuttered. But it did not do it on live TV.

spiderplant 07-01-2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36065592)
So the recording test showed that only 4hd is affected. I tried 8 other channels around the same time, and 4hd was the only one that stuttered. But it did not do it on live TV.

That's pretty strange. Have you tried channel 103?